Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start out by saying that this has already been fixed under warranty, so, I'm not too concerned about it. Also, in no way, shape, or form did this negatively affect the function of the headlights, including sealing out moisture.

See pics. They started peeling at the top. I don't have an explanation at this point as to why this happened, but, it's still weird. The passenger side was much worse than the driver's side.

I don't park my car outside in the sun regularly (it's parked underground at work, and garaged at home), so, I don't think it's sun damage. I'd think that'd cause yellowing, anyway. There haven't been any headlight films applied to it, or anything of the sort. The car has been waxed once, but, only the painted parts. I watched the guy do it, and he didn't touch the headlights.

Anyway, just figured I'd share it. Like I said, it was covered under warranty. Still very strange.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Looks like clearcoat failure that happens on older sun-baked lenses.

I normally never apply anything to my headlights but I may start periodically waxing them now :|

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, pretty crazy. I'll keep an eye on these. The sun is pretty harsh here, but, like I said, the car spends most of its time with a roof over the top of it.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Back to the dealership to have them replaced, no excuse from Hyundai on this
Seriously? No excuses? Hyundai is producing hundreds of thousands of these cars and distributing them all over the globe. A failure of some part is not just probable, but expected. This is why the manufacturer provides a warranty. Hyundai did everything they should've done here, which rightfully included fixing it under the warranty.

Sometimes I feel like Hyundai is more harshly criticized than most foreign manufacturers and I'm not entirely sure why. They make a decent automobile at very competitive prices and offer the longest non-lawsuit triggered warranty (VW) on the market. Is it the best car on the road? No, probably not. You also didn't pay to have the best car on the road.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
It looks like clear coat peel but I wouldn't think the headlight assy would be clear coated. Seen it before. As I recall it was an issue with the manufacture of the plastic pellets or the injection molding process. Been a long time. This is not new.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My 2018 Elantra VE (unfortunately) spends most of its time out in the Phoenix sun, but I haven't run into this issue yet...odd.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
You can take some sandpaper, ~600 grit and sand the peeling paint off, then wet sand with 1200 grit, then 2000 grit, then take a buffing wheel and buff it shiny, and cover with this:

Shop around; some places sell it for $25, others for $55. I got 2 cans at $35 each when the going price was $48.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Seriously? No excuses? Hyundai is producing hundreds of thousands of these cars and distributing them all over the globe. A failure of some part is not just probable, but expected. This is why the manufacturer provides a warranty. Hyundai did everything they should've done here, which rightfully included fixing it under the warranty.

Sometimes I feel like Hyundai is more harshly criticized than most foreign manufacturers and I'm not entirely sure why. They make a decent automobile at very competitive prices and offer the longest non-lawsuit triggered warranty (VW) on the market. Is it the best car on the road? No, probably not. You also didn't pay to have the best car on the road.
Calm down. Perhaps I can rephrase myself so you're not so triggered: "No excuse from the dealership." is what I was meaning to say.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Calm down. Perhaps I can rephrase myself so you're not so triggered: "No excuse from the dealership." is what I was meaning to say.
It's not being triggered when pointing out something that is wrong.

What you said and what you were "meaning to say" are two different things. No excuses from Hyundai insinuates that they should be above a product (likely 3rd party product) failing on a car. While "no excuse from the dealership" clearly is referring to upholding the warranty, which is exactly what happened. I don't agree with the first insinuation, but I agree with your corrected statement.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'll start out by saying that this has already been fixed under warranty, so, I'm not too concerned about it. Also, in no way, shape, or form did this negatively affect the function of the headlights, including sealing out moisture.

See pics. They started peeling at the top. I don't have an explanation at this point as to why this happened, but, it's still weird. The passenger side was much worse than the driver's side.

I don't park my car outside in the sun regularly (it's parked underground at work, and garaged at home), so, I don't think it's sun damage. I'd think that'd cause yellowing, anyway. There haven't been any headlight films applied to it, or anything of the sort. The car has been waxed once, but, only the painted parts. I watched the guy do it, and he didn't touch the headlights.

Anyway, just figured I'd share it. Like I said, it was covered under warranty. Still very strange.
This started happening about 2 months ago to mine; This October will be 2 years since I've bought the car and I live in the Caribbean, so the sun is pretty harsh here. I have no garage, so my car is outside 100% in the street where I live. It's just the clearcoat peeling off, I plan to get it fixed soon. I had changed my left headlamp about three months ago, so that one will get the same treatment to prevent this from happening to it as well.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This started happening about 2 months ago to mine; This October will be 2 years since I've bought the car and I live in the Caribbean, so the sun is pretty harsh here. I have no garage, so my car is outside 100% in the street where I live. It's just the clearcoat peeling off, I plan to get it fixed soon. I had changed my left headlamp about three months ago, so that one will get the same treatment to prevent this from happening to it as well.
What prompted the replacement of the left headlamp?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Modern lexan/plastic headlamp assemblies have a clear UV protection coating on the lens. With proper care it should last 3-5 years. A car that's a year old or so shouldn't have this failure - it's probably just a batch defect. Folks in areas with milder summers probably won't see early failures like you do here in the Southwest with our high 90-low 100 degree days, plus intense direct sun/heat. But, like everyone said, it's under warranty, so no worries.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What prompted the replacement of the left headlamp?
Got into a minor fender-bender back in March this year; I wasn't paying attention at an intersection, and I thought that the driver in front had moved off. I absentmindedly took my foot off the brake and the car rolled forward and into the rear of a Tuscon. That damaged the left side of my fender and broke the left headlamp. Good thing the owner (who also happened to be a police woman) was extremely understanding and we quickly sorted the repair to her vehicle out. The headlamp I ended up buying wasn't the same as what originally came with the car, as mine if the Korean built model and from what I later learnt there are at least three variations in the headlamps (the original has the park lights at the front; the replacement just like the US versions has the park lights on the side with an orange reflector). I prefer the replacement's look, so I'm going to buy another later this year and change the right side to match.

·
22,788 Posts
Looks like clearcoat failure that happens on older sun-baked lenses.

I normally never apply anything to my headlights but I may start periodically waxing them now :|
I have made it a point to wax those lenses on all of our newer cars. Looking (hoping) for some UV protection. Proud to say, so far, never had this issue rear it’s ugly head. I’ll just keep waxing and buffing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts