Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, an amazingly warm and beautiful day, I attempted to do a job that I've done dozens of times before (other brands).
The fronts went ok except the rotor retention screws were on bugger tight. On both rotors, one of them broke off. Not a big deal since they are not necessary.

Now the backs........
On my 04, the rear disc brake rotors have brake shoes on the inside (emergency). On the passenger side the rotor came off without any trouble. I looked at the setup and said "What, no star wheel?" Am I lucky they came off.
On the driver side, no such luck. These are not coming off. I noticed the rubber insert on the passanger side, so I CALLED TWO DEALERSHIPS.
They both said there was a star wheel. Two hours later and third other people looking at it, no wheel.

+The three rotors and pads are great, but the fourth is not all so great. HELP! Am I going crazy???

Short of taking it in for service (which I will), does anyone have an idea? Can it be, no wheel? Do I need to saw the rotor off? :innocent:

HELP me Please :liebe011:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Use flashlight ab look through the hole,, there is a spring whose coils set in the adjuster wheel notches and hide it from you.. it is at bottom... I just did arm set of rear of 4WD Santa Fe recently, and had to release the shoes to get the rotors off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sbr711...I understand exactly what you are talking about. I see the spring.
Forgive me for my ignorance, but how do I manipulate the spring or get at the wheel.

I you could be just bit more elemental for me, I would appreciate it.

Maybe because I just turned 51 yesterday, my mind is gone.
Thanks tons for your help

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The spring sittting in the notch acts as a detent/pawl... go in with flat blade screwdriver, and find a tooth on the wheel and "flip/rotate" the wheel, the spring will allow the wheel to rotate/click as it jump to next spot..

Spring be at like 3 o'clock, you going to come in and grab wheel with blade at 6 o'clock (down low) and flip the wheel up to loosen I think...

Get rotor replaced, go in and flip wheel down till rotor not turn, then typically 1 click back will allow rotor to rotate.... done.

If you really felt like it, you could cut rotor off... we have had to do it with rotor that were seriously rusted where rust build up will not allow rotor to come off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many Thanks to sbr711 for his help

I researched a diagram from a posting in 2008 showing the santa fe starwheel (typical) below the spring at 6:00. The odd thing was that when I went back at it the next day, I found it assembled above the spring. I was so focused at finding it in the typical location, I didn't think of this.
All four are now on, and I have a nice smooth brake again. The rotors were so warped that trying to stop was like the Flintstones.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just installed rear rotors and pads on mine. With the old rotors the parking brake worked perfectly. With the new rotors the parking brake barely grabs? Why the difference? Do the parking brake shoes have an auto adjuster or must these be adjusted manually. I got the centric premium rotors.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Those parking brakes are quite an invention. They keep adjusting, wearing, adjusting, wearing, etc, you get the picture? On another note, did you replace the calipers? Brake fluid?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thanks for the info. The calipers were in very good condition so I cleaned, greased the pins and installed with the wagner thermoquiet pads. In fact all of the brake hardware was in very good condition. I did the brake fluid flush last year so I am still good for a while longer. Probably do it again in the spring. Now I have to remove the tires and do the manual adjustment of the parking brake per sbr711's instructions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts