Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit the bottom corner of the front bumper on a tall curb putting a 10 inch long gash in it. Oh well, now I can eat lunch in my car. :rant2:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry to hear that. You are not alone. I pulled into a parking slot today at the bank, got out and looked at the curb clearance. Absolutely must of been only
1/4" or worse! I have scratched that right side underneath also.
As much as I love the car, if Hyundai had (or I guess someone else) a method to put that front up an inch or so I would probably do it.
Ah well, I have learned to be cognizant of that minor problem.
But you will enjoy the vehicle and congrats on your purchase.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i hit this part too while parking. it's not visible unless you crouch and look underneath, but it's still painful....
the black plastic part under the front of the car is pretty useless cz the part I scratched is much lower than that..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know your pain, as does anyone around to hear me shouting profanities in aggravation.

I parked really close to the curb in order to keep one side of my car safe, and managed to hit the curb because the car's bumper is lower than my old Taurus. I have a 1"x5" scrape on the bottom of the passenger side of the bumper.

Can't see it unless you're lying on the ground...but I know it's there.

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (shinigami @ Aug 5 2010, 11:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347482
what's a quick solution for this scratch? anyone?
depends on how deep the scratch is. Might be able to sand and buff it as long as its only scratched the clear. If it has gone all the way through then you can't ''fix'' it unless you repaint the part. Sure you can fill it in but that always looks like crap to me no matter how you do it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
QUOTE (eyecue @ Aug 6 2010, 08:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347540
depends on how deep the scratch is. Might be able to sand and buff it as long as its only scratched the clear. If it has gone all the way through then you can't ''fix'' it unless you repaint the part. Sure you can fill it in but that always looks like crap to me no matter how you do it.
it's deep enough to feel it and i can see the black underneath the paint.

i'm sure anything will look better than this! what do i do exactly after i sand it? what grit should i use?

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (shinigami @ Aug 6 2010, 10:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347548
it's deep enough to feel it and i can see the black underneath the paint.

i'm sure anything will look better than this! what do i do exactly after i sand it? what grit should i use?
If it went through the paint there is no point sanding. The purose of sanding is to get the scratch out of the clear, can't sand to get paint back on the part scratched. Your cheapest alternative to actually painting it would be to get one of those paint matched scratch pens. I believe there is a website that lets you put in your actual vin and gives you the correct paint code, as opposed to getting a generic ''black''.

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (w9nwrwi @ Aug 5 2010, 07:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347432
Sorry to hear that. You are not alone. I pulled into a parking slot today at the bank, got out and looked at the curb clearance. Absolutely must of been only
1/4" or worse! I have scratched that right side underneath also.
As much as I love the car, if Hyundai had (or I guess someone else) a method to put that front up an inch or so I would probably do it.
Ah well, I have learned to be cognizant of that minor problem.
But you will enjoy the vehicle and congrats on your purchase.
lift the car an inch? Are you crazy? lol. I'm about to drop it soon, the car is way too high! It's all about driving skills, I've had lowered cars in the past and I never hit a curb.

Pay attention to curbs people! They don't just appear from nowhere.

·
Registered
247 Posts
QUOTE (eyecue @ Aug 6 2010, 09:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347550
If it went through the paint there is no point sanding. The purose of sanding is to get the scratch out of the clear, can't sand to get paint back on the part scratched. Your cheapest alternative to actually painting it would be to get one of those paint matched scratch pens. I believe there is a website that lets you put in your actual vin and gives you the correct paint code, as opposed to getting a generic ''black''.
no, my car is silver blue. the scratch is deep enough that it shows black underneath that silver blue....
would a paint pen work on that?

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (shinigami @ Aug 6 2010, 10:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347555
no, my car is silver blue. the scratch is deep enough that it shows black underneath that silver blue....
would a paint pen work on that?
Well I was just using black as an example. You could get a silver blue paint pen. I saw the website in one of these threads.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Just go to a auto paint store and have them make you a can of matching factory paint in a aerosol can. Sand, mask, paint, dry, and hope you did everything right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts