Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[UPDATED TO ADD PICTURES]

Long story short, I scrapped my right rear side against a parking garage pillar and significantly dented the right rear door panel and right rear trunk panel (the one that runs above the right rear tire). They're dented enough that a simply buff and polish probably won't work - they aren't simply scratches, there is panel crumpling. Here are my options that I know of:

1. File insurance claim, pay $500 deductible, get a nasty bump in my insurance premiums.
2. Take it to a body shop and have them try to hammer, polish, and repaint the panels, though I'm not sure this is even technically possible given the damage severity.
3. Take it to a body shop to have them order replacement panels and install them.
4. Somehow order replacement panels on my own and install them myself.

I don't mind performing the labor, however I am far from a car mechanic hobbyist. I have dissassembled interior components successfully to install car audio equipment before but I've never worked with body panels. I also do not have a service manual for the car.

Question: Can you order panels in some way that will not include retail markup?
Question: How difficult is it to replace panels?

In addition to the damage I mentioned above, I also must have a scrapped a parking spot barrier / bumper, as my front right bumper shows scrape marks near the wheel well and it looks like at least one clip from the bumper has broken and the bumper is hanging loose on the right side. The scrape mark is hidden, so I don't care about that, but can I replace / fix the broken clip(s) or do something else to resecure the bumper (and avoid replacing that as well)?

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Unless you have other issues with your insurance, the premiums don't go up if you make one claim.

·
Registered
816 Posts
QUOTE (SeattleGuy @ Jun 22 2010, 03:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335283
Long story short, I scrapped my right rear side against a parking garage pillar and significantly dented the right rear door panel and right rear trunk panel (the one that runs above the right rear tire). They're dented enough that a simply buff and polish probably won't work - they aren't simply scratches, there is panel crumpling. Here are my options that I know of:
1. File insurance claim, pay $500 deductible, get a nasty bump in my insurance premiums.
2. Take it to a body shop and have them try to hammer, polish, and repaint the panels, though I'm not sure this is even technically possible given the damage severity.
3. Take it to a body shop to have them order replacement panels and install them.
4. Somehow order replacement panels on my own and install them myself.
I don't mind performing the labor, however I am far from a car mechanic hobbyist. I have dissassembled interior components successfully to install car audio equipment before but I've never worked with body panels. I also do not have a service manual for the car.
Question: Can you order panels in some way that will not include retail markup?
Question: How difficult is it to replace panels?
In addition to the damage I mentioned above, I also must have a scrapped a parking spot barrier / bumper, as my front right bumper shows scrape marks near the wheel well and it looks like at least one clip from the bumper has broken and the bumper is hanging loose on the right side. The scrape mark is hidden, so I don't care about that, but can I replace / fix the broken clip(s) or do something else to resecure the bumper (and avoid replacing that as well)?
You're going to have to pay for the panel's paint job anyway so I'd be inclined to let the professionals do the job and also replace the clip on the bumper.

I'd compare this cost vs the premium increase and then decide.

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE (Bingo Steve @ Jun 22 2010, 02:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335284
Unless you have other issues with your insurance, the premiums don't go up if you make one claim.

I disagree with this statement. It's been 15 years (or more) since last time I got a ticket or have/claimed an accident.
2 months ago I came back from grocery shopping at Walmart and some @$$%^& rammed the rear bumper of my new F150

I called my insurance company (G***O) and although it's true that I received the best and fastest service ever (Next day I met the adjuster, left the truck and a new bumper was installed same day) my premium went up $10. I called and requested an explanation... Still paying $10 more a month. :mad:

I would avoid going to the insurance. If you have the $$$ take it to a body shop.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (LowBoost @ Jun 22 2010, 03:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335289
I would avoid going to the insurance. If you have the $$$ take it to a body shop.
+1...if you have the cash, pay for it out of pocket....chaulk it up to a learning experience (albeit a costly one)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Been with State Farm for 32 of the last 34 years and that has not ever happened to me. I do not have the cleanest driving record and I have had comprehensive claims not collision so not sure if there is a difference there. Have not had a chargeable accident or incident in more than 29 years. Knock Wood.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Finally a topic where my expertise can be of use!

jfyi I own a body shop with my father in FL.

First things first can you post pictures? Next i'll be able to assess the damage if you have taken good pics from several angels.

Most cars do not let you replace panels but simple bolt on, Sonata is one of those cars. If your quarter panel is dented beyond repair it will cost you at least 1500 to get that replaced. The old one would need to be cut and and the new one would need to be welded in. It's almost guaranteed that the damage is more than $500, on average an insurance estimate we do usually runs between $1000 to $5000.

In my professional opinion I would make a claim because if you take it to body shop who did an initial estimate, and they find something extra that needs to be repaired under the metal panels you will be looking at spending a crap load of money. Another thing is if you don't make a claim body shops will try to cut corners to save you money, leading to a not so top quality job.

We have several people come in and try to not make a claim, it simply doesn't make sense unless the damage is less than $500, which in most cases it is not).

If you're unable to take pics take your car to several body shops and get some estimates, then make the claim as soon as you see it's around $500 or more. Then take it to the shop that made the highest estimate. The insurance company will give you 5 million reasons why you should take it to one of their shops but DO NOT do that unless you know for sure it is a reputable shop.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Call and ask! The insurance company can run a scenario to see what your rate might be after the claim. Are you sure you hit the pillar or did someone do a hit and run? LOL FRAUD is not the correct answer.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've investigated paying out-of-pocket for a thing or two and I've been shocked at how much even the simplest-looking repair costs. I've ended up just caving and going through the insurance.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I disagree with this statement. It's been 15 years (or more) since last time I got a ticket or have/claimed an accident.
2 months ago I came back from grocery shopping at Walmart and some @$$%^& rammed the rear bumper of my new F150

I called my insurance company (G***O) and although it's true that I received the best and fastest service ever (Next day I met the adjuster, left the truck and a new bumper was installed same day) my premium went up $10. I called and requested an explanation... Still paying $10 more a month. :mad:

$10 is nothing compared to how much it would of cost if you were to pay for a big hit out of pocket without a claim.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (eyecue @ Jun 22 2010, 12:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335293
Finally a topic where my expertise can be of use!

jfyi I own a body shop with my father in FL.

First things first can you post pictures? Next i'll be able to assess the damage if you have taken good pics from several angels.

Most cars do not let you replace panels but simple bolt on, Sonata is one of those cars. If your quarter panel is dented beyond repair it will cost you at least 1500 to get that replaced. The old one would need to be cut and and the new one would need to be welded in. It's almost guaranteed that the damage is more than $500, on average an insurance estimate we do usually runs between $1000 to $5000.

In my professional opinion I would make a claim because if you take it to body shop who did an initial estimate, and they find something extra that needs to be repaired under the metal panels you will be looking at spending a crap load of money. Another thing is if you don't make a claim body shops will try to cut corners to save you money, leading to a not so top quality job.

We have several people come in and try to not make a claim, it simply doesn't make sense unless the damage is less than $500, which in most cases it is not).

If you're unable to take pics take your car to several body shops and get some estimates, then make the claim as soon as you see it's around $500 or more. Then take it to the shop that made the highest estimate. The insurance company will give you 5 million reasons why you should take it to one of their shops but DO NOT do that unless you know for sure it is a reputable shop.

Hope that helps.
Wow - thanks for the excellent advice. I will take some photos and post for you to check out - might save me a trip to a repair shop. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My agent said as a rule of thumb don't report an accident unless it is at least 3 times the deductable. Sounds like you exceeded that one. :w00t: I would report it. Unless you have a history of accidents or tickets it shouldn't impact your rate much.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If ya want it done right and to keep it looking like a new car, have it repaired by a professional body shop. A halfa-- repair will significantly reduce the resale value and, if you're like most of us, you'll kick yourself every time you look at it. To me, it's not worth it just to try and save a few bucks and it will probably cost ya more dollars in the long run.

Don

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (jdubs @ Jun 22 2010, 05:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335324
My agent said as a rule of thumb don't report an accident unless it is at least 3 times the deductable. Sounds like you exceeded that one. :w00t: I would report it. Unless you have a history of accidents or tickets it shouldn't impact your rate much.
I've never heard of this. You gotta remember one thing your agents job is to keep claims down. Less claims = more money in his/her pocket. I would go by the rule if The repair cost more than your detuctible make the claim. the only time you should not make a claim is when you know 100% how much the repair will cost and it is less than your detuctible.

I just don't understand why people have insurance then are reluctant to using it. Unless you cause pile ups every year your premium won't raise as much as you will end up paying out of pocket for repairs.

·
Registered
486 Posts
For fun I would run this by a good professional dent-less repair guy. I have seen worst that turned out very acceptable. Not perfect but dam close. Could turn out to be a real savings also? If you don't ask you'll never know.

·
Registered
533 Posts
QUOTE (snapper41 @ Jun 23 2010, 01:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335448
For fun I would run this by a good professional dent-less repair guy. I have seen worst that turned out very acceptable. Not perfect but dam close. Could turn out to be a real savings also? If you don't ask you'll never know.
Do you mean paintless dent removal? That is not for anything where the clearcoat has been compromised and this accident sounds more than superficial.

·
Registered
35 Posts

I have been with geico for maybe 6 years know and i have done 2 claims so far with them both repair maybe added up to almost 1K and my insurance premium didnt go up in any of the 2 times i made a claim. Just called they told me if the claim goes over $1800 then you might see your premium go up.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Without even writing a detailed estimate I can tell you that will cost at least $1000 to repair. It needs body work and paint work on two panels.

Paintless dent repair doesn't work when you need paint work/body work. It is more than just a dent. PDR is only for a small dings and dents, not when your metal is all scratched up and bent totally out of shape. You can see the paint chipped off so yeah i'd def make a claim. Pay $500 and call it a day.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Before anything else, hope you either take driving lessons or NEVER get distracted again (whatever the case might be). You were lucky it was just a pillar this time.

As far as insurance, I had a $200 claim ($700 - $500 deductible) when my Lexus convertible was hit while parked. Was assured premium wouldn't go up, hence the claim. It went up $400 every 6 months with Progressive. Recently had my first accident due to black ice on my M3 (caught in a freak storm with summer tires), and had a 10K+ claim (all cosmetic damage, half of it wheels). My rate went up $120 every 6 months with GEICO, and it was my first term with them; I was expecting much worse. Quite different outcomes. Due to my first experience, and the fact you'd probably never get something in writing from an insurance company that your rates won't go up, I probably won't make another claim if damage is less than twice my deductible (currently $1K), but that's just me. And that's with perfect driving record and perfect credit. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts