Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021, 2018, 2015 Sonata Limited
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

What are you plans and or already made upgrades to your Sonata? I just got my 2018 Phantom Black Sonata Limited w/ the Ultimate Package and here are my plans:

Tinted windows
Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Michelin Tires
Interior light upgrade/change
Sure there will be more, just don't know what yet.

BTW: Why in the **** didn't Hyundai but a light in the glove box???

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts
All,

What are you plans and or already made upgrades to your Sonata? I just got my 2018 Phantom Black Sonata Limited w/ the Ultimate Package and here are my plans:

Tinted windows
Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Michelin Tires
Interior light upgrade/change
Sure there will be more, just don't know what yet.

BTW: Why in the **** didn't Hyundai but a light in the glove box???
I did the following:
1.tinted windows immediately 35% driver and passenger sides and 20% rear.
2. Steering wheel cover (IMO wheel was a little to smooth and upper diameter small until you get to the thumb rests on the "D" sport wheel
3. Blacked out the front H emblem and license plate frames using Dupli Color Black Chrome paint.
4. Purchased EBC Red Stuff brake pads, but have not replaced yet because the car stops great and the pads wont wear out Im at 44,000 miles and still have a lot left.
5. Beamtech LED headlamps
6. I will be up sizing tires to 245/45/18 when they are ready for replacement in another 15,000 miles or so. I like the Sport 2.0T 18"wheels on my car so I wont be changing them but.
7. I will lowering it about 1" using coilovers or possibly Eibach or ARK Springs only, was going to use Megan Springs but changed mind and sold them to a forum member.

Probably nothing else, performance is ok for a mid/full size sedan as is handling and overall enjoyment driving it. It will never be a rocket and I dont see any reason to throw $ into a tune, intake etc for a car like this.
I hope that in about 2 yr Ill get a G70 with the twin turbo either a low mileage lease turn in or work a great deal on a purchase.

The 2017 have a glove box light ;)

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, tinted windows are done, here are some before and after photos. Car is not as clean as it should be but I had to post.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi I got a 2018 SE in symphony silver. I already got:

- 30% tint all around.
- beamtech LED headlights
- Sylvania LED upgrade on the back taillights and license plate.
- got WeatherTech floor liners
- steering wheel cover.

What I have in plans is the following
- rear spoiler from sportwing.
- DIY pleather wrap steering wheel.
- 2018 sonata sport honeycomb grill.
- 2018 sonata hybrid lower front spoiler.

Maybes:
- black out the chrome trim( don't know how it would look black on silver)
- Hyundai 18inch rims ( dunno if I want to change them because they may void the 10y warranty)

Couple of photos of the current state.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts
Hi I got a 2018 SE in symphony silver. I already got:

- 30% tint all around.
- beamtech LED headlights
- Sylvania LED upgrade on the back taillights and license plate.
- got WeatherTech floor liners
- steering wheel cover.

What I have in plans is the following
- rear spoiler from sportwing.
- DIY pleather wrap steering wheel.
- 2018 sonata sport honeycomb grill.
- 2018 sonata hybrid lower front spoiler.

Maybes:
- black out the chrome trim( don't know how it would look black on silver)
- Hyundai 18inch rims ( dunno if I want to change them because they may void the 10y warranty)

Couple of photos of the current state.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Changing the wheels will not void the warranty especially if you use Hyundai Wheels in a size offered for the model. So going to the 18" are not a problem and they are available if you look on ebay and craigs list or this forum as take offs when others buy aftermarket wheel. Also changing to any brand of wheel as long as it meets the correct size and offset is OK.

painting the chrome with DupliColor Black Chrome Kit (I used it on my H emblems and license plate frames, but a lot of work to do the whole car) might look good on the silver or you can vinyl wrap it there are a few members here that have done that and the nice part is if you dont like it it peels off.

I dulled my chrome to make it look more like stainless steel so it doesnt shine and stand out against the silver. Doesnt cost anything but a few $ and an hour or so of time. Look it up on YouTube "turn chrome to look like stainless or nickel" Its been 18 months now and looks good, no problems . On my 2017 it took an hour or so to do and a couple Scotch pads.
Here is a thread I posted https://www.hyundai-forums.com/sona...-chrome-look-more-like-brushed-stainless.html

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unreal, my luck that is. At 5850 miles I end up with a nail in my right rear tire. Although I thought this would be a great excuse to upgrade my tires (probably Michelin's), I just could not justify spending $$$ right now. Wife and son wanted their windows tinted on their 2015 Sonata's so I got those done. Then a week later the nail in the tire showed up. I ended up plugging the tire; nothing like a new tire with a plug in it already. Oh well, what can you do, 11 psi was the big indicator early Thursday morning.

Also got a few paint chips to repair. I drive from Woodbridge, VA to DC each day, **** rocks and road work has me dodging debris left and right. I'm either slowing down to create a lot of space or speeding up to get in front of anything throwing rocks and other particles my way. Well, it can't stay pristine forever, but I got to prolong it as long as possible.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts
Unreal, my luck that is. At 5850 miles I end up with a nail in my right rear tire. Although I thought this would be a great excuse to upgrade my tires (probably Michelin's), I just could not justify spending $$$ right now. Wife and son wanted their windows tinted on their 2015 Sonata's so I got those done. Then a week later the nail in the tire showed up. I ended up plugging the tire; nothing like a new tire with a plug in it already. Oh well, what can you do, 11 psi was the big indicator early Thursday morning.

Also got a few paint chips to repair. I drive from Woodbridge, VA to DC each day, **** rocks and road work has me dodging debris left and right. I'm either slowing down to create a lot of space or speeding up to get in front of anything throwing rocks and other particles my way. Well, it can't stay pristine forever, but I got to prolong it as long as possible.

If you have not used or heard of it look into Dr Colorchip paint repair. Best chip repair method that Ive used, been using there product for 10 years on my cars. The repairs dont leave indentations and paint matches perfectly

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, thanks. I ordered a kit and will be using it very soon.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See my other post on the left rear tire getting a slash in it from road debris.

Talk about bad luck with tires on a new car.

I guess the universe really wants me to get 4 new tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
At first, I didn't believe the comment about the glove box not having the light. But I found out it really does NOT have the light, even though there is a cutout for it. I went from 2016 Eco to 2018 Sonata SEL+, and cannot believe how many "nice-to-have" things have been eliminated. Although Hyundai added a ton of major features, it just makes me feel nickle-and-dime'd.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Already Done:

• Windows were tinted to 30% within the first 2 weeks
  • Swapped all non-LED bulbs to LED
  • Husky all-weather liners
  • Adhesive velcro added to areas where plastic on plastic contact could occur and scratch (seatbelt buckle against center console, for example)
  • Adjusted HID bulbs to stop getting flashed by NJ drivers at night

Soon:

• Hit 40,000 miles (at 39,100 now)
  • Trade her in for a Genesis (G70 or G80)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts