Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought you guys might appreciate this...

It was 1986, my wife and I had been married about a year and we needed a car, bad. I went to the big used car place in our area and we walked the lot for an hour but couldn't find anything that was a good match. So we went into the showroom for a break, and there sitting in the middle of the floor was this little brown car.

We wanted a small 4-cyl with manual trans, and it fit the bill. Except I couldn't even pronounce the name! It looked brand new, but actually had 8K miles on it. I took it for a test drive and the next thing ya know we're doing the paperwork. I didn't even realize it had air conditioning until we were driving home with it.

It is amazing how dated it looks, it wasn't so bad back in the day. So here it is, my '86 Hyundai Excel, the first year these were sold in America.

I think I paid $6K for it. It was a good car, I put a bunch of miles on it then drove it into a ditch. I ended up getting a new 2008 Excel which had an improved front design. I still remember the loan on that one, my first new car: $10K.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Classic! I'm digging the...white-on-tan(?) interior and the crank windows! My kids still don't believe me when I say that cars didn't always have power windows!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey, that one is upscale--it has carpet. A friend of mine bought a new one that year and it didn't have carpet...bare metal floors. But she drove that thing for a long time.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it was a light tan interior. It was very plush. The floor mats were mine, and pretty ugly in retrospect!!

LOL at the crank windows!!

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
My kids still don't believe me when I say that cars didn't always have power windows!
All my cars had hand rolled windows since 1969.... even my 2006 Dodge Caliber, which I traded for 2013 Elantra, this past May.

Just proves that kids have beginnings...... not too far back, at all! Never met a kid recently, that was born in 1960.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Reminds me of my 87 Chrysler Lebaron. Grandpa bought it brand new and I got it in 99 with 27K miles. I doubled the mileage in a few years and little sis drove her until 2005. The floods from Hurricane Katrina finally killed her.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Those weren't Hyundai's best days. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
That car reminds me of my 1987 Nissan Sentra. The Sentra would blow trans fluid out the vent tube if you went over 70 MPH. A long trip would soak everything under the hood in red fluid and when you stopped you would think the engine was on fire. Oh the Good Ole Days!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts