Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that it is very hard to find parts for our cars especially engine parts. I know that these accents will never be fast but are there any other mods besides headers and exhaust, and intake that anyone has tried to increase hp? Im talking about cams and increasing piston bore and such things. Right now I have only heard of the kit from import performance which includes pistons and gaskets Import Performance Parts - Hyundai HP Engine Kits. Has anyone experimented with this yet?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
there isn't really much for this car out there other than headers, exhaust, intake...it's just not an engine that many see worthwhile trying to get more out of.

the pistons are intended for a turbo build and alone they will actually decrease your performance. the 1.6L accent has a fatal flaw when trying to turbo....the piston ring lands are weak and will break with prolonged boosting of 6psi or more....and 6 isn't really a lot for your money when investing in a turbo setup.

these pistons are designed to fix that, give even more strength and *properly* change the compression ratio to allow even more boost. much better way to change compression ratio than a thicker head gasket.

most people going turbo just go with the 2.0L beta...it takes the abuse no problem.

may be a little off topic here, but i hope that gives you some answers at the very least. another thought is improving the handling of the car. that can often be better than just increasing HP.

·
Registered
763 Posts
come to the darkside, do a heart transplant and shove a 2.0 in.

ZG hit the nail on the head though, the power you'd make on a 1.6 after all that money invested would be depressing.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Unless you are going to race in a specific class(autocross, w2w racing, rally, etc) there's not much hp you can get from a 1.6 na without spending big money. With all the money you spent to make the 1.6 faster, you have enough to swap in the beta 2 from an elantra/tiburon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that is a bit of a bummer right now i am doing just that trying to stiffen up the suspension and maybe think about a stage 2 clutch in the future. anyone tried messing the the ecu then to get a temporary power increase out of the engine before a swap?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i wouldn't even bother with an upgraded clutch myself. you're not making enough power to cause the stock clutch to slip. if it holds, it holds. whats the point?

minimal gains can be had from ECU tuning in any car. the exception is supporting mods that increase airflow beyond what the ECU is programmed to handle and then you start messing with the fuel trim tables.

look at it this way: if you were able to get an extra 10hp out of just a computer reprogram, don't you think hyundai would have done that already?

·
Registered
329 Posts
look at it this way: if you were able to get an extra 10hp out of just a computer reprogram, don't you think hyundai would have done that already?
To be fair, they do have certain standards for economy and reliability to uphold. There might be a little bit of headroom if they were allowed to sell cars that only ran on premium, barely idled, and could blow a rod at any moment. (Sounds kind of exciting, really). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
78 Posts
if you want any parts for ur engine ur gonna hav to do custom work, there are no off the shelf parts for our car which sucks ass

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
To be fair, they do have certain standards for economy and reliability to uphold. There might be a little bit of headroom if they were allowed to sell cars that only ran on premium, barely idled, and could blow a rod at any moment. (Sounds kind of exciting, really). :rolleyes:

blowing a rod with an NA engine....that's funny. sure if you want to sacrifice driveability, i'm sure you could squeak out a bit more. run on premium, increase spark advance and fun stuff like that. but really, what's the point? the gains are going to be next to nothing.

there's no off the shelf parts for this engine because it sucks ass for performance. its meant to be a cheap economy engine with good reliability - and it does that quite well i think. it's just not a performance engine or anywhere near to that.

its kind of a shame really, a small light 1.6L with a good amount of boost thrown at it would be fun :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
honestly, this combo of the 2.0 motor and the accents handling, nothing like it.

I've done 140 in the car, and it's felt great the whole time. 140lb ft torque in this thing is ridiculous!! Forget boost, throw all that out the window - swap a 2.0 and go for 200hp/200lbft and you'll be happy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
did u use the G4ge engine? i was looking at trying to find a tiburon engine to throw in there is there any other requirements for this swap or is it pretty much a easy transfer?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Im not sure of the engine code honestly, I just know its from the XD elantra. I used a early 00's motor and a later model beta2 ecu - non cvvt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im not sure of the engine code honestly, I just know its from the XD elantra. I used a early 00's motor and a later model beta2 ecu - non cvvt.
is that the ecu that is required?

·
Registered
763 Posts
is that the ecu that is required?
yes sir that is the ecu required.

message me if you do decide to go the 2.0swap routeand ill let you in on the info.

·
22,793 Posts
What's that line from Road House? (Upgrading a 1.6 Accent to a high performance something or the other) "...like putting an elevator in an outhouse. Doesn't belong."

·
Registered
763 Posts
To each their own, speak for yourself.

I have no idea what roadhouse is anyways other than the reference family guy made when peter kicked his steering wheel in his car to do turns.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i've always liked the idea of overpowering a tiny light car myself....power to weight ratio and all that jazz.

but i shouldn't be hypocritical here. a built up accent is not my idea of a dream car by any means.

·
22,793 Posts
I say take that Accent, shoehorn in a 400 CID rat motor, Muncie trans, 4:11 rear gears. Shorten a drive shaft, gut the ECU and the rest of the nonsense, the O2 sensors and associated junk. Dual tips out the back. Slap a couple double pumpers on top the plant with some real fat tires and go hunting. And as someone else said, maybe beef up the suspension? Just in case it starts twisting sideways... LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts