Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a noise in the front end of my GLS (52K miles) and I figured I'd ask if anyone else has experienced it. It's kind of hard to make it happen, but I hear it 2-3 times a day. It doesn't usually happen hitting a bump, but is usually heard when the weight of the vehicle shifts, when there's a sudden incline or drop, like when pulling into a driveway or gas station.

I had a car with a motor mount issue once, which sounded similar. However, I actually had my motor swapped 5K ago, and my noise existed before that.

I have to get to the dealer (I believe 60K is the end of coverage for this kind of thing). I would like to have a little more info or suggestion of what to check, otherwise it will be "we don't hear anything."

Any ideas on narrowing down something like this? I plan to keep this car for a long time, and I'd like to get this found and fixed.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Could be a control arm or bushing, I would guess it's something in your front suspension. Jack your car up and check that all the arms are tight by tugging on them

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
this sounds like what mine was doing. i took it in...and explained it. they couldn't duplicate it. gave it back to me...as i left the parking lot, a difference in grade...put a load on the front end...and tah-dah...it did it. i turned around, went back in....asked the service writer to hop in, he had the tech hop in.

did the same thing, he heard it this time. next day, i had a new axle shaft in the car...all was good after that.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
CV Axle Time!

this sounds like what mine was doing. i took it in...and explained it. they couldn't duplicate it. gave it back to me...as i left the parking lot, a difference in grade...put a load on the front end...and tah-dah...it did it. i turned around, went back in....asked the service writer to hop in, he had the tech hop in.

did the same thing, he heard it this time. next day, i had a new axle shaft in the car...all was good after that.
You beat me to it. I have had both axle shafts replaced on the Sled for this reason.

Also a benefit of the most recent (right axle) replacement: had some furious vibration under braking at speed. Now mysteriously gone!

Me thinks that the earlier model cars have poorly designed CV joints. Also, many of us in this post (Vannatter excluded) are in cold weather climates. I had an issue with my old Fusion where they recalled them in snow belt states due to the wrong grease being used during axle assembly and it basically dried out after a few winters.

Besides the repair covered under the 10/100K so no additional $$ coming out of your pocket!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, axle shafts eh? I better get it to the dealer. I noticed today it is doing it more often than it used to, so it is getting worse, and hopefully it's easier for them to find it.
Does anyone know if the axle shafts are considered part of the drivetrain, 100K warranty? I am at 53K, the 60K B2B is coming up fast.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Both of my axles were replaced under the powertrain. No worries, mate!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts