Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Several items from the Limited I wish were included or at least made optional:
1. BVM/AVM (didn't some of the prototypes have it?)
2. Matrix LED headlights
3. HUD
4. LSD, not on any model
Still, the n-line is quite well equipped. I am looking forward to a test drive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I really think they should've used that front grill on the N line for the regular sonata to begin with. Makes it look so much better.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I really think they should've used that front grill on the N line for the regular sonata to begin with. Makes it look so much better.
The grill is plastic or fiberglass. I wonder if it could be installed on the other Sonatas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I totally agree, the N-line grill is much more appealing. Gets rid of most of the "catfish" look by narrowing the wide thin slot at the very bottom.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The grill is plastic or fiberglass. I wonder if it could be installed on the other Sonatas?
No, the size and shape is different. Now perhaps you could replace the entire front facia including the bumper cover, but that seems extreme.

·
Registered
402 Posts
No, the size and shape is different. Now perhaps you could replace the entire front facia including the bumper cover, but that seems extreme.
I suppose one could get a vinyl wrap on the black "lip" on the very bottom to match the car's color. I remember someone posting a picture of something like this back when the car first came out. This along with the front license plate would help with the "catfish" look. OTOH, I kind of like the catfish look. Of course, I can never see it while I'm driving. ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
How long before the lower sill of the fascia is destroyed by a curb stop? Especially without AVM. Even the standard Sonata's sill is low (and painted black) and AVM is what's kept mine blemish free. It still baffles me that Hyundai doesn't offer some of the Limited's additional features as an upsell package on the N Line. Interestingly the Canadian N Line has the HUD and projector LEDs so it's not like components from other models can't be shared.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone know when these will start shipping? Someone at Hyundai, or in Alabama who see the new cars heading out must know! I spoke with a few dealers in the Boston area and one said December and the other said next year, January or February.
I am looking to get out of my '16 Sonata PHEV Limited and into something sportier. Wanted used Alfa Romeo Guilia but too small. Next up is used 4 series Gran Coupe or A5 Sportback. These can be found as 2018s with around 30k miles for the same as the Sonata new. Given that I am tall and need to use all 4 seats, I know the Sonata will work and for a blend of the performance, warranty, likely low service costs, spacious interior and the fact that my Hyundai has been completely reliable over 70k miles leads me back to Hyundai and skipping the used luxury market. Also in the hunt for a Palisade Limited, test drove against a used XC90 and came back to the Hyundai. It offers nearly everything I could get on the Volvo except for more power/speed and better mpgs but will easily come in under half the cost for service down the road.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Anyone know when these will start shipping? Someone at Hyundai, or in Alabama who see the new cars heading out must know! I spoke with a few dealers in the Boston area and one said December and the other said next year, January or February.
I am looking to get out of my '16 Sonata PHEV Limited and into something sportier. Wanted used Alfa Romeo Guilia but too small. Next up is used 4 series Gran Coupe or A5 Sportback. These can be found as 2018s with around 30k miles for the same as the Sonata new. Given that I am tall and need to use all 4 seats, I know the Sonata will work and for a blend of the performance, warranty, likely low service costs, spacious interior and the fact that my Hyundai has been completely reliable over 70k miles leads me back to Hyundai and skipping the used luxury market. Also in the hunt for a Palisade Limited, test drove against a used XC90 and came back to the Hyundai. It offers nearly everything I could get on the Volvo except for more power/speed and better mpgs but will easily come in under half the cost for service down the road.
have you driven the 1.6? i have had several fi cars(2 bmw 2002, 2 mazda, 323gt, gtx, 2 mitsubishi, gsx, galant vr4, and 2 mazda millenia). the 1.6 has great torque, and a very flat torque curve. the transmission is not dct, and it very well matched to the engine. smoothest transmission we have ever had. because of the wide and flat torque band, the daily driving of the car is excellent. the hud is the first for us, and i really like it. dunno if the n line has ventilated seats, but oh boy, it is a first for us, and i will never own another car without them. 19" wheels tell me the n wont have a nice ride, and ima bet there are gonna be a lot of bent wheels. we got our 1.6 at 0%, plus rebates, and a great trade. lastly, an unknown is insurance rates. low production car, rates are gonna be higher than the 1.6. i dont see a need for the extra power, and the loss of comfort

·
Registered
12 Posts
have you driven the 1.6? i have had several fi cars(2 bmw 2002, 2 mazda, 323gt, gtx, 2 mitsubishi, gsx, galant vr4, and 2 mazda millenia). the 1.6 has great torque, and a very flat torque curve. the transmission is not dct, and it very well matched to the engine. smoothest transmission we have ever had. because of the wide and flat torque band, the daily driving of the car is excellent. the hud is the first for us, and i really like it. dunno if the n line has ventilated seats, but oh boy, it is a first for us, and i will never own another car without them. 19" wheels tell me the n wont have a nice ride, and ima bet there are gonna be a lot of bent wheels. we got our 1.6 at 0%, plus rebates, and a great trade. lastly, an unknown is insurance rates. low production car, rates are gonna be higher than the 1.6. i dont see a need for the extra power, and the loss of comfort
I haven't driven the 1.6T. I know straight line acceleration isn't everything but my PHEV is actually quicker than the 1.6T. I know I don't "need" the power but I would enjoy it, along with the suspension, transmission and steering rack changes vs other Sonata models (I am more interestedin the handling than the power but the power is definitely a selling point). I have a Limited now so I know I would be giving up the ventilated seats, but I rarely use them. I would miss not having a heated steering wheel, that to me is a much bigger loss than ventilated seats, as well as the memory seat/mirrors. The 1.6T is probably the sweet spot for cost, drivability and mpgs but I am looking to do something a little irrational and prioritize sport over mileage but based on the recent reviews, the N-line seems to balance everything very well. The 19" wheels look great (another selling point to me) and I am not worried about ruining them, even on Boston area roads, still a decent amount of sidewall.

·
Registered
179 Posts
1.6L vs 2.5L turbo is apples to oranges. I'd call the 1.6L "adequate" in that it splits economy vs. performance pretty well. If you read the reviews the N Line has been compared to BMW's and Audi's in terms of performance and poise and more than a view reviewers were shocked at how the whole package performs. If next year they make the Limited "stuff" available on it I'd consider trading just for the enhanced fun factor. If @mtbsteve is looking at Audi's and BMW's the 1.6L and overall chassis tuning of the standard Sonata's would leave him wanting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
1.6L vs 2.5L turbo is apples to oranges. I'd call the 1.6L "adequate" in that it splits economy vs. performance pretty well. If you read the reviews the N Line has been compared to BMW's and Audi's in terms of performance and poise and more than a view reviewers were shocked at how the whole package performs. If next year they make the Limited "stuff" available on it I'd consider trading just for the enhanced fun factor. If @mtbsteve is looking at Audi's and BMW's the 1.6L and overall chassis tuning of the standard Sonata's would leave him wanting.
Completely agree. Just like the PHEV I have is quite a bit different than any of the gasoline-only Sonatas. The PHEV actually drives better and quieter, like a completely different car, mainly due to the heavy battery sitting low and in the back, the car feels solid. But I am am looking for something a little different but want to avoid the large service costs of the euro cars. There are trade offs with everything but so far, every review I have read or watched, people are very impressed with the performance and the total package of the N-line. They only nit pick the lack of limited slip differential and maybe that it would have been better with AWD. Part of the fun for me is researching and test driving so I plan on driving a few different models. Sad to see the traditional US auto mfgs completely give up on sedans but at least we have some good options from other brands. The Kia Stinger might be a better comparison to the 3 Series or A4/A5 but the lack of the rear leg room in the Stinger and G70 just kill it as an option. As a 6'4" person, I could probably make the 3 series or A4/A5 work but they are borderline, that is one of the main reasons the N-Line has me excited, I can get usable, fun performance in a size car that actually fits my family and I without breaking the bank at purchase and hopefully on maintenance/repair down the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How long before the lower sill of the fascia is destroyed by a curb stop? Especially without AVM. Even the standard Sonata's sill is low (and painted black) and AVM is what's kept mine blemish free. It still baffles me that Hyundai doesn't offer some of the Limited's additional features as an upsell package on the N Line. Interestingly the Canadian N Line has the HUD and projector LEDs so it's not like components from other models can't be shared.

Makes me want to go to Canada to get it there. The HUD and matrix headlights are my 2 biggest wants for this car. I've almost decided to wait a year to see if they will be offered for 2022. Sure as heck they will be if I buy now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Completely agree. Just like the PHEV I have is quite a bit different than any of the gasoline-only Sonatas. The PHEV actually drives better and quieter, like a completely different car, mainly due to the heavy battery sitting low and in the back, the car feels solid. But I am am looking for something a little different but want to avoid the large service costs of the euro cars. There are trade offs with everything but so far, every review I have read or watched, people are very impressed with the performance and the total package of the N-line. They only nit pick the lack of limited slip differential and maybe that it would have been better with AWD. Part of the fun for me is researching and test driving so I plan on driving a few different models. Sad to see the traditional US auto mfgs completely give up on sedans but at least we have some good options from other brands. The Kia Stinger might be a better comparison to the 3 Series or A4/A5 but the lack of the rear leg room in the Stinger and G70 just kill it as an option. As a 6'4" person, I could probably make the 3 series or A4/A5 work but they are borderline, that is one of the main reasons the N-Line has me excited, I can get usable, fun performance in a size car that actually fits my family and I without breaking the bank at purchase and hopefully on maintenance/repair down the road.
While I also love the new Sonata N-Line, and have been paying close attention to all the drive reviews and videos, I have never once heard a review complaining about the rear legroom in the Stinger, which incidentally is also rumored to have the option of the Sonata N-Line's 2.5T soon. The G70 yes, but mostly because it is on a shortened wheelbase of the same platform. The other vehicles I wouldn't overlook are the Mazda 6 2.5T, the Honda Accord 2.0T, and the Sonata N-Line's paternal twin, the Kia K5 GT.
One great thing about Hyundai's 2.5T that everyone is failing to mention is the fact that it is direct injected and also port fuel injected to reduce carbon buildup, which plagues so many direct injected only engines.

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
One great thing about Hyundai's 2.5T that everyone is failing to mention is the fact that it is direct injected and also port fuel injected to reduce carbon buildup, which plagues so many direct injected only engines.
I mentioned it in the first post in this thread. ;)

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Limited 2.4L w/Tech & Ult Pkg's
317 Posts
Finally on Hyundai USA site and can compare trims site by site and a bit of disappointment with missing things on N, yes we heard ahead of time, but still: no HUD, BVM, RSPA, Surround view, ventilated front seats (could give it up if I could have the first 4), PCAR, headlights, Memory system, heated steering wheel, maybe few more. Will check with my dealership when they get N and maybe even take for a test drive but just wish the first 4 were available and I would consider/probably traded in my 2017, maybe :).

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Finally on Hyundai USA site and can compare trims site by site and a bit of disappointment with missing things on N, yes we heard ahead of time, but still: no HUD, BVM, RSPA, Surround view, ventilated front seats (could give it up if I could have the first 4), PCAR, headlights, Memory system, heated steering wheel, maybe few more. Will check with my dealership when they get N and maybe even take for a test drive but just wish the first 4 were available and I would consider/probably traded in my 2017, maybe :).
For future reference, I linked to the price sheet in the first post of this thread about a month ago. It shows you all the equipment for each trim level, which would have told you all this.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Limited 2.4L w/Tech & Ult Pkg's
317 Posts
For future reference, I linked to the price sheet in the first post of this thread about a month ago. It shows you all the equipment for each trim level, which would have told you all this.
I know and I mentioned that in my first line :unsure:, just complaining out loud :eek:.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Sonata N-Line pricing and equipment have been announced. It will be $33,200 + $995 destination fee = $34,195.

It comes with a 2.5L turbocharged engine with both MPI and GDI, and a new 8-speed, wet, dual-clutch transmission. It slots between the SEL Plus and Limited in terms of equipment. The only available option is summer tires. Personally, I wish you could get the features from the Limited in the N-line.

Price sheet with equipment details is here: https://www.hyundainews.com/assets/...71-2021MYSonataDealerPriceSheet06Nov20201.pdf

There is also some interesting info in the press release about how the N-line has stiffer suspension and engine/transmission mounts: Hyundai Announces Pricing for High-Performance Sonata N Line with 290 HP and 311 LB-FT of Torque - Hyundai Newsroom
It looks like Hyundai has removed the Homelink mirror from the standard equipment and moved it to a dealer installed option. Do you see anything else that has changed? Also, what are some of the discounted online parts sites for genuine Hyundai parts? I've seen a couple mentioned but can't seem to find them right now. Thanks

21 - 40 of 63 Posts