Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been an avid photographer since I was a pre-teen and was lucky enough to get my hands on a Canon AE-1. Film was expensive and slow to get back. I was happy to go digital and never look back.

Purple thistle at Blackpoint Wildlife Drive. If you're ever near Cape Canaveral it's right around the corner and worth the visit.
Shot with my Fuji X-E2 and 18-55mm lens.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice sharp resolution. Looks like your starting a new thread.
Yeah, I enjoy sharing my work with others. The only editing I'll do is minor tweaks to the color, sharpness and minor level adjustments.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My '91 was a rattletrap of missing parts and cobbled together repairs. At the time I took this picture I had been watching this huge storm on the weather channel at a friend's house. It was about a 15-20 minute drive home most normal days. That day was going to be far from normal. . . My friend offered me a place to crash but I declined. My poor v6 Ford Probe had issues. The driver's door window would not close. The passenger side door window was jammed mostly shut (every few months the mechanic had to adjust the bolt holding it in place). It started to rain before I got in the car. My nearly slick tires had no traction whatsoever. It took me the better part of an hour to get home. Trucks sent sheets of water through my window. There was 1/2 and inch of water in all the footwells. The INSIDE of the hatchback window was dripping wet. I was a soggy mess. It was both horrible and glorious. This picture, shot with a Kodak Z990 was taken 5 minutes from my friend's house.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'll try to keep these one picture per. . . message. This is part of a whole sequence I came upon just after it started. A juvenile gator, 4-6 feet long had killed or stolen the kill of an adult Grebe (that's a cool name for a bird, I used to call a friend Grebe years ago). Anyway. . . this poor gator had a leg from the Grebe hooked on either side of his mouth and he was NOT letting go to save his life. He beat that poor bird mercilessly. There were bits everywhere. I watched him/her try for half an hour. Rolling, smashing, pounding. He/she got nowhere I did a slow loop around the complex (Viera/Ritch Grissom Memorial Wetlands) and got back to this spot 45 minutes later and no gator or grebe. Dunno if the gator gave up. I'm sure the bird didn't escape. Maybe something bigger came by and stole it. Your guess is as good as mine.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A very sad bridge of tragedies. Several people, most recently several girls tried and failed to outrun a train.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I was out in the boondocks trying to get some meteor pictures doing 30 and 60 second exposures. It was February, in the high 30s or low 40s (fahrenheit, and chilly for Florida) but I still got eaten alive by mosquitos. I left and was heading for the gym which opened at 5am. I was taking a backroad when. . . train crossing the road. Ugh! I figure heck, I'm here, first car in line, I might as well get a shot or two of the train going by. I grab the camera, point, shoot, I hear the shutter open but not close. I think, "Dang, something's gone wrong and it's frozen." I yank the camera in the window only to see the timer on the screen counting down somewhere in the 20s. I had, in my haste to escape the bugs, forgotten to reset the camera to normal. Shove it back out the window and try to hold it steady. This is the accidentally cool shot I got for leaving the camera on long exposure. . .

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I'm sitting at the beach and watching the fairly spectacular sunrise when I see what looks like a horned skull rearing up out of the top of the clouds. I looked over at the grandma sitting on the next bench over and said "Hey, you seeing this or what?" She looked up, crossed herself and scooted out of there faster than I imagined she could move.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure what kind of tree this is but it's 20-35 feet tall and around the corner at a small baseball park near here. Gorgeous flowers though.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bought flowers for my mom years ago. Always took pictures of them when I got them. This came out looking almost like an oil painting.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was checking out a Fujifilm FinePix S1 camera to review. Wasn't super impressed but I did get a few stunners this being the best of the bunch. white, especially in sunlight usually blows out something horrible.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've never been able to take good sun shots like that. The camera darkens it down. Whats the magic in the settings?
I try to avoid shooting when there's direct sunlight, the photo above was a last moment picture right after that the sun cleared the clouds and everything was blown out. I'm not sure why you're getting unacceptable images. I often, when there's a lot of light even dial back my exposure compensation a notch. My post production is done in an ancient copy of Photoshop (CS2) I do very, very mild color tweaks, a little Levels manipulation and infrequently some mile Smart Sharpening, Mostly it's what you see is what was there in front of the camera.

Accidents can be fun too! I ran the A/C that Black Friday morning because it was so muggy out with no breeze. I got to my first stop grabbed the camera and headed for the water. Two egrets went shooting by so I tried for a shot off the cuff so to speak and realized my camera had fogged going from the car to the park. Blurds are what I call them. Blurred Birds. Mistakes can be keepers.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I saw this one day driving how from the gym and didn't have a camera with me. So I vowed I would have a camera in the car in case the clouds and sky aligned right again. So I get a Fujifilm S1 to review and I bring it along with me to the gym. I'm heading home. I see the sky is perfect, I slide into the churches parking lot and start snapping. . . and guess who forgot to put a memory card in his camera! UGH. The camera had just enough memory for four pics and the sky changed seconds after I got shooting.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Little park off in the nowhere past the end of town. 30-40 miles to the next civilization going west. Quiet and very desolate yet peaceful.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My neighbor lined my garage with sunflowers one year. It was really painful to get all the way back there as walkers suck on grass.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I saw this one day driving how from the gym and didn't have a camera with me. So I vowed I would have a camera in the car in case the clouds and sky aligned right again. So I get a Fujifilm S1 to review and I bring it along with me to the gym. I'm heading home. I see the sky is perfect, I slide into the churches parking lot and start snapping. . . and guess who forgot to put a memory card in his camera! UGH. The camera had just enough memory for four pics and the sky changed seconds after I got shooting.
View attachment 461451
You are good with that camera. I like doing amateur photography.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts