Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I mentioned that I got some new shoes for my baby. So I thought I would post some pics. Below is the summer shoes and the winter shoes.

The day the winter pic was taken, it was -15F. Days like that force me to use an automatic car wash to get her clean. I love to see her clean, but I hate the car washes. We have unique love / hate relationships with our cars up here in the northwoods of Wisconsin during the long cold winters. Oh well, nothing I can't buff out come spring.

Attachments

·
22,788 Posts
We have unique love / hate relationships with our cars up here in the northwoods of Wisconsin during the long cold winters.
How right you are! But it's not confined to Wisconsin, LOL.

Ingrid looks pristine, for now, considering. She'd look a heck of a sight sexier if the temps would rise. Not asking for much, I don't think. Maybe some mid-50's? Just a couple of hour's worth so I can get a shampoo sponge on her and an extra bit of TLC? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
740 Posts
A while back I mentioned that I got some new shoes for my baby. So I thought I would post some pics. Below is the summer shoes and the winter shoes.

The day the winter pic was taken, it was -15F. Days like that force me to use an automatic car wash to get her clean. I love to see her clean, but I hate the car washes. We have unique love / hate relationships with our cars up here in the northwoods of Wisconsin during the long cold winters. Oh well, nothing I can't buff out come spring.

That looks nice and rugged. Can you tell me what rim size and tire size you bought? Price as well?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I actually prefer automatic car washes in the winter for one major reason: Washing at home, unless you have a lift and a power washer, will never get the salt and grime off the bottom of the car.

But yeah, in the spring you need to spend a few hours buffing to get rid of all the scratches and swirl marks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks nice and rugged. Can you tell me what rim size and tire size you bought? Price as well?

The tires are Firestone Winterforce 195/65R15 mounted on 15X6.5 steel wheels with TPMS installed as well. They were mounted and balanced and delivered to my doorstep for $725.

This was a standard size tire and wheel on the lower trim levels. They don't make a snow tire in the original 215/45-17 and I didn't want an "all season" tire.

They grip like velcro, totally satisfied with the purchase.

BTW... Someone had mentioned that they just use two snows in the front and that all 4's are not needed. When I first got the tires, I tried it with just snows on the front. They were better than no snows, but when I mounted the rear snows, it handled like it was on rails. I'm sold on using snows on all fours.

RB

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
It's just too bad you have to subject such a nice car to those conditions.

I'm surprised more of you guys don't have winter bomber cars. When I lived, er rather endured being in Albany NY, there was no way I would take my good car out of the garage during the winter. Drivers were bad enough the rest of the year but Winter was a real amateur hour.

I drove a ruggedly handsome bumper car (nicknamed Tank) that I paid very little for, and didn't mind playing pinball with should the event arise. When people with nice cars saw that dent factory coming, they got out of the way. :eek:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts

I'm surprised more of you guys don't have winter bomber cars. When I lived, er rather endured being in Albany NY, there was no way I would take my good car out of the garage during the winter. Drivers were bad enough the rest of the year but Winter was a real amateur hour.

I drove a ruggedly handsome bumper car (nicknamed Tank) that I paid very little for, and didn't mind playing pinball with should the event arise. When people with nice cars saw that dent factory coming, they got out of the way. :eek:
I never really thought about it that way, N5S, but it makes a lot of sense. I'm glad I don't have to do it but when you think about it the odds of something accidental happening in ice and snow probably increases exponentially over mild weather conditions, so driving a cheap beater saves your nice new car. And that's not even considering the salt in the equation for those areas that use it.

·
Registered
654 Posts

Saw a Porsche today while I was buying some booze for New Years eve party. I did a double-take, and I have no issues driving my new cars out in -10c, icy roads like today.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Lookin' good with the naked steelies!
My Elantra has the same 15" steel wheels without the hubcaps - it's a look I call "Seoul Patrol" because it looks like a Korean miniature unmarked car.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Lookin' good with the naked steelies!
My Elantra has the same 15" steel wheels without the hubcaps - it's a look I call "Seoul Patrol" because it looks like a Korean miniature unmarked car.

LOL. That's why I like the rugged look. I'm thinking of doing that with my GT but with All-season tires.

·
22,788 Posts
I'm surprised more of you guys don't have winter bomber cars.

When people with nice cars saw that dent factory coming, they got out of the way. :eek:
You know? That's really a pretty great idea! Get a couple hundred dollar old beater, plow the roads, and watch 'em clear outta the way. And if they don't? Well, better the beater get the abuse than the cool ride that's all snuggled up in a cozy garage! Besides, steel bumpers aren't as easily influenced by those nuisance taps as the faux stuff our E's bumpers are made out of.

What a great idea. Now, off to find an old '65 Dodge Dart, slant 6, with a manual 3 on the tree. I'll probably need to get one of those sexy old man dome covers to complete the look! :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'll probably need to get one of those sexy old man dome covers to complete the look! :grin:
Those are in style now with the hipster crowd Rich...be careful!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Emma feels like she's got lead shoes with those beefy Blizzaks and the heavier steel wheels. You wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference but it really does.

I can't wait for March to roll around so I can swap back over. Only two more months!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Emma feels like she's got lead shoes with those beefy Blizzaks and the heavier steel wheels. You wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference but it really does.

I can't wait for March to roll around so I can swap back over. Only two more months!
Yep winter tire are a drag for handling (although the Xi3s are not too bad). I just had my rear tire shimmed/aligned properly so now my feels like it did without the winters....really looking forward to some new tires to see how this car is supposed to feel.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
You know? That's really a pretty great idea! Get a couple hundred dollar old beater, plow the roads, and watch 'em clear outta the way. And if they don't? Well, better the beater get the abuse than the cool ride that's all snuggled up in a cozy garage! Besides, steel bumpers aren't as easily influenced by those nuisance taps as the faux stuff our E's bumpers are made out of.

What a great idea. Now, off to find an old '65 Dodge Dart, slant 6, with a manual 3 on the tree. I'll probably need to get one of those sexy old man dome covers to complete the look! :grin:
You'll also need a tweed jacket and a large knitted scarf. Perhaps a pipe. :p

·
Registered
231 Posts

I've taken the same plunge as you, ordering tires(Goodyears), rims, tpms sensors from Tire Rack. I should be getting them installed this week. Did you have any trouble fitting your stock wheels in the car for the ride home?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've taken the same plunge as you, ordering tires(Goodyears), rims, tpms sensors from Tire Rack. I should be getting them installed this week. Did you have any trouble fitting your stock wheels in the car for the ride home?

Mine were shipped to my door. I just double checked the tire pressure and torqued them on.

·
Registered
261 Posts

Nope, if I recall I had two in the trunk and two on the back seat sitting on a big blanket.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nope, if I recall I had two in the trunk and two on the back seat sitting on a big blanket.
Thanks. I was hoping I didn't have to strap one to the roof! :) Does anyone know if the car's TPMS system will reset to the new sensors installed with the tires? The installer is thinking they may have to perform some type of reset procedure for a 30 minute diagnostic charge.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts