Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another thread about rust forming around the LR Wheel arch, wherein I mentioned the CEL has been on way too often for such a new car.

Yesterday, the car had left her stranded at work; it would barely turn over, then the battery was dead. She had to call a co-worker who just left to come back and give the car a boost. I noticed the other evening that the car seemed to have a much longer crank-over period than normal, and the starter sounded draggy. But I'm used to my old Toyota, so i assumed it was just my imagination. Apparently, it was not. Also, sitting in road construction traffic for about 20 min with the car off and radio on last week, the car barely started.

I'm calling the stealership on Monday to get this checked out.

And it turns out, her Aunt's 09 Elantra had similar problems. The starter, battery, and fuel pump were all changed through this summer under warranty to try to fix an occasional no-start/no-crank issue. And the problem is still there; it almost left her stranded about an hour from home yesterday, but it *just* started.

Maybe Hyundai isn't so good after all... :unsure: :unsure: We're planning to drive to Florida in April, and take the Accent, but we may end up with my old Toyota on this trip instead. It's a more reliable car, and it has over 175,000 km on it, the accent has less than 80,000 km on it.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Batteries go bad, it's a fact. 3 years/80k km isn't that much though but extreme cold and heat cycles can shorten their lifespan. You're not the first member on here I've seen complain about the battery. The OEM one is on the small side too.

·
Registered
810 Posts
QUOTE (Squashtowner @ Nov 27 2010, 07:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375067
I have another thread about rust forming around the LR Wheel arch, wherein I mentioned the CEL has been on way too often for such a new car.

Yesterday, the car had left her stranded at work; it would barely turn over, then the battery was dead. She had to call a co-worker who just left to come back and give the car a boost. I noticed the other evening that the car seemed to have a much longer crank-over period than normal, and the starter sounded draggy. But I'm used to my old Toyota, so i assumed it was just my imagination. Apparently, it was not. Also, sitting in road construction traffic for about 20 min with the car off and radio on last week, the car barely started.

I'm calling the stealership on Monday to get this checked out.

And it turns out, her Aunt's 09 Elantra had similar problems. The starter, battery, and fuel pump were all changed through this summer under warranty to try to fix an occasional no-start/no-crank issue. And the problem is still there; it almost left her stranded about an hour from home yesterday, but it *just* started.

Maybe Hyundai isn't so good after all... :unsure: :unsure: We're planning to drive to Florida in April, and take the Accent, but we may end up with my old Toyota on this trip instead. It's a more reliable car, and it has over 175,000 km on it, the accent has less than 80,000 km on it.
Sounds like a dying alternator or a mostly dead battery not taking full charges any more (the batteries that come with the car stock are crap, they really are - most people swap them out ASAP) but at that mileage it'd probably start showing signs of being suspect anyway. If you still have your warranty, you may be able to get it replaced under it while you still have some mileage left on it.

Despite what people think, 80k km is the range where the mileage is getting right up there and it won't take you long to reach the 100k plateau - for reference, it's going to be time to do that timing belt pretty soon. Fact of the matter is, it's not a new car any more and not even close so perhaps it's time to stop looking at it like that. Heck, mine has 50k km on the clock and in my mind it lost its internal new car status back at the 25k mark. Things are going to break after that much wear and tear and it's time to start being proactive with the basic, cheap repairs and start saving a little money for the bigger ones. Alternators, batteries, starters, spark plugs... none of these things are meant to last forever. This isn't a Hyundai thing, this is a car thing. You should stop being so hard on the poor car/Hyundai brand and realize that your car's simply not new any more and more things are going to break in the future. It's completely unrealistic for you to expect the car to have zero problems within your 100k warranty clock or more, especially on a car as cheap as ours. Truth is, your Toyota no doubt had several things break on it in its lifetime, but did you sit there and say 'My, my, Toyota's quality sure is going down...'? And if it never did, you should buy a few lottery tickets because that kind of luck is unreal.

·
Super Moderator
3,773 Posts
 My OEM battery died a little over a year and 51,000 km into it and I'm in a less severe climate. If it is your battery that is the problem, lasting 80k is doing better than me.  :grin:  

Several of us have had problems with the original battery -- have it tested and replace if necessary.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My battery experience is much different. I'm three and a half years into mine and with hypermiling I am always turning the engine off and back on again. My poor battery must have 2x the wear on it now. I do keep it on a slow trickle charge whenever I park i at home though.

-- Boris

·
Registered
54 Posts
TB regarding certain model accents. Check it out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And my 175,000+ km 2005 (Built in fall of 2004) Matrix is on its original battery, by the way. :) Less than 3 Years, and only 80,000-ish km is hellish short for a battery life, in my opinion.

·
Registered
265 Posts
QUOTE (Squashtowner @ Nov 27 2010, 04:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375166
And my 175,000+ km 2005 (Built in fall of 2004) Matrix is on its original battery, by the way. :) Less than 3 Years, and only 80,000-ish km is hellish short for a battery life, in my opinion.
I replaced mine ay about 98k If you left your phone on charge with the car off for half an hour the batter was dead.. I went and got an Optima and the battery will far outlast the car...

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (Squashtowner @ Nov 27 2010, 04:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375166
On the other end, Hyundai probably went with the cheapest battery they could get in large volume to lower the cost.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (Squashtowner @ Nov 27 2010, 01:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375165
He's saying that Hyundai is aware of the problem and if your battery tests as going bad, they will replace it for you. Take it to the dealer and see if you get lucky.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Nov 27 2010, 07:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375185
He's saying that Hyundai is aware of the problem and if your battery tests as going bad, they will replace it for you. Take it to the dealer and see if you get lucky.
I see it now -- his original post showed no pics and words with missing letters. I couldn't make sense of it.

I used the exact same Midtronics tester shown in his post. Before the wife started her car today from sitting overnight, it said 120 Amps, charge and retest, and it died completely while trying to start the car. So I recharged and tested it again and it said the battery had 475 amps, was a good battery, and the starter and alternator both checked out fine. It also said there was a surface charge detected.

I wonder if there's a chafed wire or short somewhere in the car....

???

Dropping it off Monday at the stealership, anyhoo.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Squashtowner @ Nov 28 2010, 09:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375262
And my wife bought the 5 yr, 160,000 km bumper to bumper warranty, so this better be covered.

The recall bulletin is for USA consumption... fella is in Canada, so unknown if this Recall will apply to his vehicle, even if it falls into the production range called out.

I do know we cannot run Canada VIN on our WEBDCS, comes up vehicle not found, been posted elsewhere that Canada TSB not same as USA, some of the common repairs we see are not recognized up north..

Battery is a battery.. some die quicker than other. There is no hard rule that battery has to last this long, way too many variables in the life of a battery. When the OE starts pushing 3yr, start being mindfull of of it, starter seem to be a little sluggish crank, sign battery capacity falling off. How long did battery sit on pallet before it got installed to chassis (refer to production date on door label).

Go buy a good Interstate, AC Delco, or other brand name if that is what it comes to..

Start, short drive with all kind of accessories running, sitting extended periods all take a toll.. start, and long drive everyday will help battery stay alive longer,, I drive close to 80 mile a day, 5 day a week, car sit over night, 36 work, sit, 41 home, pulled 9yr on the AC Delco I bought in Jan 1999.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (tarbasd @ Nov 28 2010, 10:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375277
I can't believe people are bitching about a <$100 battery.

"But we have warranty,, we aint supposed to have to pay for expendibles/normal wear items" :banana:

Get that everyday at work..

·
1,565 Posts
QUOTE (tarbasd @ Nov 28 2010, 08:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375277
I can't believe people are bitching about a <$100 battery.

QUOTE (sbr711 @ Nov 28 2010, 09:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375285
"But we have warranty,, we aint supposed to have to pay for expendibles/normal wear items" :banana:

Get that everyday at work..
I know right, You'd think people expect the stuff they pay thousands of dollars for to work for a while. :whistling:

My battery died after only a year and a half, at around 25,000 miles. I replaced it with a much better one, and I recommend everyone replace the crap stock one as soon as they can, but it shouldn't be that way. JMTC

1 - 20 of 29 Posts