Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wondering about this.....if I to go MyHyundai.com and click on my recommended maintenance schedule, it only lists the schedule for severe conditions. There is a blurb that says "This schedule is based on your current driving habits".

Is this just a generic attempt to generate increased revenue by shortening the service interval, or is my vehicle actually sending enough information through Bluelink to allow Hyundai to determine what my driving habits are, and whether I need to follow the severe or normal maintenance schedule?

Moderators please do not merge this into one of the oil change interval threads, because this is really a different question. Thank you!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wondering about this.....if I to go MyHyundai.com and click on my recommended maintenance schedule, it only lists the schedule for severe conditions. There is a blurb that says "This schedule is based on your current driving habits".

Is this just a generic attempt to generate increased revenue by shortening the service interval, or is my vehicle actually sending enough information through Bluelink to allow Hyundai to determine what my driving habits are, and whether I need to follow the severe or normal maintenance schedule?

Moderators please do not merge this into one of the oil change interval threads, because this is really a different question. Thank you!
My Florida stealer ship tried this on me. I live in Jacksonville and the summers are hotter in Indiana. It's BS.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Duh......right there staring me in the face on the website is a button that says "My Driving Habits" When you click on it, there are options for you to select to describe your driving habits, and based on your input, it recommends severe or normal maintenance schedule. So, it is a purely manual process, which answers my own question.

I guess it must default to a severe condition schedule unless you go in and change it.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
My Florida stealer ship tried this on me. I live in Jacksonville and the summers are hotter in Indiana. It's BS.
Jacksonville and you don't see at least these two?

F - Driving in heavy traffic area over 90°F (32°C)
K - Frequently driving in stop-and-go conditions

I see both of those down here in much smaller Melbourne. Plus all the beaches count as 'sandy areas'.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My dealer told my because I live in So. Calif. they consider my driving to be severe. But the owners manual clearly defines what Hyundai considers "severe" driving conditions, I don't qualify, I don't commute the freeways, I don't drive stop and go in the middle of summer, I don't drive mountain roads, etc. The bottom line for me is, only the owner / driver knows what they do with their car and a dealer is most likely just trying to increase their bottom line. I probably maintain my car somewhere between the two schedules, doing more frequent oil changes, but only doing the cabin filter on the less severe schedule for example. Cheers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My stealership tried to push that BS over on me. I called Hyundai and the rep told me to ignore the dealership, her response - the manual says 7.5K then go with it unless I feel otherwise.

I like the car but now hate the dealership who started the hard sell on service & maintenance immediately after the sale. Though they made me mad BEFORE I filled out the couple of online surveys and I bet they didn't like the answers! All answers were fair and honest, not stooping to their level of dishonesty.

·
Registered
306 Posts
My stealership tried to push that BS over on me. I called Hyundai and the rep told me to ignore the dealership, her response - the manual says 7.5K then go with it unless I feel otherwise.

I like the car but now hate the dealership who started the hard sell on service & maintenance immediately after the sale. Though they made me mad BEFORE I filled out the couple of online surveys and I bet they didn't like the answers! All answers were fair and honest, not stooping to their level of dishonesty.
Huffman - It's good to hear that you remain honest even after they make you mad...hard to do!
Thanks for the post about the rep saying ignore the dealer.

·
Registered
756 Posts
So SoCal is a severe environment... really? Agree, that is bs.
I stick to two oil changes or 6k miles per year. I will later switch to full synthetic and will do one oil change or 12k miles per year. Nothing against who does it more frequently. Just not worthwhile IMO.
Nobody has spec'd out what severe conditions is, really. Everyone has driven in traffic, extremely hot or cold. The question is, how many miles of those overall?
I believe that even if you put up to half of your miles under those severe conditions you still drive your car under normal use overall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts