Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all, I inherited a 2012 Sante Fe GLS 4 cyl. from my wife when she got a new minivan. We bought it new and it has only 54,000 miles on it. I've noticed a humming noise in the front passenger side and it sounds like it's coming from the timing belt. Has anyone had this issue before? Any guesses? Would this be covered under my 10yr, 100K mile warranty?

I uploaded a couple of videos of the sound to youtube (2nd one, I throttle to make the sound more noticeable).
https://youtu.be/lAf-p6JUe78
https://youtu.be/o7Iw5XMrQdg

Thanks in advance for the replies!:smile:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Idler Pulley bearing noise..

Probably find it to be the solid mounted adjacent to alternator with smooth face

Get it to where you can usw long screwdriver as probe and listen-feel for noise..

We to the point we keep most all of them on shelf due to engine recall with 2.4L GDI

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idler Pulley bearing noise..

Probably find it to be the solid mounted adjacent to alternator with smooth face

Get it to where you can usw long screwdriver as probe and listen-feel for noise..

We to the point we keep most all of them on shelf due to engine recall with 2.4L GDI
Thanks sbr711. I'll take a look and check the repair manual to see if that's the source. Keep everyone posted...

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Does this probe method work at isolating noises in the engine bay?
It can, but take care since moving parts can turn a solid object into a missile. Try using a length of hose about two or three feet long. It makes a great stethoscope.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You can get one of these https://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-63296.html which makes it easier to listen then bending over the moving parts to hear the noise. Caution is still needed. Stay away from the belts and other moving parts. Put the tip on the attaching bolt of any pulley or on a mounting bracket that is away from the belts. There will be no doubt which component is failing. Great for rattles inside too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So sbr711 was right and it was the lower idler pulley. I replaced it but now am having problems putting the belt back on. I'm trying the new continental elite poly V belts, but I can't get enough torque on the tensioner to get the belt back on. There's not enough space between the bolt and the car frame for my ratchet, so I can only use a thin 17mm wrench. There's no room for a breaker bar either. I'm surprised hyundai designed it so tight. Any one have any suggestions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got the belt back on. It took a ton of brute force and using a ratcheting tie down to give me a breather. The wrench needed to go almost 180 degrees, so I couldn't use a serpentine belt tool that would pass the CV boot or the frame. Anyways, next time I'll probably take it to a mechanic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts