Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting my i10 serviced every year for the past 7 years from the same Hyundai dealer in Hitchin. It has never been anywhere else.

Yesterday I received some sad news that Westons Car and Commercial, a Hyundai and Isuzu dealer had gone into administration on Wednesday and closed its doors immediately.

This has left many members of staff suddenly without a job as none of them knew about the situation their employer was in. I was told by a member of staff that on Wednesday afternoon that their services were no longer needed and on Thursday all the cars that were on the forecourt were collected.

Today, (Friday the 8th of December) I went in to see if it was true and I was saddened to see that it was.

I, like some others, had their car booked in for a service and MOT for January, but have to now fond alternative places. Not only that but some, also like myself, have payment plans. Payment plans are a standing order every month to the dealer for however long the plan is for so that you don't have to fork out a large payment for servicing and MOT every year. It's just taken monthly and the work is done.

This is to be returned to me (eventually), as I was at the point when my next service was due so I had accumulated over £200 nearly £300 in payments to them.

So my question to you is, has anyone used Hyundai in Bedford or Luton if you're from around that area? I looked at their prices and they're considerably more expensive than what Westons were charging. My next service is a Full service and MOT - this would have cost £220 for the service and £50 for the MOT. Just seen that Bedford charge £307 for an 8 year service!

I might just drop the idea of getting it done at the main dealer and use a local independent garage that my dad has used since forever (and has an excellent reputation), the only drawback being is that they don't have any service plans.

If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Sorry to hear your dealer has closed even more sorry for the staff just before Christmas. Good luck trying to get your money back.
I would go for the recommended independent option if it were me, just put money aside every month as if you did have a plan open an account for your car maintenance if necessary, its bound to be cheaper than anything the Hyundai dealer was offering.
Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,095 Posts
Yeah, I'm also sorry to hear about your dealership closing. The Hyundai/Mitsubishi dealer I worked in went into administration too but luckily for us the administrator kept the branch running for a while so it wasn't a total shock when they eventually pulled the plug. Obviously it's never nice to loose your job but particularly bad when it happens at this time of year.

Like Longshot, I'd advise you use a good local independent garage for your future service/repairs. They maybe don't offer a service plan but their prices will be much more affordable so you shouldn't need one anyway.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm also sorry to hear about your dealership closing. The Hyundai/Mitsubishi dealer I worked in went into administration too but luckily for us the administrator kept the branch running for a while so it wasn't a total shock when they eventually pulled the plug. Obviously it's never nice to loose your job but particularly bad when it happens at this time of year.

Like Longshot, I'd advise you use a good local independent garage for your future service/repairs. They maybe don't offer a service plan but their prices will be much more affordable so you shouldn't need one anyway.
Sorry to hear your dealer has closed even more sorry for the staff just before Christmas. Good luck trying to get your money back.
I would go for the recommended independent option if it were me, just put money aside every month as if you did have a plan open an account for your car maintenance if necessary, its bound to be cheaper than anything the Hyundai dealer was offering.
Merry Christmas.

Thanks for the replies guys.

When I walked into the shopfront as it'd been almost totally gutted apart from a couple of desks that had a chap behind it, it did feel heart-wrenching. I know I probably wasn't their easiest customer to please but still, I don't like to hear of people losing their jobs so suddenly, especially this close to Christmas.

Initially, I didn't think about the price of the main dealer cost when I went with Westons as believe it or not, their full service was £220, which is £20 less than the independent garage I've chosen to go with.

So as per your recommendations, I've chosen another independent garage to carry out the work.

Have a great weekend :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts