Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought people might be interested in how I installed my 8" subs, I wanted them to not take up any cargo space and be completely hidden. Pictures are a little blurry...

I basically made a sealed chamber up inside the area between the inner and outer quarter panels with Dynamat. Probably wasn't the ideal way to do it but it sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
this really isn't good at all if it is as it looks...

are the subs just directly on the dynamat? no solid mount? the magnet is not there to stick the sub to metal. also, with just dynamat for walls, the "enclosure" is going to flex something terrible.

not a bad idea for a spot to put a couple small subs though. where are you hiding the amp at?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The subs are securely mounted to the sheet metal of the inner quarter panel by sheet metal screws (and lock washers just in case), they aren't just stuck on the dynamat or held in place by the magnet. I've built enough systems to know better. I should have taken a picture of them mounted before I applied the dynamat.

As for the dynamat flexing it does, although not as much as you'd think. I will eventually fiberglass the whole mess, but I wanted to make sure things worked in that location before I went to that trouble.

The amp lives inside the the wheel in my spare tire under the cargo mat. This amp doesn't get very hot so this location shouldn't be an issue. I'll have to take a picture of it, fits well.

I used to have 2 10's but I hated loosing all of my cargo space.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Interesting, i'd like to see some more pics if possible.

I'm in the process of saving up for a system in my 'factory radio delete' GS.
Was planning on doing two 8" subs in a downfire box in the rear floorboard w/ amp below the seat.
I keep my rear seats folded down at all times so my dog can ride in the back so a box back there is not an option.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a picture of where the amp lives:

With everything put back together you can't tell my car even has subs. Nice and stealth. And I've managed to kill almost all of the rattles.

It would be possible to use shallow mount 10's in the same spots, but I don't think they would have enough air space. That and shallow mount 10's are expensive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
was there at least 6 inches of mounting depth there? I got to thinking about it more yesterday, and that really is the perfect spot for 8's. It wouldn't even be that bad of a space to glass. I think I could squeeze a smaller amp under the passenger seat, though th ascendant audio assassins I'd want to throw in there love their 250w rms, or more.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Down were I mounted them I had about 5 inches of depth to work with. If you went up a little higher you would have 6 or 7 (pretty sure, didn't measure...I should have).

The gaps that needed to be bridged with the dynamat weren't very big. A couple of layers and almost all flex was gone. It sounds good enough I might not even bother glassing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts