Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished off my last tank today, 600.4 miles indicated, and it took 16.942 gallons between fills. That calculates to an average of 35.44 MPG. ECO mode with combined city and highway, air conditioning on half the days, windows open other days. I live in Louisville, KY. In city, back roads, interstate driving all included.

It's nice to know my car can get this kind of mileage if I really try :). And I had over 1.5 gallons left in the tank, though I wouldn't want to push it farther.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You must have driven with an egg between your foot and gas pedal. The most that I have seen on my Sonata is 30.8 and that was with ECO in on position.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed. It was the first time I really tried to get good mileage for a whole tank. Coasted down hills and to stop lights. Kept it at around 63 indicated mph on interstate. Although I did get caught in some bumper to bumper stop and go on I65 during morning rush the other day.

I usually lead foot it, almost never drive in ECO and get crappy mileage (the turbo is too much fun). Wanted to see how well it could do for a whole tank if I took it easy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few points:

Kroger 93 octane gas.
All pleasure driving. I had off this week, so no short errands, and not my normal commute.
32000 miles on odometer.
Running Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric all season for about 2000 miles now, 36 PSI.
Tire Rack specifies 806 revs per mile, vs 801 for the OEM tires. So I probably was 3 or 4 miles short of 600.4 miles, resulting in closer to 35.2 MPG I think.

Still, an easy 600 mile tank on a car that is capable of speeds in excess of 150MPH.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
On most tank fulls I only get about 17 MPG--- but my commute to work is just under three and a half miles, and there are two stop signs and four traffic lights. So on a typical week day I'd cover about seven miles while encountering four stop signs and eight lights and TON of bump-to-bumper at 5 PM. I'm not unhappy with the 17. I get 35 on the highway (70-80 MPH). I just bought the wrong Sonata; I should have got the Hybrid not the turbo-- but in March, the new & much improved 2013 Hybrid was not yet available

·
Registered
559 Posts
I get 25-27MPG usually. I'm sure I could get over 30 if I wasn't trying to chirp my tires at every stop light and addicted to the smell of burnt rubber (trying to toast these OEM POFS Hankooks!) :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On most tank fulls I only get about 17 MPG--- but my commute to work is just under three and a half miles, and there are two stop signs and four traffic lights. So on a typical week day I'd cover about seven miles while encountering four stop signs and eight lights and TON of bump-to-bumper at 5 PM. I'm not unhappy with the 17. I get 35 on the highway (70-80 MPH). I just bought the wrong Sonata; I should have got the Hybrid not the turbo-- but in March, the new & much improved 2013 Hybrid was not yet available
My normal commute is about 4 miles one way, up Preston highway from Okolona, to Fern Valley road. I would have been better off with the hybrid as well. Not just for gas mileage, but that turbo is a ticket waiting to happen. I may look at the 2014 Sonata hybrid when it comes out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts