Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Santa Fe Sport Limited 2.0T AWD
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I'm going to book an appointment with my dealership, but thought I would run this by the Santa Fe group for any comments/feedback.

On Sunday, I was driving on the highway and noticed an intermittent hum/rumble which seemed like it was coming from the front of the car. At first, I thought it was due to the road quality where you encounter cuts/cracks in the road which could cause similar hum/rumble. The condition of the road changed over to a brand new smooth surface for several miles. I noticed that the same hum/rumble was still there.

I'm not sure how else to describe this?... The tires would go through several rotations before each hum/rumble. For example, x = tire rotations and y = hum/rumble.

xxx y xxx y xxx y xxx y ...very similar to driving on rumble strips that have been placed on the road.

When I got off the highway I also noticed that this hum/rumble would occur during regular driving speeds.

I checked tire pressure all around and all was fine. Took a quick peek underneath and could not spot anything out of the ordinary.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any comments/feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Registered
116 Posts
You said that the sound also happens at lower speeds. When it does, does it happen with the same frequency or is there more of a break between the sounds due to the lower speed.
xxx y xxx y xxx y xxx y regardless of speed or xxx y xxx y xxx y xxx y

Leaning toward a wheel bearing failure at this stage.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Haith.

There is more of a break between the sounds at a lower speed. I also should mention that this sound does not always happen. It comes and goes.

I agree with the wheel bearing failure as well...first thing that came to mind.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
A sticking brake caliper or defective tire might also cause symptoms like this. Whatever the cause, I wouldn't delay having it fixed. You never know what it might be doing to your tires, brake pads, rotors, etc. which are not covered under warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2007 Santa Fe and have a similar problem. The vehicle has 42,000 miles on it. I've checked everything I can think of: tires, rotors, calipers, cv joints, transmission fluid level, etc. and haven't noticed anything abnormal. However, the vehicle hums from the front at all speeds. The faster you go the louder the hum is. It seems to peak at about 50 mph. I tried rotating the tires but it didn't seem to change anything. The vehicle does seems to doing everything else correctly as it's supposed to. I haven't noticed any problems with handling of the vehicle, turning or braking. I'm totally baffled but am leaning towards a problem with the tires. The original Bridgestone tires are still on the vehicle. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Radar2000, have you figured this out? Just wondering, as I'm experiencing the same issue. It's most noticeable at 100km/hr and over, but still feel it to an extent at all speeds.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not yet. Argh! I'm swamped at work and can't pin point a date to bring my car in.

I notice this rotational hum/vibration at any speed...It seems to be coming from the driver side front. It comes and goes.

Another observation that I noticed, is that there seems to be some kind of gunk/oil that appears on my front driver rim in the same spot all of the time. I wonder if this leak is contributing to this rotational hum/vibration issue???

I know I know, bring the car in for servicing...but when??? Argh!!!

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Do you still have the OEM Bridgestone Duelers tires on there? They were really crappy tires, and LOTS of people complained about noise from them. I'd change the tires before I'd suspect the bearings. If you look at the ratings on tirerack.com, you'll see how bad they are rated. Do a search on this forum and you'll see PLENTY of complaints.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I brought my Santa Fe into the dealership last week, to have them examine the rotational hum/vibration that I had described above. I requested to take the mechanic who would be looking after my car for a drive to demonstrate this issue. After a few minutes, the rotational hum/vibration was there and the mechanic mentioned that he heard it.

I left my car there for most of the day, as I also wanted them to examine some harsh tranny shifting/lack of power on the lower gears.

I get a call back saying that the car is ready to be picked up. I arrive at the dealership only to be told that they could not figure it out??? I informed them that I was not pleased with this outcome as it Hyundai's responsibility to address car defects/issues. They did not challenge me on my reply and understood my concerns. They replied saying that they would need to have the car back in again, as they will need to call in a Hyundai Canada rep to inspect the issue and provide the proper resolution. They mentioned that I should not worry about the car from a safety perspective and asked that I bring the car back in if the rotational hum/vibration got louder, which would help them identify the issue better. I agreed to this as the service department folks have treated me well in the past. I was not pleased, but I wasn't going to raise a fuss any further.

On a separate note, they did address the harsh tranny shifting/lack of power on the lower gears issue. They reset the adaptive learning module and did some type of ECU update. Let me tell you, the difference was night and day. The car shifts a lot smoother now and has a greater performance response when I drop the pedal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It definitely sounds like a wheel bearing.

I've had two go in other cars and there is a distinctive hum as you describe. Furthermore, anything showing on the rim is an indication that something is leaking, and it is possible that the bearing is going bad.

I can tell you that I had a Pontiac Bonneville and my anti-lock break light came on. Not long after I got the hum. Turns out that the bearing leaked oil and it sprayed on the anti-lock break sensor causing a false reading. Replacing the bearing did the trick.

A sure fire way to test if it is indeed a bearing is while you hear the noise, turn the wheel a little to the right or left. If it is a bearing, the noise will usually go away. Just go in a large parking lot and drive about 10 miles an hour while the noise is happening. Turn the wheel slightly and then back to straight. Try it several times. If the noise goes away, it is the bearing.

It could also be a tire. After hearing the noise, put the spare on the side you think the noise is coming from. If the noise goes away, you know it is the tire. The steel belts in radials can move out of round and cause vibration or hum. Also have the suspected tire rebalanced. Never know, it could just be a balance problem.

Other than that, not being around the car, I have no idea.

good luck

rutan

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hi everyone.

Thought I would resurrect this thread of mine to give you all an update and status on this grinding hum issue...

This month, I brought my car into the dealership to have them spend some more time investigating this issue. I left my car for 2 days.

When I picked up the car, they said that they took it for a test drive and could not hear anything. My concern with this comment was, that not only could you hear this issue, but you could feel the grinding hum from under the drivers side floor and pedals.

They checked the following and found everything to be OK:

- Checked suspension = OK
- Checked wheel bearing = OK
- Check Axel L/S front and re-torqued = found OK

So I drive home from the dealership and immediately the grinding sound/vibration can be detected. Not only that, but it seems to have gotten worse / more frequent!!!

At this point, I'm really frustrated. I've lost time and money by trying to work with my dealership to try and solve this issue. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

On Monday, I think I'm going to give Hyundai Canada a call to see if I can open a formal ticket with them to see if I can get a Hyundai Canada master mechanic involved.

Thanks for your support.

Cheers!

PS. Just to respond to some of the suggestions/comments above regarding tires... This issue occurs with both my OEM Hyundai tires and with my Winters tires. Therefore, it doesn't seem to be a tire issue.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the humming related to wheel speed?
I start to hear and feel the grinding hum once the car reaches 40 Km/h.

Thanks for asking and please let me know if there are any other questions that could help me pin point this issue.

Cheers!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also it's more of a grind sound / feel...then a hum.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...And yet another update.

I brought my car in this past Friday, as the grind noise has become more frequent and louder.

I took one of the service advisers again for a test drive and had them confirm that they could hear the grinding sound from the front of the car (which can be heard/felt under both the drivers and passenger side).

He seemed to think that it was an alignment issue. I had my doubts, but had them perform an alignment to the car.

Before I picked up my car, I asked them him if he took it for another test drive. He claimed that he did and that he did not notice the sound. Unfortunately I was skeptical...

I picked up the car, drove it off the lot and long and behold, the grind was still there. It was the end of the day and the shop was closed.

I am beyond frustrated now. I love my Santa Fe, but I'm having a terrible service experience with Hyundai, as they can't pin point this issue.

Can anyone shed some advice or experience as to what could be causing this?

HELP!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
...I can get this grind sound to appear more frequent when I'm turning onto a highway while holding onto a long right turn.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Can you take it to a different Hyundai dealer for inspection? It sounds like this dealer seriously does not give a you know what about doing their jobs properly! What ever happened to the request to have a Hyundai Canada master mechanic get involved?

Good luck and let us know whey you finally get it resolved!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts