Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left work yesterday, sat at a red light for a bit, then continued on down the road. I had gone about two miles. It was a normal central Florida day, about 95 degrees, so the engine was already at normal operating temperature. I was going around 45 mph when the engine just died.

I got it pulled over to the side of the road and tried restarting it. All the lights on the dash came on (as normal), but the starter would do nothing. No clicking noise or anything when I turned the key. I pulled out my warranty info and called the roadside assistance number. They said a tow truck would be there within an hour. After I hung up, I tried the key again and this time it started. I let it run for a few minutes before I called to cancel the tow truck.

At one point in my journey home I had to get on the highway and was going 70 mph. It died and then quickly restarted without me doing anything. It jerked the car like I ran something over, but kept going. I got off the highway and was on the road to my neighborhood when it died the final time, while I was traveling at 25 mph.

The tow truck driver said his company tows 5 to 7 Hyundai's a day with this same problem. He claims all but the Genesis are prone to this problem. The service writer at the dealership says he's full of it. They've been looking at my car all day today (supposedly) and still have no clue what's wrong with it. If it were as common a problem as the tow truck driver says, then I would think the dealership would have seen the problem before and know what to do.

It's a 2011 Elantra GLS with 17,100 miles on it. Anybody else have this problem?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
That's very odd. I would refuse to take the car back until the dealer drives it extensively. If it happens as frequently as it happened to you, they shouldn't have to drive it far but there's definitely something wrong.

Oh and +1 on the tow truck driver being full of it. They think every car is a pile of crap because they only see cars when they're broken down and the owner is pissed off about being late.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Remove the ground cable from the body there by hood hinge.. grind the paint off to bare steel, apply some sort of anti-seize or other water resistant grease to the bare metal, and re-attach the negative cable.. as everybody should know, paint is an insulator.. not a conductor.

Find the other ground in engine compartment off engine to body, do the same thing.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
I seem to remember One or two other mentions of this problem earlier this year. Can't remember the final outcome. Bad alternator or charging system can cause this among other things. In older cars the distributor cap and rotor was a common culprit. Let us know what they find.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
The tow truck driver said his company tows 5 to 7 Hyundai's a day with this same problem.
Translation: He once towed a Mazda that wouldn't run, and them foreign cars is all the same. :gitara:

Let us know what the dealer finds.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I seem to remember One or two other mentions of this problem earlier this year. Can't remember the final outcome. Bad alternator or charging system can cause this among other things. In older cars the distributor cap and rotor was a common culprit. Let us know what they find.
There were 2
1 - Loose connection on fuse box.
2- Never posted as far as I can remember (Also in FL)

·
6,836 Posts
Translation: He once towed a Mazda that wouldn't run, and them foreign cars is all the same. :gitara:

Let us know what the dealer finds.
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

So true. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After two days, they called to tell me they still didn't know what was wrong. The ECM wasn't communicating with their diagnostic equipment, so they ordered a new ECM and it should be in the next day.

The next day they called to say they found a loose wire and the mechanic wanted to drive the car home to make sure that was the problem. I told them if they put gas in it, I had no problem with that. (They were adamant that I return the loaner with a full tank of gas)

The next day they called to say that everything was taken care of and to come pick it up. Then they called me a little while later to say that it was turning over very slowly and they needed it another day.

I picked it up today. I didn't get to talk to the mechanics and the service writer I'd been dealing with didn't work today. It shows this on the paperwork: "REPAIR TERMINAL J AT EC II. LOOSE. RECHECK SYSTEM" (the loose wire) and "GDS SCAN FOUND CODES FOR P0304, CYLINDER 4 MISFIRE. REPLACE COIL AND SPARK PLUG ON CYLINDER 4." (the turning over slowly problem)

And they even wanted to keep it another day. I said no, I wanted it back. It went in there with half a tank of gas and left with a quarter tank. I just had back surgery a few weeks ago and had to pay $3,000 out of my pocket. I have nothing left in my bank account. They told me at least three times to return the loaner with a full tank of gas, and never put any gas in mine after the mechanic drove it home. Now I don't have enough gas to get to work next week!

I don't think I'll be going back to that dealership!

·
22,793 Posts
ah man, thats horrible. Sorry to hear of your experience. Hopefully the problem is fixed though.
Sorry for your pain and suffering. With the back AND the dealer...in that order. I'd call and explain this to the Dealer's GM. They owe you to make that gas tank issue correct. Or, I hate to bring this up: find a different dealer if that option is feasible.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welp, just encountered this last night ourselves.

I was riding passenger.

Cruising to dinner last night in slow traffic 25-30mph and all the instrument lights and exterior lights flickered rapidly and then the car acted like you pulled the negative terminal and everything IMMEDIATELY died.

We rolled to a stop (thankfully it changed red), she turned the key off and back on, at this point all instruments and exterior lights came on as normal, she tried to restart and no starter action or clicking, it took a few off/on attempts and then it started and all was normal.

We arrive at the restaurant and with the car running i twisted, lightly tugged, and turned all battery connections, wiggled all fuses, checked the 3 ground points i could see, tugged the alternator connector and its power feed, and lightly tugged the ECU harness connectors.

Not a hiccup the rest of the night and she has not experienced it yet today.

I HATE problems you cant replicate...It's a PITA.

NO check engine light or code stored in the ecu (already checked)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts