Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well that's the way I see it. A week ago we took our 2011 SE for it's first road trip(3.5 hours each way). On the way home it was raining. I was coming up to a highway on ramp. There was a 18 wheeler in the right lane. I'm going about 70(in a 65) and slowing down, something just didn't seem right approaching the on ramp. Well some idiot in a ford ranger didn't bother to look before merging onto the highway. The 18 wheeler started to swerve then slammed on the brakes and jack knifed into my lane. In an instant I am heading toward the side of his cab at 60mph. I applied the brakes, not fully, and quickly went left into the dirt and gravel median around the truck. I could see the yellow paint of the cab in the corner of my eye very close the the right side of the car. Went around and there was the ranger with a larger dent in the right rear. Without the good handling of the sonata, i don't think i would have got around the truck. We also have a 2008 santa fe, I'm pretty sure trying that fast of a change at that speed would have not been good. The sonata just went around straight, no sliding in the mud and right back on the road, i was very happy. It happened so fast that my wife didn't even have time to scream or say anything until later. Our 19 month old son was also in the car, my main reason for keeping it in one piece. I know the sonata has many air bags, but I'm gald i didn't see them.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Wow. . . glad to hear you and your family are fine and that the Sonata handled the situation well. Ironically as I was pulling down the street to my house I see two women standing outside a new Sonata talking about the car, so I slow down and say nice car. And so we talked for a minute and they were commenting how great of a car it is and how safe it was for kids (my 3 year old daughter was in the back). Well I guess you experienced that first hand :thumbsup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
QUOTE (sjl1614 @ Apr 30 2010, 09:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318377
Well that's the way I see it. A week ago we took our 2011 SE for it's first road trip(3.5 hours each way). On the way home it was raining. I was coming up to a highway on ramp. There was a 18 wheeler in the right lane. I'm going about 70(in a 65) and slowing down, something just didn't seem right approaching the on ramp. Well some idiot in a ford ranger didn't bother to look before merging onto the highway. The 18 wheeler started to swerve then slammed on the brakes and jack knifed into my lane. In an instant I am heading toward the side of his cab at 60mph. I applied the brakes, not fully, and quickly went left into the dirt and gravel median around the truck. I could see the yellow paint of the cab in the corner of my eye very close the the right side of the car. Went around and there was the ranger with a larger dent in the right rear. Without the good handling of the sonata, i don't think i would have got around the truck. We also have a 2008 santa fe, I'm pretty sure trying that fast of a change at that speed would have not been good. The sonata just went around straight, no sliding in the mud and right back on the road, i was very happy. It happened so fast that my wife didn't even have time to scream or say anything until later. Our 19 month old son was also in the car, my main reason for keeping it in one piece. I know the sonata has many air bags, but I'm gald i didn't see them.
Thank goodness you and your family are safe :innocent: and this a testament to the awesome quality of the Sonata's safety systems. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
267 Posts
QUOTE (sjl1614 @ Apr 30 2010, 09:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318377
........ On the way home it was raining......... I'm going about 70(in a 65).......... Our 19 month old son was also in the car.........
Ya better slow it down 'cause ya might not be so lucky the next time. Don't depend on the car to save your (and your family's) butt. But, I'm glad to hear it turned out ok - this time. :thumbsup:

Don

·
Registered
66 Posts
The ESC in the Sonata saved your butt. Hyundai was the first automaker in the industry to offer STANDARD ESC on almost all their cars. It really does save lives.

I'm glad you made it out in one piece. Thank god.

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE (ConceptVBS @ May 3 2010, 01:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319143
The ESC in the Sonata saved your butt. Hyundai was the first automaker in the industry to offer STANDARD ESC on almost all their cars. It really does save lives.

I'm glad you made it out in one piece. Thank god.
When did they start this? BMW has been offeriing it standard for quite a number of years.

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE (firestormik @ May 3 2010, 03:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319168
Sonata 2006 had it standard on all trims - first in the industry
Sounds like Marketing to me. I know for a fact every BMW made in 2005 had ESC (BMW Calls it DSC). I believe BMW has been doing some form of this since the mid 90s, they were pioneers along with Mercedes in this regard. I think BMW had it across all models even before 2005.

Check www.safercar.gov Go to Safe Driving Info > Bottom Right click Vehicles w/ ESC. I just double checked this to verify that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts