Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

I'm Ryan and I've had the Santa Fe bug for a while now, my mom got a used 2007 gls back in 2010, my dad picked up a 2011 limited back just a couple years ago. so when i went looking for my first car i decided to keep the santa fe in mind, but also wanted a manual as my first car since i've been driving automatics for years. so to my surprise after a couple weeks of looking here and there i found my unicorn. a 2009 2.7l 5 speed manual in dark red. i bought it back april of 2019 with 215k km and has been a pretty smooth ride thus far up to 240k km only one failure being the slave cylinder blew resulting in a visit to the shop, and the common fuel level sensor and fuel sender unit fritz that i fixed myself, only grip is the 2.7l engine can make this car feel like a lazy dog some days not to mention the marriage of the computer controlled throttle body to the transmission giving inconsistent power bands

i've been diy'ing all the maintenance and have flushed every fluid sept for the coolant. installed a sub woofer. and am currently trying to catch up on the rust work that is pilling up as this car hasn't been rust proofed at all of its 10 years and being in the rust belt i do have a decent hole coming out the uni body cross member. imo it's an easy car to work on and something im putting the effort into preserving. i have parking brake cables to swap out the seized cables this coming week and am going to take further note of my under carriage then.

decided i was fixing a paint bubble on the lower fender one day. got close enough i had to take off the mud guard then the sub guard pulled back the wheel liner and the dirt was packed in there up a little higher then the white you see inside the wheel well. while i had the fender off i seized the opportunity to continue the body job. paint is pearl white with a pearl over spray for that extra pearl depth so many manufactures lack. although im going to need to rework just above the headlight as the paint line doesn't follow the line coming from the grill. eventually a stripe to the back tail gate where i have painted the rear emblem pearl too

i also got a new wiper cap to swap out, and will try some plastic rejuvenator out on the sun bleached wiper arm.

an older pic since then i drilled and ran the sub wires through the hatch door for a tidier setup, under neath is a alpine mrv 500 mono amp. so far no issues with heat being in such a confined space and it rocks good just being at about the limit for the alternator
20200314_163925[1].jpg

right now I'm also wanting to go camping out my car and am working out a setup to do it. with the back seats down an air mattress fits perfectly in there. as for air flow i bought window vents, and am going to make magnetic window screens. maybe take out the smaller rear seat for storage but ideally i want everything to fit in the back compartments currently in the back tote from right to left i have.
  • toilet paper
  • air mattress
  • mattress infiltrator
  • 20ft booster cables
  • socket set, under air mattress
  • box of oat meal.
I'm needing to get more and am going to be taking the amp out for more room if need be to try and fit everything.
  • looking at a camping stove
  • pillow
  • sleeping bag
  • first aid kit
  • pan/ kettle/ cups

20200626_063134[1].jpg

thank you guys for taking a read.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Cool man! Didn't realize they made a manual Santa Fe. I just bought my first Santa Fe last weekend, a 2012 GLS with AWD/3.5L V6. Just turned over 18,000 miles today. Lol. My camping vehicle however is my newest project, a 93 Chevy van with only 97,000 miles on the clock.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
wow... another unicorn 5 speed Santa Fe :)

i do like all the ideas for what i should put in the storage in the back. All the camping items sound good. i generally keep a tire inflator. i don't put too much stuff back there because i don't like things jumping and rattling around over bumps. Right now the vehicle is extremely quiet on the inside. Can barely hear the engine.

Mine is originally from the DC/VA/MD area. i wonder if the former owner worked in the Capital. Whoever it was they kept very good care of the vehicle. Now has around 97k or so. Aside from the normal things, like fuel pump/senders (tend to go out at around 90k or so), having to replace a canister purge valve (P0441 code), its been good. i've had it for 6 months now. Excellent vehicle. i wonder if the former owner is on this board. If they see it they can be assured i'm continuing to take good care of it :)

About two weeks ago i picked up an Autel AP200 scanner, and found i had the infamous C1513 (System: ABS/ESC - Brake Switch Circuit Error)... it seems to come and go. I've got the part coming in from the dealer.

i did have a strange issue with the alarm going off randomly during the night. Thanks to a tip from user AUTOSPARK here in the forum and looking at wiring diagrams i managed to just disable the alarm.

How did i decide to go with a CM? i had a friend i used to camp with... and he had a 2007 also... i always admired the beautiful design of it. However, when i inquired whether it came with a manual he said he thought no. When the time came to replace my Mazda B3000 4x4 (also manual tranny) i decided to do some research as to whether the Santa Fe did come with a manual and ran across a news article that it did. Then it was just a matter of hunting one down.

From what i understand they are quite rare. Even the dealership was rather surprised. i will say that the dealership seemed a bit strange. When i ordered parts over the phone and supplied them with part #s they thought it was rather strange for some odd reason. Perhaps most Hyundai owners normally don't do that?

Love it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Got to putting on the window vents, and like anything pulled the window seals to clean and check for rust :rolleyes:. One door was pretty bad, until I get in to fix it I'm rocking 3 window vents.

2.7L

Then my current oily black issue right now, the actuator seal for the primary flow runner has blown and is causing inconsistent power output and some heavy fuel consumption.

Going to find some wreckers to see if I can get a good one. Aswell see if I can get the pressed insert out to replace the seal with something generic as these intakes aren't rebuildible. If I end up pulling the manifold spark plugs, vacum tubes, and, sensors will be replaced. Vacum pots could probably use a cleaning too. And I wouldn't be suprised if a couple screws were missing from the flow runners inside the manifold. That I'll deal with with red lock tight.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Holly hanna. I just did an oil change and inspected the under chassis planning out how I'm going to do a parking break cable replacement and more importantly get a visual for how I'm doing the rack and pinion... well I don't know if it was the prior owner that had the engine cradle supports welded on or the auto shop I went to that wanted me out the door cuase they took 7 weeks for a clutch job, and specifically charged me for 4 bolts and only two of them on aposing side bracket are new.

so I may possibly be sol for dropping the engine cradle since I'd have to either slide the cradle forwards or rotate it, or learn to weld. Fab up a new section of chassis.

Rrrr

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Finished rust repairing my right side fender. And put some new stainless steel hardware in.

Fyi theres a rocker access plug behind the fender if youd want to put some oil in there for rust prevention.

Dumped half a liter in there and had it drip out the seam all the way to the rear.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took it upon myself to finally change the coolant. And got a bit of oil in the coolant, seems to be more oil than what would be on my funnel.

So far I've drained and filled the radiator 7 times and it's gone from a dark green to almost clear, figured this last drain I'll add in pure anti freeze and be all set, overall very easy to do.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Waiting to hear back from the write off company to see if they're going to repair my car, had it in a fender bender couple days ago. Hard enough to pop a tie rod and torque the a arm. Body and everything else is fine so may keep the car to fix myself and get a buddy to "safty it"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good job Ryan! I have to agree these suv's are easy to DIY. I had an 09 3.3L GLS until it got hit while parked, it was hard enough that it bent the front frame so it was a write off it only had 132k on it and ran like a dream. I like the size of sub box you have, perfect fit for this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Totaled"

They took a pictures of the body, but condemned it based soley on its age.

Tie rod and control arm needs replacement and I'll be back on the road in no time. Saving grace the control arm never got oil coated so it rusted to the point it folded, hopefully saving the frame as everything looks square.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hopefully you can get things fixed up again.

"Totaled"

They took a pictures of the body, but condemned it based soley on its age.

Tie rod and control arm needs replacement and I'll be back on the road in no time. Saving grace the control arm never got oil coated so it rusted to the point it folded, hopefully saving the frame as everything looks square.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hopefully you can get things fixed up again.
Lol me to, family is giving me this pessimistic vibe like I shouldn't even try, but I was intending to keep the car to 600k km/ roughly 400k miles. I got 243k km on the odometer right now... might be a 'vintage' by the time it's that high a milage lol.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So doing some research for Ontario's salvaging process. Going to need a frame inspection certificate est $500, in conjunction with a safety certificate est $100 to re-register the vhelical.

Parts could be as cheap as $120 Canadian (from rock auto) if it is just a tie ride and a control arm. Other bo bo is the windshield was previously cracked below the wipers. And I've had new parking break cables sitting in the garage that'd then need to go on to pass

Biggest hit is going to be the certificates, providing the insurance company isn't going to hold my car hostage for the tow fees of roughly $2000k

My endeavor starts monday. I'm thinking my options are take the car and fix myself, if I do have to pay for towing fees see if its feasible to buy the car back. Or last resort have to walk away with cash in hand.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Maybe you can pick up a 2011 3.5 litre. But frankly i think the 2009 3.3 V6 with FWD would be the best choice.

Sad to hear that you have to declare her dead though :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts