Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very interested in the Sonata N Line and looking for some feedback from you early buyers. I have a fairly long commute, approx 65 miles plus some nights another 15+ miles, all in the Boston area. I have recently had a '12 Passat TDI and then '16 Sonata PHEV (plug in hybrid) so I have skewed towards spacious, fuel efficient cars. I am willing to give up some MPGs for some fun in my commute, as long as it is reasonable - this will likely be my last gas powered car (as long as cars like the Ioniq5 and 6 are reasonably priced, they would be my entry into full EV).
What are you seeing for real world mpgs during break in? I know most are likely on winter gas and cooler than normal temps, but please let me know either way. Maybe compare vs your previous car driving in similar conditions. Thinking if I can reasonably see around 28-31 mpgs for most of my drives that it would weigh heavily on going for one. Morning drive is early AM, 5 am, so I avoid heavy traffic and then PM commute can see some heavy delays for 1/3 of the trip, 85% highway.
The N line seems like a pretty good compromise on what I would really like, a premium mid size car that can still haul around my tall self 90% of the time alone and be fun, while also being able to take the family around as needed when we don't need to take the 3 row. You get better power and handling without sacrificing space and (hopefully) the dependability I have had out of 73k+ miles in my current Sonata. Basically, I want an entry level sport sedan style and performance while keeping fuel, maintenance and insurance reasonable (was quoted around $40 more per year vs my current Sonata).

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am very interested in the Sonata N Line and looking for some feedback from you early buyers. I have a fairly long commute, approx 65 miles plus some nights another 15+ miles, all in the Boston area. I have recently had a '12 Passat TDI and then '16 Sonata PHEV (plug in hybrid) so I have skewed towards spacious, fuel efficient cars. I am willing to give up some MPGs for some fun in my commute, as long as it is reasonable - this will likely be my last gas powered car (as long as cars like the Ioniq5 and 6 are reasonably priced, they would be my entry into full EV).
What are you seeing for real world mpgs during break in? I know most are likely on winter gas and cooler than normal temps, but please let me know either way. Maybe compare vs your previous car driving in similar conditions. Thinking if I can reasonably see around 28-31 mpgs for most of my drives that it would weigh heavily on going for one. Morning drive is early AM, 5 am, so I avoid heavy traffic and then PM commute can see some heavy delays for 1/3 of the trip, 85% highway.
The N line seems like a pretty good compromise on what I would really like, a premium mid size car that can still haul around my tall self 90% of the time alone and be fun, while also being able to take the family around as needed when we don't need to take the 3 row. You get better power and handling without sacrificing space and (hopefully) the dependability I have had out of 73k+ miles in my current Sonata. Basically, I want an entry level sport sedan style and performance while keeping fuel, maintenance and insurance reasonable (was quoted around $40 more per year vs my current Sonata).

Thanks!
I was also thinking of getting the N-line, I wanted the 2.5T vs the Limited 1.6Turbo, but IMO you give up options that I wanted HUD plus others, so went with the Limited.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was also thinking of getting the N-line, I wanted the 2.5T vs the Limited 1.6Turbo, but IMO you give up options that I wanted HUD plus others, so went with the Limited.
I have a Limited currently as well. The lack of HUD and ventilated seats doesn't bother me but I don't like giving up memory seats and a heated steering wheel. I don't think either one is a deal breaker though when considering the power, handling and braking upgrades. I think I would enjoy those enhancements more than miss the 2 creature comforts I mentioned.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just switch from my 18 limited to a 21 N line and I love the car. I can say it’s not just about the power it’s a completely different driving experience you definitely should test drive one. I’m only really bummed out about the cooled seats personally. I debated the Kia k5 because you can get all the limited options with the 2.5 turbo but ended up going back to the sonata.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't know why they can't give you a fully loaded N or a limited with the option of the 2.5turbo. When you want everything, money really isn't is a problem. Although, it always amuses me when people buy a luxury car base model, just so that they can keep up with the Jones.

·
Premium Member
2021 Limited 1.6T, 2018 Limited 2.4L, 2015 Limited 2.4L
411 Posts
I've always been in the mindset to get what you want and pay for it. No need paying on something years down the road and not really being satisfied with it. In this case with them not providing the options in the N line, well what can you do, guess you just have to compromise.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,689 Posts
I've always been in the mindset to get what you want and pay for it. No need paying on something years down the road and not really being satisfied with it. In this case with them not providing the options in the N line, well what can you do, guess you just have to compromise.
Go to the K5 GT same car different options and grille. If I replace my LF with another mid/full sized sedan Ill seriously consider the K5 GT. Both the Sonata N and the K5 GT are a lot of value for the performance. I know the K5 front looks a lot like the Charger front end (grille) but I prefer it over the large grille of the DN Sonata. Other than that and the chrome strip on the K5 they are the same platform but a few more choices with the K5 GT and the GT 1 package you get about everything a Sonata Limited has.

But Im driving 30,000 miles a year + alone for my commute and Im leaning toward downsizing to a coupe or smaller sedan next car, the Veloster N, 2022 Elantra N or maybe even the Forte GT. I really dont need the room

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.4l, 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.4l, 2021 Genesis gv80.
13 Posts
Go to the K5 GT same car different options and grille. If I replace my LF with another mid/full sized sedan Ill seriously consider the K5 GT. Both the Sonata N and the K5 GT are a lot of value for the performance. I know the K5 front looks a lot like the Charger front end (grille) but I prefer it over the large grille of the DN Sonata. Other than that and the chrome strip on the K5 they are the same platform but a few more choices with the K5 GT and the GT 1 package you get about everything a Sonata Limited has.

But Im driving 30,000 miles a year + alone for my commute and Im leaning toward downsizing to a coupe or smaller sedan next car, the Veloster N, 2022 Elantra N or maybe even the Forte GT. I really dont need the room
The sonata is faster than the k5

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just switch from my 18 limited to a 21 N line and I love the car. I can say it’s not just about the power it’s a completely different driving experience you definitely should test drive one. I’m only really bummed out about the cooled seats personally. I debated the Kia k5 because you can get all the limited options with the 2.5 turbo but ended up going back to the sonata.
You made the right choice, the Sonata N Line just looks way better inside and out IMO.

·
Registered
131 Posts

I would def do the Elantra N, it’s a beast. Don’t get the Charger wannabe lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally drove one last night, quick test drive on 45 mph roads and the highways, it is a beast! The seats are pretty snug, even when the bolsters are adjusted completely open, this is not a car for wide people, at least in my opinion, definitely something to sit in before you make up your mind. The performance, especially coming from a Sonata Limited plug in hybrid, which for a 2016 was as fast as the 2.0T, was addicting. Even without the quickness, the steering, brakes and stiffer ride made it feel like a different level car. The quickness of the shifts is great, seems as fast as my old VW TDI that had a 6 speed DSG. No weird transmission quirks noticed in the short test drive vs some older dual clutches. This car is definitely on my short list of cars to purchase next. Still looking for some input on my original question though, what kind of mpgs are you all seeing?
As for the K5 GT, yes, it does have more features if you want them for a few $ more or you can save and just have the performance goodness for thousands less. The Sonata is in the sweet spot in the middle with a good mix of features and in my opinion looks a lot better than the Kia.
Even after building this car up in my head, reading everything and watching every youtube video review on it, I still came away very impressed. Just need to make the right deal on the right color.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I finally drove one last night, quick test drive on 45 mph roads and the highways, it is a beast! The seats are pretty snug, even when the bolsters are adjusted completely open, this is not a car for wide people, at least in my opinion, definitely something to sit in before you make up your mind. The performance, especially coming from a Sonata Limited plug in hybrid, which for a 2016 was as fast as the 2.0T, was addicting. Even without the quickness, the steering, brakes and stiffer ride made it feel like a different level car. The quickness of the shifts is great, seems as fast as my old VW TDI that had a 6 speed DSG. No weird transmission quirks noticed in the short test drive vs some older dual clutches. This car is definitely on my short list of cars to purchase next. Still looking for some input on my original question though, what kind of mpgs are you all seeing?
As for the K5 GT, yes, it does have more features if you want them for a few $ more or you can save and just have the performance goodness for thousands less. The Sonata is in the sweet spot in the middle with a good mix of features and in my opinion looks a lot better than the Kia.
Even after building this car up in my head, reading everything and watching every youtube video review on it, I still came away very impressed. Just need to make the right deal on the right color.
Awesome, it gets even better. I just hit 500 miles after another 90 minute round trip to pick up some parts for my truck, and I already can’t wait to drive it again.

I never paid attention to MPG in any car or truck I’ve owned. On my gauge cluster at the bottom it says 22mpg which I’m guessing is current average MPG? If so, it includes a balanced mix of local and highway trips. The problem is, with the power you find yourself wanting to accelerate hard, often. So that’s going to totally negatively affect your gas mileage obviously.

Like I stated before, the Sonata in my opinion has a unique looking, and aggressive exterior and has a much better interior, Dinamica suede and leather seating with red stitching and piping (versus faux leather in the GT, digital gauge cluster versus analog, just to name a few)

I’m partial, but I would definitely get a white one, looks best with the black roof and gloss black accents.

I also like the two grey options as 2nd and 3rd choices in any order which complement the dark grey interior very nicely.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just purchased a Hampton Gray five days ago. I had to go 80 miles from home to find the Hampton Gray. On my drive home, I got 30 MPG highway driving. I have not been able to too many miles since, due to poor weather here in Northern Virginia.
I’ve had 6 BMW M cars over the years. This car feels like an entry level M car. You can feel Albert Biermann in the driving dynamics in this car, which is a good thing. If E39 M5 had an automatic, I think it would feel like this car. I’ve had at least one BMW in my driveway since 1990, and the Sonata N-line feels more like a BMW than any of the current BMWs (excluding M cars). Buy this car and you won’t regret it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just purchased a Hampton Gray five days ago. I had to go 80 miles from home to find the Hampton Gray. On my drive home, I got 30 MPG highway driving. I have not been able to too many miles since, due to poor weather here in Northern Virginia.
I’ve had 6 BMW M cars over the years. This car feels like an entry level M car. You can feel Albert Biermann in the driving dynamics in this car, which is a good thing. If E39 M5 had an automatic, I think it would feel like this car. I’ve had at least one BMW in my driveway since 1990, and the Sonata N-line feels more like a BMW than any of the current BMWs (excluding M cars). Buy this car and you won’t regret it.
Great points, interesting insight coming from a BMW enthusiast. I just surpassed 600 miles, the more I drive it the more I’m loving it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe I test drove the wrong BMW, but that 2021 2 series I drove a few nights before the N Line left me underwhelmed.
The 2 series is the worst. The only one worth getting is the M2 (As you can see, I’m a little bias.).
The new 2 series is based on Mini Cooper platform. Of course, for the price of one M2 you can get two Sonata N-line.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The 2 series is the worst. The only one worth getting is the M2 (As you can see, I’m a little bias.). View attachment 454822 The new 2 series is based on Mini Cooper platform. Of course, for the price of one M2 you can get two Sonata N-line.
Yeah, I love M cars, they’re just too $$$. Just can’t get past the all red gauge cluster/dash lights, they’re really hard on the eyes.

The Hampton Grey looks really good, that was my second color choice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Hampton Grey looks really good, that was my second color choice.
[/QUOTE]
The quartz white was my second color choice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is a great endorsement, will see if I go for one next week. Still want to see where the Ioniq 5 is going to be for price and content when they revealbit on the 23rd. I know they are completely different but still want to check it out. Hope to score a good end of February deal, several more on the lots near me. I like the Hampton Gray but first choice is the Stormy Sea color. Actually drove the silver one and that looked good in person as well, similar to white in that it has good contrast with the black trim.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Actually drove the silver one and that looked good in person as well, similar to white in that it has good contrast with the black trim.
Can never go wrong with bright silver. My third choice. The other available colors look nice, but I’m not a huge fan of how the other colors look with the dark grey and red accented interior. Plus like you said the lighter colors white and silver have nice contrast with the piano black accents and the Hampton Grey looks great with the dark grey interior.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts