Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a thread where someone talked about where to put their portable GPS unit and I found the perfect spot. I didn't get the nav package because the options with Nav did not have the sunroof or leather so I had to make a choice. I also have a portable Garmin GPS with voice control that I bought a few months ago that was expensive so I don't 'really' need another navigator. I found a great place to set it up using the suction cup mount and some double sided sticky tape. It fits almost perfectly in the spot under the center console storage area with door. The door opens fine and I have my ipod inside it. I have the GPS plugged into one port, my ipod into the USB port and just bought a cool 3 plug and 1 usb power adapter at wal-mart that I stashed in the weird passenger side console pocket to give me some extra power for passenger phones and game devices, it even has the matching blue glow to it. It seems to be working really nicely. I still want to get a new headunit for playing my ipod, bluetooth voice control and backup camera features but I'm not sure what to get yet since there are so many choices it gets overwhelming and I am not that technical when it comes to car stereos.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
It might be my Garmin 1350 that's not very good but I tried it there and my signal would go wonky. And isn't it way out of your way to look at while driving?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might be my Garmin 1350 that's not very good but I tried it there and my signal would go wonky. And isn't it way out of your way to look at while driving?
I can see it fine but I don't stare at it and rely mostly on the voice commands. I have to move the shifter out of the way if I want to type an address in comfortable but it does work plus I can tell it the address. This is slightly hidden and I didn't like having to put it away when I had it attached to my A/C vents or the windshield on my last car. The good thing about the power ports not being always on is this automatically shuts down when there is no external power. I think it looks pretty good, almost like its supposed to be there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yes I do the same, it keep the GPS out of the way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the GPS have Bluetooth? Could you possibly run the voice through the speakers that way?

it does have bluetooth for connecting to my phone so I can "find" my car. I never thought to hook it up to the car so I will have to play around with it. I can hear it fine through the external speakers and actually turned it down as it always seemed to want to tell me what to do when I was on the phone trying to talk to someone.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I tried your method too. Kinda just stuck my iPhone 5 with it's Otterbox case there and I used no holder whatsover but it stayed pretty well since the Otterbox case is very grippy. The only problem with this setup is the shifter partially blocked the view of the GPS on the iPhone screen so I opted for this which I ordered today. Same setup worked great with my old Garmin GPS which came with the Bean Bag Mount.

i.Trek Beanbag Friction Dash Mount with Universal bracket/cradle for iPhone 5 4S 4 3GS Samsung Galaxy S3 S4 Epic Touch 4G HTC ONE EVO LTE Rhyme DROID RAZR DNA INCREDIBLE 4G CHARGE Google Nexus 4 BlackBerry Z10 LG Lucid Optimus Pro Nokia Lumia 920 Garmin TomTom Magellan GPS up to 5" screen (Grip opens vertically to 4")
by i.Trek
Link: http://amzn.com/B0093Q6AI8 http://amzn.com/B0093Q6AI8

·
Registered
612 Posts
No not really. I use the voice command and bluetooth the turn by turn out of my car speakers. Some people think its apart of the dash.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The shifter just gets in the way a little when its in park but not enough that I can't enter an address, I just have to go slower. When its in drive there are no issues. I wanted something that looked 'factory' or away from view when I park the car and this is nicely tucked away. If I wanted I could just pop it in the storage compartment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts