Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd share my experiences with my 2010 Santa Fe. I have the Canadian GL Sport (V6 3.5L) which I bought in July 2010, to replace a 2005 Tucson (V6 model). I have had nothing but grief with the Santa Fe. So here are the issues I have dealt with over my three years of ownership:

- LH front sway bar link loose - fixed under warranty
- RH front bearing faulty - fixed under warranty
- RH front ball joint loose - fixed under warranty
- LH rear door lock actuator failed
- RH front door lock actuator failed
- LH rear seat fabric came loose from the seat reclining lever clip
- Rear hatch shocks replaced (shuddering or skipping when closing hatch)
- Rear hatch shocks replaced a second time for same issue
- front firewall/bulkhead oil canning sound - TSB carried out to correct
- front bulkhead oil canning noise re-appeared a few months later - TSB once again carried out to correct issue
- front bulkhead oiul canning noise unresolved as the noise has since reappeared, TSB to be once again redone
- driver side window exterior trim loose, fixed by re-installing / gluing ???
- car wouldn't start, intermittent problem - immobilizer system antenna replaced
- car wouldn't start again a few days later (always intermittent) - immobilizer system computer replaced, appears to have resolved the issue
- rear hatch door corrosion - fixed under warranty
- driver side rear break light has moisture inside - initial fix was to silicone the housing to prevent moisture from ingressing into the housing
- noisy sunroof when tilting open and closing from tilt position, like a rubbing noise
- parking (emergency) brake cable on RH side seized - replaced under warranty
- parking (emergency) brake pivot (inside drum portion of rotor) seized - dealer looking into whether or not this is under warranty
- front axle spacer rings broken at both the LH & RH wheel hub areas - there was a TSB that covered replacement of these rings

While dealer experience has been hit & miss, depending on who I deal with. On one occasion, I've had to rent a vehicle on my own dime because the repairs took longer than anticipated, and the dealer had no more courtesy cars.

My overall take on this vehicle is that it's a very cheaply made car. Lots of interior noise from plastics, horrible suspension that generate too much noise / thumps through the cabin and vehicle structure.

I have wanted to love this car but it keeps letting me down. I've never been to any dealership garage for so many issues in ANY of the seven vehicles I have previously owned.

Seriously thinking this will be my last Hyundai. It will be extremely difficult to shake off this experience.

From a disgruntled Hyundai owner.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just thought I'd share my experiences with my 2010 Santa Fe. I have the Canadian GL Sport (V6 3.5L) which I bought in July 2010, to replace a 2005 Tucson (V6 model). I have had nothing but grief with the Santa Fe. So here are the issues I have dealt with over my three years of ownership:

- front bulkhead oil canning noise re-appeared a few months later - TSB once again carried out to correct issue
- front bulkhead oiul canning noise unresolved as the noise has since reappeared, TSB to be once again redone
- car wouldn't start, intermittent problem - immobilizer system antenna replaced
- car wouldn't start again a few days later (always intermittent) - immobilizer system computer replaced, appears to have resolved the issue
- driver side rear break light has moisture inside - initial fix was to silicone the housing to prevent moisture from ingressing into the housing
- noisy sunroof when tilting open and closing from tilt position, like a rubbing noise
- parking (emergency) brake pivot (inside drum portion of rotor) seized - dealer looking into whether or not this is under warranty
- front axle spacer rings broken at both the LH & RH wheel hub areas - there was a TSB that covered replacement of these rings

While dealer experience has been hit & miss, depending on who I deal with. On one occasion, I've had to rent a vehicle on my own dime because the repairs took longer than anticipated, and the dealer had no more courtesy cars.

My overall take on this vehicle is that it's a very cheaply made car. Lots of interior noise from plastics, horrible suspension that generate too much noise / thumps through the cabin and vehicle structure.

I have wanted to love this car but it keeps letting me down. I've never been to any dealership garage for so many issues in ANY of the seven vehicles I have previously owned.

Seriously thinking this will be my last Hyundai. It will be extremely difficult to shake off this experience.

Me too, long list for our Sonata I too also have chronic e brake seizing as well .
I was told at one point it's because I use it too much !

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
That's a horrendous list of problems - but it doesn't seem to be typical of other Santa Fe owners experience so you seem to have drawn the statistical "short straw" - I'm not aware of any brand that's totally immune from a rogue car once in a while so hopefully you won't get one with you next vehicle.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
I gotta tell you - we own a 2008 SF LTD with 83K miles and it has never been in for actual repairs except for a fuel pump. I really can't say anything bad about our 08.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Agreed. In the grand scheme of bell curves, somebody is always going to get one that's out on the wrong edge. How wrong the edge is, however, does depend a bit on the quality control folks.

I'm just glad this sort of story is as rare as it is.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

I gotta say, I don't blame you. Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We have a 2007 SF with only 65,000 kms (40,000 miles). We bought it used about 2 years ago and the only thing that bugs me about Hyundai and Kia (I have a Kia Rondo as well) are the recalls.

We've own many different brands before (Ford, Mazda, Nissan, Honda) and within 2 years of ownerships of those 2 vehicles, we have about 4 or 5 recalls on each vehicles already.

We would take the car in for the recall and then a few months later, another recall letter would come. It is such a hassle to bring the car in and the dealer won't fix it right away. We would need to leave our car there pretty much all day so he can get to it later.

The latest one is the brake light recall and I haven't brought it in yet because I'm hoping (or not hoping) that another recall letter would come so I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Will this be my last Hyundai or Kia....not sure but definitely will not be on top of my list in the future.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
4 or 5 on your Santa Fe bought on 2011? I can only think of 3 you should have seen, off hand .. one per year.

Air bag clock spring (2011)
Passenger air bag seat sensor (2012)
Brake light switch (2013)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I don't mind recalls when needed, at least the manufacture is acknowledging a problem. The real problem I think is when the auto maker says we don't think there is a problem. Of course it would be a pain to deal with. I've only ever got one recall notice on a German built Ford, for crappy brake pads the wore out prematurely. cheers.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Some brands have fewer recalls by digging their heels in and denying the issue - which would you rather have ?

Digging your heels in doesn't work with the mindset of the US commitzars who decide what they think is good for us. They have far more ability, time, money, and ego to force the issue on those who might try to deny.

The trouble free history of our 2001 had a great influence on buying again in 2013............ which also has no problems. The poor OP just got unlucky.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Some brands have fewer recalls by digging their heels in and denying the issue - which would you rather have ?
What's worse, many of those recalls (like Ford fuel pumps, or GM head gaskets) affected the day-to-day reliability of hundreds of thousands of cars for years before anything was done about it. Hardly the case with the Santa Fe.

Clearly the OP's 'Fe was a statistical outlier - a lemon- in terms of the sheer number of issues. But in fairness most of them are minor, and some are simple DIY maintenance items. For example, all liftgate struts will chatter if left open awhile, and most sunroofs will require lubrication and/or rubber dressing at some point to prevent noise. To list these as recurring "defects" reflects the OP's frustrated state of mind more than objective vehicle quality.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
What's worse, many of those recalls (like Ford fuel pumps, or GM head gaskets) affected the day-to-day reliability of hundreds of thousands of cars for years before anything was done about it. Hardly the case with the Santa Fe.

Clearly the OP's 'Fe was a statistical outlier - a lemon- in terms of the sheer number of issues. But in fairness most of them are minor, and some are simple DIY maintenance items. For example, all liftgate struts will chatter if left open awhile, and most sunroofs will require lubrication and/or rubber dressing at some point to prevent noise. To list these as recurring "defects" reflects the OP's frustrated state of mind more than objective vehicle quality.
Don, don't discount personality variances too. I've known types of people that complain about the most minute things that wouldn't even show up on my radar. Not saying the OP is this type, but I've run across a lot of people like that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don, don't discount personality variances too. I've known types of people that complain about the most minute things that wouldn't even show up on my radar. Not saying the OP is this type, but I've run across a lot of people like that.
As stated in my initial post, I had a 2005 Tucson, first year production vehicle with zero issues. As far as personality variances go, they have absolutely no bearing over failing parts ( door lock actuators, car not starting...). I don't know anyone who would put up with these issues and especially the numerous dealer visits required to fix them. I know I didn't buy a Lexus, but I expected the Santa Fe to be at least as reliable as my first year production Tucson.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My 2010 Santa Fe also has long list of issues and even worse some are still on-ongoing. Some can't be re-created and some can't be fixed after repairs.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The one thing I can agree is the sway bar end links are cheap and aftermarket is the way to go. I find the front suspension is too choppy and hear excessive chops in road and road noise mostly due to crappy kumho tires and front suspension sucks.

Other than that, I think you got a lemon and is definitely not the norm.

I think, so far with 38K trouble free miles in 2 years, the 3.5L V6 is stellar great gas mileage and more than adequate pickup especially in my FWD model.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the Canadian GL Sport (V6 3.5L) which I bought in July 2010 ... I have had nothing but grief with the Santa Fe.
I also have a Sport V6 bought in Canada in July 2010 and I haven't had any of these issues. I can't imagine the frustration you must feel having to deal with what is clearly a lemon, but I just wanted to add that it's not representative every SF of the same model/vintage.

-A

·
Registered
168 Posts
I also have a Sport V6 bought in Canada in July 2010 and I haven't had any of these issues. I can't imagine the frustration you must feel having to deal with what is clearly a lemon, but I just wanted to add that it's not representative every SF of the same model/vintage.

-A
I'm the same. I have a 2010 with V6 and AWD and have no issues - and I am anal about my vehicles. Have over 76,000 kms on it. The front struts were replaced under warranty and the stop lamps switch under recall.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My wifes' 2010 seems to be OK at 50k kilometers except for brakes, struts and front suspension in general.
Between the 50k service interval at the dealer and brake replacement costs last week at my mechanics garage, I'm out $1,300. Could have been $1,600 if all had been done at the dealer. The more I think about this, the more irritated I get. None of my cars took this much cash at 50k.
I guess that's what I deserve when I don't do the work myself. I was too busy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts