Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I just bought a 2012 elantra and I love it, great handling and it looks so classy! I have owned one other Hyundai before this and it was a 2007 Tiburon which i flipped but thankfully came away not badly hurt. Needing a new car I decided on this. Being the teen college student I am, I have a very small budget for my car. But needing a hobby bad I have decided to start doing small mods and customizations to my elantra. So I'll be posting all my updates on it here, all advice is greatly appreciated. Can't wait to start on this beauty!

·
22,793 Posts
Welcome Elantrav6! Congrats on the new ride. Make sure you post pics. There's a wealth of info on here and a bunch of guys/gals willing to assist if you need help with anything. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
X2 on the welcome and that red seems to be a bit rare and popular so congrats on your find, I flew two states over to pick up mine at a deal I'd go for.

·
22,793 Posts
X2 on the welcome and that red seems to be a bit rare and popular so congrats on your find, I flew two states over to pick up mine at a deal I'd go for.
Gotcha beat! I flew from Okc to Norfolk to buy my silver one in 2011 at Virginia Beach. That color was impossible to find with gray leather. But what a great ride back! I applaud your perseverance, Motorhead! That's the true meaning of dedication! LOL

·
Registered
62 Posts
Gotcha beat! I flew from Okc to Norfolk to buy my silver one in 2011 at Virginia Beach. That color was impossible to find with gray leather. But what a great ride back! I applaud your perseverance, Motorhead! That's the true meaning of dedication! LOL
I loved the ride back myself, broke her in at 75 to 80 MPH over multiple mountain ranges. 35 and 36 MPG. Guess you don't wonder why I want KYB's and a stabilizer bar. Pushed her through rear suspensition transition a few times, 32 PSI in the tires at the time, bad juju, then she hooked up and tracked like a champ coming out of the corner, I'd rather do without the pucker factor of the transition thanks. 38 front and 36 rear feels better to. Found a wat to settle down the rear suspension for now, I just leave my 3 bowling ball roller bag in the trunk, LOL.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Welcome! Congrats on your purchase.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Congrats! But dang, son I gotta ask....how did you manage to flip a Tiburon?! I always liked how they looked but if they had a sunroof, I couldn't fit in them to the point of it being comical. My short legs and tall upper body doomed me so the only way for me to drive a final-gen Tib with a sunroof was to move the seat forward more than usual and then recline it almost to the point of gangster lean. It looked ridiculous and in fact, the Elantras that now come with the power seat are almost as bad for me. Had the E been equipped with a power seat when I was shopping, I would not have bought it. I tried one out on the showroom floor when I was in for service last and even with the seat all the way down and reclined to my comfort point, my hair was still grazing the headliner. I don't have that issue with my manual seat.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi everyone

I just bought a 2012 elantra and I love it, great handling and it looks so classy! I have owned one other Hyundai before this and it was a 2007 Tiburon which i flipped but thankfully came away not badly hurt. Needing a new car I decided on this. Being the teen college student I am, I have a very small budget for my car. But needing a hobby bad I have decided to start doing small mods and customizations to my elantra. So I'll be posting all my updates on it here, all advice is greatly appreciated. Can't wait to start on this beauty!
:00000732:. I am sorry, but I gotta ask... you said "Great handling...", this is with or without KYB's? Because with the stock shocks if you feel so, you are LUCKY..:D

·
22,793 Posts
@Elantrav6: You think it handles great, now? If that's the case, we know how to make it even GREATER! Don't we guys and gals? ;)

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
a 2007 Tiburon which i flipped... teen college student ....small budget for my car.....this beauty!
Elantra is a beauty! Cheaper additions will help the ride, significantly. However, the engine only has 131 lbs-ft of torque, & may never satisfy, if you wish to up its performance. In contrast, the engine appears to be reliable & built to make minor inroads on your small budget.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. To answer the question on how I flipped my Tiburon, I was going way to fast on a curvy road and hit a dirt mound on a sharp curve going airborne and somehow hit it just right to flip it. I know it sounds next to impossible but with me being the speed crazy person I was at the time I guess anything was possible haha.

Now about me saying it handles well, maybe it’s just me but I really do love how this car handles (having owned the Tiburon and a 2003 Mustang GT). It has a certain grace to it but as I said it may just be me. Where I live in NH there are plenty of windy roads so I feel like it can grip the road well and i can take the corners sharp.

Now getting to the mods...I have just finished tinting all my windows with the back one being 10% and the front being 15%. Also replaced all my interior lights to LED red panels, making the inside have a cool red glow. Finishing it off I installed Duel 10" Magnum MTX Enclosed Box Subs. When I get home from class Ill post some pictures.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The whole back debadged expect for the Hyundai Badge which will be going once I find a cooler badge to replace it with

1 - 20 of 21 Posts