Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year my 2013 Accent SE hatchback was totaled. I repaired it and drove it for a year. This week I was stopped at a red light and got rear ended and I am not injured accept a little whiplash.

Autobody shop looked at it but did not want to waste their time on doing an estimate. They said the insurance company will total it.

Next week the insurance company will evaluate the damage.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Sorry to hear. If they total the car make sure you get fair market value. My daughter totaled hers and the ins. co. low balled her. She sent them about a dozen comps that were higher and they upped the settlement to a more fair price.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I find a small car is a magnet for aggression from other drivers. I don't know if it is also a magnet for collision with distracted drivers, as compared to a larger car; but I have been hit like you were at a red light (sitting there motionless for about 2 minutes already, at least 150 yds clear visibility behind me) and my mother's Accent was totaled in a t-bone collision at an intersection by a teenager blowing thru a red light. It's discouraging. Also discouraging: no more Hyundai Accent hatchbacks in N. America, no Mazda 2s, and the party is likewise over for Ford Fiestas. Apparently Americans just refuse to buy small, fuel efficient cars, and further demonstrate their anti-compact animus by ramming them on the road when they see them. I hope the price of gas goes to the F*ing Moon.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car.
Getting hit in the rear doesn't guarantee you will get anything from the insurance company
My brother in law was driving in the snow
Stopped for a red light. Road was very slippery.
So his car skid a little a turned just a little.
He was sitting there for a few seconds and the car behind him hit his car.
The insurance company used the excuse that because the car in front was turned sideways (it was not)
That it had taken away the option to avoid hitting the car in front.
Real BS. They refused to pay.
We are talking used cars about ten or eleven years old
So the pay out would have been cheap
Nope. Insurance company will screw you.
And they keep saying insurance fraud is a crime.
Hypocrites.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The person that hit me, her insurance company called me and told me that they will take responsibility for the accident.
They will inspect the car sometime this week. They had big rebates last week so I bought a new Hyundai Elantra GT.
Got $2500 rebate to sell 2018 models before 2019's hit the lot. Got $1000 for being a veteran and $1676 off (internet price discount).
That's over $5000 off a car that listed for $23345. I wanted to buy another Accent hatchback, but as you know no more hatchbacks for USA.

I was planning on giving my car to my nephew next year. If they fix it he will get it early. If they total car, I will repair it again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts