Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
The car seems to reset to default AC settings, MPG tracking, etc. This is the third time it's done it.

Not sure what's going on, does anyone else have a clue?
Mine (2022 hybrid) has done this a couple of times since I got it in April, but the problem hasn't happened in the last 2 months (did I just curse myself??). I had mentioned it to the dealer and he told me to come back if it ever happens again, that there is a small battery which might need replacing (sounds like BS to me)

·
Registered
2023 Elantra Hybrid Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Mine (2022 hybrid) has done this a couple of times since I got it in April, but the problem hasn't happened in the last 2 months (did I just curse myself??). I had mentioned it to the dealer and he told me to come back if it ever happens again, that there is a small battery which might need replacing (sounds like BS to me)
I agree, that sounds mighty strange to have a separate battery to hold the data, but it if keeps up I'll bring it to the dealer to have it looked at. {edit} I realize it also loses the console setting. It forgets I picked the MPH for the center and indeed forgets I even have it as a choice. Definitely not right. {/edit}

·
Registered
63 Posts
Unfortunately, this seems to be 'normal' behaviour if you leave the car sitting for about a day or two. It happens all the time with my 2022 Hybrid. Centre instrument cluster will reset to the default screen, some settings will be lost (but not all, which is strange), and your climate control will be off.

For my settings, I've noticed things like number of times the light blinks to be remembered, but something like the wireless charging pad option to reset (I keep it off, since I don't have a phone capable of wireless charging, but the setting always goes back to 'on' when my car settings reset).

·
Registered
2022 Elantra Limited Hybrid
231 Posts
I also have it occasionally happen on my 2022. It's not due to sitting. I can go to work with everything normal, but when I go home, it has reset a few things. Sometimes it will happen twice in a week. So far, it has been several months.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This last reset had the AC off and at 72 when I hit the fan button, but returned to 74 by itself. ??? I lost my center console choice and it was not selected as part of my cycle of items. But it did remember I was playing the media device and the song it was on, and where in the song it was stopped. It zeroed out my MPG (which is the most annoying actually as I'd like to know what my cumulative MPG is on this new car.) As far as I can tell, that's all that reset. I wonder if a flash of the system will stop these issues?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Limited Hybrid
9 Posts
The car seems to reset to default AC settings, MPG tracking, etc. This is the third time it's done it.

Not sure what's going on, does anyone else have a clue?
My 2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited has done this multiple times. At first, it seemed like it was only after sitting a week on vacation. But now it has happened overnight several times. The most annoying part is the mpg reset, but I guess the AC default temp and the center driver display (which I normally set to highway speed) also defaults to something else.

I complained to the dealer at the time it was only happening after a week shutdown and they claimed it was normal.
Now that it is happening more often I am inclined to bring it up again. I worry that the system is resetting as though the battery is being disconnected, but I am not sure if that would produce the same symptoms. I am hoping raising the awareness of the issue here on this forum will get a response from Hyundai.

·
Registered
2022 Elantra Limited Hybrid
231 Posts
From what I know, the Hyundai hybrids have a Li-ion battery for 12V and it somehow is charged from the HV pack or charging system. There is probably no traditional alternator. I wonder if it sometimes is allowed to drain down a bit too much before it decides to charge it back up, causing some loss of settings.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited has done this multiple times. At first, it seemed like it was only after sitting a week on vacation. But now it has happened overnight several times. The most annoying part is the mpg reset, but I guess the AC default temp and the center driver display (which I normally set to highway speed) also defaults to something else.

I complained to the dealer at the time it was only happening after a week shutdown and they claimed it was normal.
Now that it is happening more often I am inclined to bring it up again. I worry that the system is resetting as though the battery is being disconnected, but I am not sure if that would produce the same symptoms. I am hoping raising the awareness of the issue here on this forum will get a response from Hyundai.
It appears to be a defect in newer hybrids. As Andy Ross mentions above, perhaps the 12V system is getting insufficiently charged. The car does complain rather quickly about a drained battery in accessory mode telling me to start the car. I'm talking about less than a minute. That could be fixed with an update to the software. It's a significant annoyance that eliminates the value of overall MPG average. Perhaps a plan as mine doesn't get near 50. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Limited Hybrid
9 Posts
From what I know, the Hyundai hybrids have a Li-ion battery for 12V and it somehow is charged from the HV pack or charging system. There is probably no traditional alternator. I wonder if it sometimes is allowed to drain down a bit too much before it decides to charge it back up, causing some loss of settings.
The dashboard state of charge indicator never goes below 1/4 or above 3/4. The manual kind of implies that it protects the system from going below 12v. But I rarely see it down that low even when parking, but I suppose I could keep an eye on it at shutdown to see if that correlates to the zeroing of the MPG.

·
Registered
63 Posts
From what I understand in the hybrid cars, there is no traditional alternator to start the engine. The 12V LiPo accessory battery is used to control and start the car, which is why if you let it drain (e.g. leave cabin lights on, leave radio playing, etc), then you won't be able to unlock your power locks nor start your car unless you use the interior 12V jump start button. Once this is pressed, it jumps the 12V accessory batter from the main hybrid battery.

My understanding is that the dashboard state of charge indicator is for the hybrid drive battery, so it makes sense it never goes below 1/4 or above 3/4. I don't think there is any indicator for the accessory battery.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From what I understand in the hybrid cars, there is no traditional alternator to start the engine. The 12V LiPo accessory battery is used to control and start the car, which is why if you let it drain (e.g. leave cabin lights on, leave radio playing, etc), then you won't be able to unlock your power locks nor start your car unless you use the interior 12V jump start button. Once this is pressed, it jumps the 12V accessory batter from the main hybrid battery.

My understanding is that the dashboard state of charge indicator is for the hybrid drive battery, so it makes sense it never goes below 1/4 or above 3/4. I don't think there is any indicator for the accessory battery.
I don't think this relates to the issue of the system losing its state. In no case where the state was lost have I left the lights on, the radio playing, or used any accessory feature. The system was shut down for the night, started up the next day and the system state was lost. This seems to be an issue many of the Hyundai hybrids have in common. It may have to do with the 12 V system, but why a really minor trickle of power for maintaining a status would be enough to drain the 12 V system is either a major design flaw or Hyundai has a system flaw in how they maintain the state. It does not seem to be an easily repeatable error as it occurs randomly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't think this relates to the issue of the system losing its state. In no case where the state was lost have I left the lights on, the radio playing, or used any accessory feature. The system was shut down for the night, started up the next day and the system state was lost. This seems to be an issue many of the Hyundai hybrids have in common. It may have to do with the 12 V system, but why a really minor trickle of power for maintaining a status would be enough to drain the 12 V system is either a major design flaw or Hyundai has a system flaw in how they maintain the state. It does not seem to be an easily repeatable error as it occurs randomly.
I understand what you're saying; there's probably a minor trickle loss somewhere, but it seems as if the battery protection voltage threshold is set too high. I think (some minor) parasitic loss is unavoidable, but it seems like a flaw in how/when the battery protection kicks in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: This keeps happening, it's a minor annoyance, but an annoyance. If it happens to your hybrid, I'm asking you to report it to Hyundai so they fix it. I have done so and there seems to be no fix at the moment.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What would you suggest as a means of "reporting it to Hyundai"? For a different issue (Android Auto problem), my dealer sent me on a wild goose chase.
Contact Us | MyHyundai (hyundaiusa.com)

There is probably a similar owner's link in Canada. I used this before and got a response in 24 hours. I also called the dealer, but as you said...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts