Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when ever I reverse either to the right or left I get a knocking noise. I'm suspecting the cv joint perhaps? If so does the extended warranty cover this? My car has 42k on it.

·
Registered
237 Posts

Covers repair or replacement of any component manufactured or originally installed by Hyundai that is defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.
  • The following components are covered for time and mileage limits indicated:
  • Radio and audio systems (i.e., radio, compact disc player, DVD player, navigation system and Bluetooth®): 3 years/36,000 miles—Equus: 5 years/60,000 miles
  • Paint: 3 years/36,000 miles
  • Battery: 3 years/unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years/unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered)
  • Air conditioner refrigerant charge: 1 year/unlimited miles
  • Adjustments: 1 year/12,000 miles
  • Wear items: 1 year/12,000 miles (e.g., belts, brake pads and linings, clutch linings, filters, wiper blades, bulbs and fuses)
  • From Hyundai web site.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks snead, but what if I bought my Hyundai used (but Hyundai certified used)? I don't think there should be an issue if anything Ill go see my local dealer this Thursday as I want to get the software updates done as well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks snead, but what if I bought my Hyundai used (but Hyundai certified used)? I don't think there should be an issue if anything Ill go see my local dealer this Thursday as I want to get the software updates done as well.
If they failed to give you a copy of what is covered with Hyundai Certified then I'd call them now.:eek:
Sounds like you're covered. But the devil is often in the details. Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gonna do that now. I should be ok I just looked at my paperwork and forgot I had purchased an extended warranty that covers me bumper to bumper up to 100k. Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh boy. I'm here at my local Hyundai dealership and unfortunately the tech is giving me the run around. First he said the computer showed no errors and explained the jerking and 4 second stalling issues are just delays between the transition from electric to engine due to people assuming the car should drive like a car and they aren't used to driving a hybrid. I had to kindly explain that I get very good mpg and that shows I know how to drive my car and I understand the transitions, but not a 4 second delay that makes the car acts as if it stalled. I mentioned the software updates and he then told me that they only installed updates based on error codes. He then said that my xenonsupply hid kit could possibly interfere and cause issues. Lord he even went as far as to tell me my car already had factory hid installed. I explained to him that they are stock projectors that had a cut off like an hid system but stock was still halogen lights. Sigh this is gonna be a long ordeal....

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Looks like you are going to have to play hardball with this dealer and possibly take your business elsewhere. There are no error codes that will come from being jerky or sluggish. I would talk to the service manager about this and possibly name this dealer on here so others can avoid them. :mad:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well he took the car and that was 2 hours ago. Said he would call me so hopefully he found the updates I told him about and is installing rather than the car sitting in the back service lot. I'll keep you updatedd. Btw it's Valley Hi Hyundai in Victorville California.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well good news the tech called and apologized and told me the reason he didn't see the update was because he needed to update his systems as well. Needless to say he said the updates that were available were listed as drivability improvements in which he has no problems updating regardless of an error code or not. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
Sounds like a CV joint problem at first glance. Wouldn't that be part of the drive line that has a 5 year and 60,000 mile warranty? I thought that transferred to subsequent owners.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like a CV joint problem at first glance. Wouldn't that be part of the drive line that has a 5 year and 60,000 mile warranty? I thought that transferred to subsequent owners.

Well the tech said he looked at the cv joint and it wasn't bad. He did say that there was something in the bottom right part of the radiator bracket that held the automatic trans line or something to that affect that, under the right conditions, could possibly cause the knocking noise that I heard when going over a bump. Its just so happens I am turning when I go over a bump and hear it. He said to keep a listen and if it happens again to come back and he will push the bracket down a bit further to tighten the lines down to see if that fixes the knocking noise. Of course when we took it for a drive the noise didn't pop up ha ha.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
Well the tech said he looked at the cv joint and it wasn't bad. He did say that there was something in the bottom right part of the radiator bracket that held the automatic trans line or something to that affect that, under the right conditions, could possibly cause the knocking noise that I heard when going over a bump. Its just so happens I am turning when I go over a bump and hear it. He said to keep a listen and if it happens again to come back and he will push the bracket down a bit further to tighten the lines down to see if that fixes the knocking noise. Of course when we took it for a drive the noise didn't pop up ha ha.
Well, I guess that is good news. Perhaps it is some innocuous cause that is easily fixed, although if the transmission line is not secure I would want that remedied before fatigue fractures the tubing. I'd stay on it until the problem is identified.

It is not unusual for noises to disappear when taking it in for service. Sometimes weather changes will result in that happening as you might notice it when it is colder and when it is in the shop the temperatures have risen causing the problem to self-resolve. In those cases, it might be prudent to let the dealer have the car overnight to duplicate the conditions you would have when first driving it.

The other thing I would do, if possible, is to drive it over the same section of the road that you have experienced it. Once he hears it he'll know what to do.

Sometimes these noises are difficult to know where they are coming from. And it can be maddening.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts