Hyundai Forums banner

My Brand New Baby Scarred....

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  187528 
#1 ·
Got the windows on my Sonata tinted last Monday... they didn't do a very good job and after posting a video on tintdude to find out if I was being too picky,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL2K9ei8xHc

my suspicions were confirmed and I brought it back to have it fixed. They ended up replacing the film on all of the windows but left out the crappy looking cutout on the back window. I was pretty pleased with the re-do, but tonight as I was inspecting it, I noticed that I've got contamination bubbles even WORSE on the side windows and although the back window was done much better than before, they cut off a portion of my defog line!!! Not only that, but they left two razor blades in my backseat, a filthy, wet scouring pad and a mess on the rear deck.

Here are some pictures of the contamination and back window:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jng34c/TintJob2?feat=directlink

Some of the guys at tintdude say I should get my money back and have them pay to fix the back window, but I won't have time to get in till Monday, so yeah... comments are welcome. I'm just ****.

Oh, and I almost forgot, you'll see in the video that they damaged the rear corner panel by the right rear window. UGH!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah that sucks bro. They totally screwed you. I had a few minor bubbles/trash in my side windows. I took it back ~2 days later and they were small enough to use a hard card to straighten them out. Looks pretty good now. Ironically, the back glass was totally flawless, which surprised me. Also, the tint doesn't really stick to the dot matrix coating, but it should still look better than that. I'd be getting my money back for that and find a different shop.

#3 ·
They guy the dealer hired to do my tint did a fantastic job. There were a few bubbles and the dealer said they will go away after a day or so which they did. So your bubbles may go away but yeah the rest of the job was crap, maybe a new trainee who did it. But yeah I would get my money back and go someplace else. The worst thing when you complain to companies is some companies will bend over backwards and make sure everything is perfect and fixed right. Others will go out of their way to do a crapier job to get back at you. Looks like that's what these guys did on the 2nd install by not cleaning up their mess and damaging the defog lines. I think if you try to get them to do it a third time they might end up really damaging your car, take a refund and run.

For those of you tinting I woud reconmend doing a winshield band on the front. I know the Sonata has one now but its a very small one, when they do the band at a tint shop they curve it down the 2 sides and it's a larger band. Had mine done for no charge with the rest of the tint and it does wonders. you can drive into the sun and don't even need your sunglass or to flip down the visor, the band works like your wearing sunglasses.

#4 ·
QUOTE (Souks @ May 14 2010, 02:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322738
They guy the dealer hired to do my tint did a fantastic job. There were a few bubbles and the dealer said they will go away after a day or so which they did. So your bubbles may go away but yeah the rest of the job was crap, maybe a new trainee who did it. But yeah I would get my money back and go someplace else. The worst thing when you complain to companies is some companies will bend over backwards and make sure everything is perfect and fixed right. Others will go out of their way to do a crapier job to get back at you. Looks like that's what these guys did on the 2nd install by not cleaning up their mess and damaging the defog lines. I think if you try to get them to do it a third time they might end up really damaging your car, take a refund and run.

For those of you tinting I woud reconmend doing a winshield band on the front. I know the Sonata has one now but its a very small one, when they do the band at a tint shop they curve it down the 2 sides and it's a larger band. Had mine done for no charge with the rest of the tint and it does wonders. you can drive into the sun and don't even need your sunglass or to flip down the visor, the band works like your wearing sunglasses.

Do you have pictures of your tint job so we can see what it looks like?

#5 ·
UGGGGHHH!! When my wife came home she told me that my son cut himself on a razor blade the f***ers left in the backseat of our car!!! Apparently it was stuck in the crease between the back and seat of the back seat and when he crawled up into the back seat his elbow nicked it. These guys are getting a whole new a**hole torn into them.

Here's a picture... he likes to smile for the camera!
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/d36LQ...feat=directlink

#6 ·
Hi Proprioceptive,

I am planning on purchasing a limited once the turbo comes out and was hoping to tint the windows. Not sure I want to after seeing what you're going through. Sorry to here about your son. You stated a few times during the video that you are wondering if you are being "too picky." You need to wipe that though out of your head! This is your brand new Sonata that you paid 20K+ for, and plan on cruising around in style. These people have just destroyed your car! DUDE, walk back in there and tell them what they are going to do for you, not what can they do for you. My suggestions: 1. Only speak to the manager, or owner. 2. Let them know they are responsible for all damages (your son and the car). 3. They will be reimbursing you for all work they performed, AND all repair costs. 4. Also tell them you have spoken to your lawyer (even if you haven't). 5. DO NOT EVEN THINK OF LETTING THEM TOUCH YOUR CAR! 6. Find a very reputable business, and ask to see photos of their work.

You are definitely not being "too picky." Hope it all works out for you, and that beautiful car. Let us know.

Shawn

#7 ·
#8 ·
QUOTE (Proprioceptive @ May 14 2010, 08:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322792
UGGGGHHH!! When my wife came home she told me that my son cut himself on a razor blade the f***ers left in the backseat of our car!!! Apparently it was stuck in the crease between the back and seat of the back seat and when he crawled up into the back seat his elbow nicked it. These guys are getting a whole new a**hole torn into them.

Here's a picture... he likes to smile for the camera!
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/d36LQ...feat=directlink
Man, if that were my son, there would be one less tint shop in the world. I doubt the losers actually have anything to take, but I would for sure put them out of business. There's not an attorney on the planet that wouldn't take that on for free. At least you could get thier insurance to pay, assuming they actually have any. That is totally unacceptable. Did you get picture of the mess they left too?

#9 ·
QUOTE (Proprioceptive @ May 13 2010, 11:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322706
Got the windows on my Sonata tinted last Monday... they didn't do a very good job and after posting a video on tintdude to find out if I was being too picky,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL2K9ei8xHc

my suspicions were confirmed and I brought it back to have it fixed. They ended up replacing the film on all of the windows but left out the crappy looking cutout on the back window. I was pretty pleased with the re-do, but tonight as I was inspecting it, I noticed that I've got contamination bubbles even WORSE on the side windows and although the back window was done much better than before, they cut off a portion of my defog line!!! Not only that, but they left two razor blades in my backseat, a filthy, wet scouring pad and a mess on the rear deck.

Here are some pictures of the contamination and back window:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jng34c/TintJob2?feat=directlink

Some of the guys at tintdude say I should get my money back and have them pay to fix the back window, but I won't have time to get in till Monday, so yeah... comments are welcome. I'm just ****.

Oh, and I almost forgot, you'll see in the video that they damaged the rear corner panel by the right rear window. UGH!!!

This will cause some of the lines open circuit and not functioning anymore :(

#11 ·
im at work so i can't see the pics from the links.. I'm in a similar situation with the tint job on my wifes SE. Its been back 3 times total (not including the first intial time it was tinted)... so they have replaced the back window once and rear passager window twice. They drenched the headliner in the back portion removing the tint so it left a water stain. Took it back it to fix that and the rear passagner window again. The window came out more ****'d up but headliner was improved. Final time was 3 days ago and they had some special company come out and clean the entire headliner and re-do the rear passager window for th 3rd time. Im waiting to see how the headliner turns out but i can tell already there is a air bubble spot that wont come out on the r/p window. Its small but noticable but im really fed up. I was going to get my money back the 2nd time we went back but he said he would need to remove the tint which could cause even more water damage so i said just do the rear passanger and fix the headliner. It should be easy... but no this tine tech is retarted.Its the worst tint job i have every got on any of my cars.. This was at ZIEBART in dayton near WPAFB.

ohh..I forgot to mention I had to clean the interior out after each time cause they Never cleaned off the water/windex stains.. and they cut out the rear brake light!..

#14 ·
Well guys... I think the drama is over. I went in to the shop and actually talked with the tinter himself. After calmly explaining the situation he says he's going to get the owner since he feels he's done everything he can. The owner comes out and I explain everything to him as well and we walk out and I show him everything in person. At this point I can tell he's disappointed with the job and looks pretty defeated. At that point I told him that I would simply like to receive a refund and have the tint taken down and have the damage repaired. He responds with "Well... obviously you gave ushave a chance to fix it and there's obviously still some issues, so I think that's fair. We'll do what we need to in order to make everything right." He then recommended a few glass shops for a replacement rear glass and we agreed that it would be easiest to wait a couple weeks for the film to cure more before taking off since it would be safer to take it off then. So, when I get back from some field research I'll be doing the next couple weeks, we're going to make an appointment and get everything taken care of.

This morning I also ran by another local shop, which also charges the highest price for tinting, and had a look at some of their results and was quite pleased, so I may be giving them my service later. Apparently they take all of the panels out, take the rear deck out and tint in a controlled clean room. I can't say the same for this last place....

#15 ·
Luckily where I live there are about 5 tint shops highly recommended by everyone.3 of them do nothing but tint and 3m stuff so its not one of those one stop places like ziebart. So I was a little worried when the dealer said they could do it for pratically nothing, paid $895 for clear paint protection up front and on the mirrors along with full rust, paint, leather, and ubdercoating and the tint. Other shops wanted $350 for just tint or $1000 fir 3m plus tint. But turns out the tinter was very experienced and did the job as well as the professional shop, I'm sure he was from one of those pro shops. I'll get pics of the tint and the band when I get home. They actually curved mine down the sides of the windsheild instead of going straight across.

#17 ·
QUOTE (Souks @ May 15 2010, 12:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323040
pics of my tint along with the windshield sunshade band, rear brake light wasn't cut either.
When you said the eyebrow was curved you weren't joking. I have my other two vehicles curved more than my Sonata, but nothing like that. Kinda stands out for sure. :grin:

Around here we do it just to skirt around the 6" law. I believe it is worded to where it's measured at the center of the windshield or something like that.

#18 ·
QUOTE (Souks @ May 15 2010, 01:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323040
rear brake light wasn't cut either.
That's exactly the way I'll do mine. But I'll tint the front ones 35%, which is not obtrusive at all (even at night), but helps A LOT with the brutal TX sun. I'll do the rear 3 windows with 20% (rather than 35%, like before), which I've been doing since my last 3 new cars, due to my tinting guy doing the rear ones darker by mistake (he was about to remove them, but told them to leave them alone). That combination dramatically reduces heat inside the car (as well as heat-related interior wear), making A/C much more efficient. And with 35%, you can still be perfectly seen inside the car, and it's legal in all but 1 (I think) states. ALL premium SUVs come with 'privacy' glass in rear windows, so it shouldn't be an issue in any state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.