Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...thought I'd share this experience with you all.

I have a 2013 Elantra GLS that I've had for a month. It's got 1894 miles on it.

This morning I got up and went to get something out of the car. But when I hit the clicker to unlock the doors, nothing happened. I was shocked, to say the least but I thought maybe I'd left something pressing on a button on the clicker and the battery needed to be replaced (I've done that to my tv remotes more times than I can count). So I unlock the door with the key and get my phone charger out. It occurred to me to try to start the car...and it was dead as a doorknob. You can guess I was not happy. And couldn't figure out what happened. These new cars are hard to leave things on.

So I wait for one of my housemates to get up and we proceed to try jump starting it. Well, that was an experience. I've jump started cars before and never had any trouble but this was not easy. We hooked up the cables and nothing. We thought maybe we didn't ground the negative to the right spot and tried moving it. That gave us a spark and set the alarm/horn off. Which freaked me out because I thought maybe we fried something. At one point the horn wouldn't shut off and we had to disconnect the negative terminal to shut it off.

After several tries I finally called Roadside Assistance. Not the most helpful people. I explained and said we'd tried jump starting it so the lady said did I want a tow and I said I wanted something else to try jumping it then if it didn't start to tow it to the dealer. Well, the guy who showed up was in a van. He brought out a charger kit and went about jumping it. At first he was all confused because the battery didn't leave much room to hook up his cables. Then As soon as he touch the clamp to the negative terminal their was a spark and the alarm went off. He told me to try starting it anyway so I did. This time all my electrical in the car came back on...lights, radio, gas gauge was reading the gas level, etc. But still no start. The guy starts saying something's not right because the negative terminal was loose...which was likely our fault. So we were just like can't you tighten it? He says no, says he's already been here longer than he's supposed to and is done all he can do. He packs up, has me sign a paper and leaves.

Which left me with calling Roadside Assistance back and saying I need a tow. As we wait, we decide to try jumping it ourselves again, this time connecting the negative to the terminal instead of grounding (one of several suggestions from my dad who was a mechanic for 30 years). We also left it hooked up for 15 minutes hoping for it to work. Still no start.

At this point I'm frustrated and ticked off. It's a new car. I shouldn't be having problems!

The tow guy showed up...from a different service than the jump start guy. He came up, asked what was going on. He took my key and did some stuff....and next thing we knew, the car started.

Turns out, some kind of computer thing had to be reset. Which, according to the tow guy involved using the key to lock the door, then unlock the door. And voila...car will start again.

I literally just wanted to bang my head into a wall. I mean, seriously??? And why did this other guy not know this? I was beyond relieved though because I have to go to work tomorrow and I have to drive to client homes as part of my job.

I'm very grateful though that this tow guy knew the situation and knew just how to fix it. I gave him a tip for making my life ten times easier.

So I just wanted to share...and maybe it'll help someone else out if they have the same problem (I did a quick poke through this forum but didn't come across a similar experience...but I may have just not found the right topic).

Oh...and it turns out, somehow my dayrunners go left on. I have no idea how that happened. I have a suspicion but obviously I did something wrong that they got left on. My neighbor apparently rang our doorbell several times to try to tell me but it was very late and we were all apparently sound asleep.

Needless to say, I will be checking carefully from now on to make sure my lights are all off!

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Interesting. I had a similar issue last winter but was able to jump after a multiple tries and about 10 minutes. Went to dealer and they tested battery said no issues and it must have been my fault. All doors locked, lights off, nothing plugged in etc... No issues since then but I will remember the thing with key just in case.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
22,788 Posts
Good stuff, Jen. Enjoyed the read; enjoyed the solution as well...one I, too, will remember if needed in the future. Hopefully not. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, you're having all kinds of misfortune with your new car. Hope this is the last of it!
Yeah, tell me about it! And this after 4 years of no trouble with my little bitty Accent. It's been frustrating

And just for fun...a "before and after" pic :)

...that is if the attachment worked.

Attachments

·
22,788 Posts
Jen, the Accent looks great! At least in the picture it does. The Elantra's gonna be fine. Not to worry.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Wow I have never heard of that key trick before, wonder what happened. How is it possible to leave DRL on? Every light turns off after 20-30 seconds I thought? That is very weird what happened to your car. I too hope it's smooth sailing for you from now on :D

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I have a new car receiver that parks the cars (Elantra) in the lot, and locks it with remote. Then he proceeds to do his job and writes ticket for PDI, and attach a key to ticket...

Go out and open door, ALARM,, put key in ignition cylinder, turn it............ and ALARM, and no crank..

If the car gets locked with remote, either unlock it with remote to tell module it is a lawfull entry, or use key in door cylinder and rotate it 2x to unlock/cancel alarm and validate lawfull entry and start-up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow I have never heard of that key trick before, wonder what happened. How is it possible to leave DRL on? Every light turns off after 20-30 seconds I thought? That is very weird what happened to your car. I too hope it's smooth sailing for you from now on :D
I'm not quite sure how it happened. My Elantra has optional drl...I have settings for off, drl, headlights. The only thing I can tell you is that I had to use my headlights to drive home last night cuz it was dark. When I got home I turned the engine off then turned the headlights off but I turned them all the way and I keep the drl on so I turned the knob back to drl. I got out clicked to lock/alarm and went inside and somehow in that process my drl stayed on. I've been wondering if it had something to do with turning the drl on and turning everything off the. Back on with then engine off. Who knows. But I will definitely be checking from now on!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a new car receiver that parks the cars (Elantra) in the lot, and locks it with remote. Then he proceeds to do his job and writes ticket for PDI, and attach a key to ticket...

Go out and open door, ALARM,, put key in ignition cylinder, turn it............ and ALARM, and no crank..

If the car gets locked with remote, either unlock it with remote to tell module it is a lawfull entry, or use key in door cylinder and rotate it 2x to unlock/cancel alarm and validate lawfull entry and start-up.
Hmmm. So it sounds like your saying my car thought I was stealing it and that's why it wouldn't start.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Just walk outside and try it..

Lock with remote

Open door with key (1 twist), and open door,, ,ay have alarm,,, put key in ignition cylinder and try to to start,, probably wont crank.

Step out and put key in door, and rotate 2x to unlock again, alarm likely cease noise, and try ignition cylinder agian, likely crank and fire

·
22,788 Posts
Incredible! :thumbsup: X 2

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Huh. Interesting. I may try that tomorrow...it's late here now don't want to tick the neighbors off with the alarm. I did that enough today since it kept going off while trying to jump it today.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
When I got home I turned the engine off then turned the headlights off but I turned them all the way and I keep the drl on so I turned the knob back to drl. I got out clicked to lock/alarm and went inside and somehow in that process my drl stayed on.
From this story, we can conclude that this car will forgive you for anything you forgot to turn off, but not for something you turned on after shutting down the car.
Also I think that there is some logic in this car that involves the door ajar switch. It might make a difference if you turn on the lights before opening the door, but I'm not sure. On my previous Elantra, the lights would turn off immediately after opening the driver's door but I could flip the switch back and forth to turn them back on.

·
Registered
370 Posts
In the non-auto version, DRL and parking lights share the same position. When the hand brake is set, or the car is turned off, DRL shuts off and it's parking lights only. The parking lights turn off when the car is off AND you exit the car from the driver's side. But on occasions when you want to be out of the car with parking lights staying on, the procedure is: with the car OFF, turn it to DRL -- or if it's already on DRL, turn it off that setting and then back again.

So yes, the lesson is: when the car is OFF, leave the light switch where it was, or turn it all the way off. Never turn it to DRL unless you want the parking lights to stay on.

Until I trained myself to leave the lights position alone, I used the 'lock' button on the remote to be sure. But now I'm wondering if that worked with parking lights, or I had to go back and fix my mistake.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Check the manual page 4-62 under

Lighting
Battery Saver Function

It sounds like this is what you did that keep the lights on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry you had problems but glad you got it figured out.....Good information to know about the key. May come in handy in the future.Thanks for posting the information.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts