Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those who own this car, do you find the ride quality to be harsh? Roads around here aren't in the best of shape. Seems the 19" wheels with the 40 profile tires let you feel every single bump on the road.

Maybe it's those continental tires? My all season tires of choice is a michelin a/s 3+ or pilot sport 4s (prob overkill for this car).

Actually, I take that back. The one i test drove had the pirelli pzero all season. Is it the 2021's that came with the continental tires?

·
Registered
2021 Phantom Black Sonata N-Line
79 Posts
That's gonna be any car with low profile tires, big wheels and stiffer springs and bushings. Tire brand isn't gonna make a big difference in harshness unless it has a larger sidewall. If you swap the stock tire size to a different brand, only difference may be road noise and grip. Most N-Lines came with the Pirelli summer tires as an option. I don't think we got the Continentals in the US.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
we have a limited, came with 18" pzeros. installed a set of takeoffs, 17's with michelin primacy. instantly quieter and smoother. but yeah, low profile tires, skinny sidewalls, emphasis is performance over comfort.

·
Registered
665 Posts
My favorite mod is all these young whippersnappers that put 20" wheels on the limited and tell us how great the ride quality is! :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I find the 19" on the N Line obviously harsher than the 17" I had on my Sonata PHEV. But, that was exactly what I wanted vs those taller sidewalls. I don't think the performance vs comfort tradeoff is that bad. If the roads were a lot worse here (and they are certainly not great here around Boston) then maybe I would step down to 18", which is the plan if I buy a 2nd set to put winter tires on.

I thought the Continentals were only offered as the summer tire option vs the Pirelli pzero AS tires that are likely on 90+% of all N Lines? I have never seen N Lines that were different than that but it is a big country and I only visited a few dealers.

·
Registered
Stormy Sea 2021 Sonata N-Line
41 Posts
My N-Line currently has the Continental summer tires on it, and I don't find the ride to be all that rough. I was actually surprised when I first started test driving at how nice the suspension felt for being a performance oriented car.

Its certainly not the softest ride ever. But its a sport tuned suspension and it has bigger lower profile tires, so some bumpiness isn't unexpected. One of the trade offs of performance oriented cars, especially affordable ones.

Having been behind the wheel of quite a few 'budget' performance oriented cars, I would rate the ride of the N-Line higher than most.

As far as road condition, where I live has some rather bad roads and they aren't fixing any of them because there is a city wide sewer replacement plan that requires complete destruction of roads anyway. So instead of repairing anything right now they just drop gravel in it every couple of months.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-line, 2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited
85 Posts
I was initially concerned with the ride quality, but once I test drove one those concerns went away. I would describe it as firm but not harsh. Our 2011 Sonata GLS had a much harsher ride, felt like you were in a cement truck.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
238 Posts
I agree with nos804. My N Line is outfitted with the Pirelli P Zero AS and the ride is firm (not harsh) with moderate road noise. As pointed out the low profile tires (245/40-19) coupled with firm dampers and larger sway bars all contribute to a firm controlled ride.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My reference is a g37s 6mt sedan with michelin pilot super sport tires (not sure of the version, what ever was available in 2016). The suspension was relatively stiff coupled with the high perf summer tires. You would feel a tar stripe in the road. For the most part though the ride quality was relatively compliant and taut. Tires were 225/50/18 front and 245/45/18 rear (stock).

The ride quality got me thinking about long term effects. That is, more rattles down the line, possible noise from the sunroof area, etc. If I do end up buying this, I really wouldn't mind swapping out for 18's. More comfortable ride and cheaper tire replacement costs. I priced out some pilot a/s tires, over a gran in the stock 245/40/19 size.

·
Registered
22 Tuscan SEL ;21 Sonata N Line
302 Posts
The rides gorgeous, not too harsh but not soft either. Its very motivated on the road , handling wise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts