Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In short...
was looking at the 2020 Santa Fe limited (trade-up from Tucson). My experience with the local dealerships was not positive and has pushed me away from Hyundai. Looking at Toyota dealerships, the difference in their approach to customer care both before and after is so vastly difference that, along with my local Hyundai dealership negative experience, has pushed me away from Hyundai.

My experience (long)...
In the Beaverton/Portland area, we have 2 local dealerships nearby, with a 3rd not far away. Started with the Beaverton dealership (where I bought the Tucson 4 years ago...very bad experience in which high pressure sales tactics and closing took almost 6 hours to walk out of dealership with vehicle). Hoping that they changed, I reached out for pricing through the internet and went in too. Very shady practices (just like I remember). They add $500 advertising fees and other questionable fees onto their cars and inflate prices at last minute. Sales rep kept trying to show me an SEL instead of Limited, saying with the dealer add-ons, it was identical. I questioned this, but he repeatedly said no difference. Price was actually a bit higher than msrp of limited. When I zeroed in on features like lack of HUD and no panoramic roof, he finally relented on saying there may be few "small" differences. Beaverton's business practices are very questionable on their dealership/sales side. Their service side is ok (not great, but not negative either).

Dicks Hillsboro Hyundai is a bit better in sales side (no shady fees), but does not like to negotiate (why I originally purchased Tucson from Beaverton 4 years ago). I did my test drives through them. Last test drive (few days ago), the sales lade who did the test drive went through a lot of paperwork to write info down and get license scanned for the drive, asked almost no questions, and then entire drive, she said only a few words (2 sentences at best) and only when I asked a question. Otherwise, very quiet and acted like she didn't want to be there. Not a great way to try to sell a car. Friend bought from them before and said their service center is smaller than Beaverton's (4 years ago, remember their seating area for service was a bench in hallway).

For actual "attempted" purchase... I Negotiated between Gladstone (never visited, fully internet) and Doug's Hyundai (North of Seattle). Both very courteous and patient and willing to work with me on numbers. Kudos to both. Doug's (and Alex there) I tip my hat to as he was very helpful and great to negotiate with. Competitive and willing to work with me on numbers I was after.

Gladstone was also good too. Being local (30 min drive across town vs 4+ hour drive away), I continued to work with them. At one point we came to a number and I said "ok" and they were to send the details to me via email. A dealer trade was to be involved apparently for correct color/trim. Told I would get details shortly. Hour later nothing, so I called back (this was 23rd at noon). Rep apologized and said he would get it out asap. Another hour later, nothing. Emailed and he said he got busy, apologized and said he or someone else would get it out soon. Dec 24th at noon I text him, saying since no word assume no go and are back to negotiating stage (which was fine with me since other dealership was still working with me). I instead get a phone call from them saying they just drove up to pick up "my" car. WHAT?! He said he would have someone reach out to me. Nada (but it was holidays and they closed at 2pm, so understandable). 26th however got text message asking when I wanted to come in and sign. My response of course was "where was the email with the details?". Few more back and forths, to get the actual email and numbers I was wanting. However, at this point, my interest for Hyundai had been soured and I backed out at very last minute.

Hyundai dealerships (two closes to me and ones I often see driving by) are more reminiscent to me of used "billy bob's discount" car lot than a place that instills confidence. Just before backing out I decided to look at Toyota. Went to two dealerships (Beaverton Toyota and Royal Moore). Both dealerships were vastly different and upscale to Hyundai. Yes, maybe you pay extra for this, but the feeling and confidence both instilled was so much better. I am not a Toyota fan, even though I owned a 2003 highlander before and loved/miss it. But just the brand and the dealerships are so vastly different. Unlike Hyundai's dealers that use pen/paper to write your info down, take your drivers license to copy machine, and get car keys out of a cabinet, Toyota uses iPad and is all digital with key-boxes on each vehicle. Both reps at both dealerships were very knowledgeable, answered quested and discussed what I was looking for and were never pushy. It was an actual comfortable experience doing test drives (2020 Rav4 at one dealership, 2019 highlander at other).

So where does that leave me? I decided to back away from Hyundai. I just am not comfortable with them and their dealerships. Toyota may win me back...I may go somewhere else. Right now waiting on the 2020 highlander to see in person and possibly wait a year. This entire process of new vehicle started with the Tucson DCT settlement that is underway and a trade-in would return ~$7k back to me (based on settlement if it goes through), but decided the lack of respect and trust in Hyundai's dealerships and brand (as portrayed by their dealers) has be deciding that the money back isn't worth it. Had I been closer to Seattle and several of the dealerships up there (all get great/HIGH reviews), my opinion may be vastly different. But the Portland OR dealerships are a black mark on Hyundai's vest.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Soory to hear about the bad experience with hyundai, on a new or used vehicle its always important to have the dealer on your side of things many dealers forget who supports them in the long run" bottom line is its always the customer that keeps there doors open.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have dealt with van kesteren hyundai in chatham before in my area no complaints here always welcome me and are polite and friendly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar horrendous buying experience. However I was not going to allow a shady salesman keep me from getting what I wanted. I changed my mind many times during the process, I'm pretty sure they thought I was a time waster. They were rude and condescending when I didn't accept what they wanted me to believe was the gospel truth, going as far to insinuate that the car I wanted too expensive and beyond my budget (never judge a book by its cover!)

I eventually got a 2019 Sport, and changed my financing at the last moment. Until I signed on the line I was free to do as I pleased....and I did. I actually left the dealer in the middle of signing the paperwork because they wanted me to believe that my bank loan was not approved - even though I had the email confirming it was (but that's another story). I went to my bank and came back with a contact name at that branch who was the finance dept head - who miraculously was able to locate the funds.

I'm pretty much sure they hated me by the end of the process....the feeling was mutual, but I do love my car!

Then they sent me a survey.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi – I had experiences similar to Malathan and Londonerus.

Background:
  1. Purchased my first-ever Hyundai 2-3 weeks ago, a Kona.
  2. I hadn't even considered a Hyundai, but become interested with research. I didn’t consider Hyundai because I recalled a friend's substantial problems with a Hyundai some 30 yrs ago. Recognize that’s a bias, but it’s what I recalled. Took a good bit of research for me to overcome these concerns.
  3. I’ve purchased a wide variety of makes and recognize a premium marque treats customers differently and each dealership has its own behavior even within a marque.
  4. I didn’t find an ‘excellent’ Hyundai dealer until the very end – and I’d literally pivoted away from Hyundai and was looking at other makes. My thoughts were:
    • If the customer service is this bad when I’m buying, what will it be like for service, warranty work, support, etc.?
    • There are good alternatives.
Observations:
  1. The Hyundai dealership/buying experience is not good. I don’t expect a premium experience at this price point, but the uniformly mediocre-to-bad customer engagement across many dealers is surprising. My purchase was one of luck; let’s see if the service is good enough to warrant another purchase.
  2. Regarding the survey comment – I find this approach (not Londonerus’ comment) humorous. I received a survey, too. And that dealership received excellent marks because they did a great job. But they’re only asking about that single, consummated transaction – not the experience beyond that engagement/transaction. Hyundai’s sending surveys to those of us that purchased; by definition, they’ve experienced a success at some level - there’s incredible sample set bias. I’m sure they know this fact, but it seems rather circular and somewhat self-congratulatory.
  3. I emailed Hyundai’s Customer Service group and explained that I had a great experience at XXX dealership, but – if they were interested – I found the experience across many other Hyundai dealerships worthy of discussion. I didn’t receive an engaging response – don’t know if it’s just a standard response, a disinterest in feedback, recognition/acceptance that improvement’s required in this area or something else.
Regardless, I’m a first time Hyundai buyer and I like this Kona - I certainly hope I made a good decision!

Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I contacted Hyundai's Customer Care group following this post (sharing it) to make them aware that their dealerships are the weakest link that is hurting their brand. My reasoning is that until someone lets them know of these experiences, nothing will change. And I would like to see Hyundai get better. Response from Hyundai was basically "we are sorry of your experience...any issues are the relevant to the dealer and we recommend you contact and work with them...have a nice day". So apparently Hyundai's customer care doesn't care that their dealer network is hurting their brand and causing lost of sales and/or satisfaction... sad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Interesting thread
I've had very positive experience with our local Hyundai dealership service department, the staff been very pleasant and cost for repair service has been reasonable ( need new fender cover and new rear bumper )

But I've only had limited dealings with the sales department, I didn't have any issues when i test drove the new 2019 Accent and Veloster

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey, I appreciate that you guys had problems, but is it really the whole brand that's the cause of it? Yes Hyundai should care more about dealerships hurting their reputation, I will concede to you on that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts