Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just let me start off by saying "DANG"!
Getting to the back 3 spark plugs is a pain in the butt!! :angry:
My Sonata has 108,000 miles on the original plugs and was starting to loose some mileage and performance.
When I called the dealer about changing the plugs on my 07 Sonata SE V6 they quoted me $450! I then started calling independent repair shops and the cheapest I could find was $230 for labor if I supplied the spark plugs and plenum gaskets. Each place said that it was so expensive to replace the plugs because you have to remove the intake plenum (surge tank) to get to the back 3 plugs.
I decided to try and save some dough and do it myself. I bought NGK IR iridium laser plugs and the plenum gaskets from Rock Auto for $77. Then I found this forum and looked at all the information I could find on how to change the plugs on a 3.3 V6. I also found this site with a detailed write up from Fluids FLUID's blog: Sonata 2006 v6–Changing Spark Plugs .
I was very cautious and careful when removing all the hoses, brackets, and bolts. I put the removed items in ziplock bags and marked where they went. I was paranoid that I would mess up my car, but it all went well. It took me 4 hrs due to my cautiousness.
I just wanted to say thanks to all those who put such good helpful information on this site about the spark plug change. It is a good feeling when you get to save hundreds of dollars, and your car runs much better. :D

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Congratulations! Another line item for your resume and very admirable to tackle this job.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Great man. Marking the pieces is the way to go. I had to change the plugs on my 2000 Maxima and ended up heading to Sears midway through for a swivel socket lol

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Piece of cake job, just change plenum this morning for broken throttle body bolt.

Plenum is $808 retail, has 2 less insert in it, so I have extra bolts left over.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Just let me start off by saying "DANG"!
Getting to the back 3 spark plugs is a pain in the butt!! :angry:
My Sonata has 108,000 miles on the original plugs and was starting to loose some mileage and performance.
When I called the dealer about changing the plugs on my 07 Sonata SE V6 they quoted me $450! I then started calling independent repair shops and the cheapest I could find was $230 for labor if I supplied the spark plugs and plenum gaskets. Each place said that it was so expensive to replace the plugs because you have to remove the intake plenum (surge tank) to get to the back 3 plugs.
I decided to try and save some dough and do it myself. I bought NGK IR iridium laser plugs and the plenum gaskets from Rock Auto for $77. Then I found this forum and looked at all the information I could find on how to change the plugs on a 3.3 V6. I also found this site with a detailed write up from Fluids FLUID's blog: Sonata 2006 v6–Changing Spark Plugs .
I was very cautious and careful when removing all the hoses, brackets, and bolts. I put the removed items in ziplock bags and marked where they went. I was paranoid that I would mess up my car, but it all went well. It took me 4 hrs due to my cautiousness.
I just wanted to say thanks to all those who put such good helpful information on this site about the spark plug change. It is a good feeling when you get to save hundreds of dollars, and your car runs much better. :D
I only have one small comment on your write-up. If you buy modern spark plugs these days, you shouldn't use anti-seize any more. There is a compound they use in the threads that is made for later removal. If you go to NGK's web-site they warn against using anti-seize siting several issues. One is, over time, the anti-seize breaks down the electrical ground you are picking up through the treads and the other reason escapes me at this time. If you go over to one of the BMW forums you can see several debates on this. Good write up though, nice to see you helping your fellow Hyundai DIYers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks himilcyclr! I am just glad it is over and it all went well!! I was worried at first that I was biting off more than I could chew! But once I got into it, it all fell into place! :thumbsup:
06Sonny - The exact same thing about the swivel socket has happend to me before too! The frustrating thing is that I had a swivel socket already but couldn't find it, now I have 2! :grin:
Johnaauld- Man, I never heard of the anti-seive compound should not be used on NGK plugs!! I guess I should of checked their website before installing the plugs! I thought I was doing a good thing by putting it on!! :mad: Thanks for the heads up about it!
Sbr711 - I knew the plenum would be expensive, but wow! That is pricey!! Now that I have done it once, I would feel more comfortable if I had to replace the plenum. But, I sure hope I never have to go there!! :D

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Nice pics on that write up.Wished I had that handy when I was doing my valve cover gasket/spark plugs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeh! That Fluids guy did a great write up with detailed pictures and notes! Very handy to say the least! I went to his website and tried to respond and thank him, but it didn't stick.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
In that write up.. took way too much apart... too many loose single pieces.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In that write up.. took way too much apart... too many loose single pieces.
Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread but I found the discussion to be quite helpful. sbr711, Would you mind on elaborating on what doesn't need to be removed in the FLUIDs blog post? I plan on tackling this job closer to the summer and do not want to remove anything more than whats necessary. Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am getting ready to do this on my 2009 Sonata V6. I actually have a copy of the Haynes Service Manual and I noticed that the instructions to remove the upper intake manifold in the service manual have you relieving the fuel system pressure by accessing the fuel pump electrical relay (underneath the rear seat) and disconnecting it. Is this really necessary for this job?

Also if someone could provide a part number for the gasket replacement that would be helpful as looking on Rockauto I see there are a few different style gaskets. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Well, I am nearing 200K so I needed to do the tune up. Did it once at 100K.....but jeez so many quirks went wrong during the swap yesterday. Took me 4 hrs lol like a true knoob.

1 one of those four I used trying to figure out how to remove that dang clip on the spark plug boot. The video of that guy on youtube with the burgundy 07 shows it best. The thread from fluid blog is also good, but when re-reading it and looking back at how I did it, Sbr may be correct in stating there are a couple of things that does not need to removed.
Next time this will take be 1 1/2 hours tops.

New plugs installed fine; cleaned throttle body, intake; swapped pcv just fine, and the car is running great. However, sooooo frustrating on a couple of other, unrelated, issues.

Which brings me to why I am posting: upon re-attaching the throttle body, there is that 4th bolt to the bottom left - it is much shorter than the other three long studs and uses 12mm instead of 10mm socket like the other three.

Could someone give me the part number for that? I dropped it while trying to secure the TB and I literally cannot find it. Thought it would drop to the floor but it looks like it's stuck sitting on top of some type of plate. Tried to look but I can't find it. It is pictured in solid blue in pic below.

To add to the frustration my hood strut miraculously broke during the plug swap. Luckily I caught it right when I heard air was leaking out of it fast. I guess after 10 years of use, it gave out finally. Now, it is completely useless and I Had to use a baseball bat to hold hood up for the time being.

And lastly, when tightening the surge tank when I was done with the plug swaps, I cut one of the bolts so the stud is in the thread but the head is now missing. I think I can use the "grab it" tool I used on the famous rotor screw removal, but I would need a smaller bit for it. Luckily (I think), upon inspecting which bolt it is, it is not one that holds the surge tank down but it is merely to hold that metal rail...the rail has the thread to secure the engine bay cover. Either way I plan to take it out, I hope I didn't f*$k anything up. The bolt is the one in solid blue in the pic below.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Back firing in Hyundai ix 35 petrol

Dear sirs
May be you can help, I have an ix 35 petrol AWD, I'm in Angola. The car has no power at low revolutions as well back-fire at low revolutions. Over 100km/h is good. Petrol usage is: 15 liter per 100 km.
The has 75000 km.
I went to workshops, just to spend money.
Who c an give me an idea, what to do?

Regards
Domingos Velho

1 - 13 of 13 Posts