Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gone from a 2008 sonata which used to get around 650km per tank to my 2018 Tuscon Premium which gets much less (and 80% of it is highway miles). Any suggestions on how to improve it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
my 2018 Tucson 2.0Ltr GDi 6sp Auto gets good fuel mileage

Hi Daviid & others,

Your post is lacking details, but I have just confirmed (at the fuel pump) my urban fuel usage at 11.4 km/Ltr...... which is better than my previous car's highway mileage of 10km/Ltr.... (it was a 4sp 2.4Ltr Nissan Ti U13 sedan..... it's urban cycle was around 5-6km/Ltr so I installed LPG to make it economical).

My urban driving includes stop start/feeder roads/10km of highway and some hilly sections..... a pretty good average real world test. I filled early as the fuel price was at the cheaper end of the cycle (30c/Ltr price rise due soon) with 446kms from 'above full' on the gauge, down to just above the 1/4 mark = 39Ltrs of 91 Aussie non ethanol to fill it back up to the same 'above full' mark...... bit of a struggle to get the last 5 Ltrs in past that awkward airbubble in the tank.....

On a previous tank of fuel, highway traffic was flowing at 90kph and my economy readout was 15.3k/Ltr - instead of the usual 13.something (for 100kph cruising)......

I've yet to do a proper long run interstate, (been recovering from illness and getting back into driving....), but I am encouraged by my urban economy and expect some impressive kms out of the smallish 60Ltr tank....... keep in mind you won't have all 60Ltrs available - from my limited experience on the Tucson 2.0L Active (only 5,000kms), the tank volume is 60L, with probably 55L useable (assuming you trickle 5Ltrs of fuel past the first click off/airbubble until the gauge reads above 'F')...... I think there is 5-7-10?Ltrs in the reserve range (fuel light) but I haven't proven that yet.

So you should have 630kms reliable range from 55Ltrs in the tank (over 700kms on a country run?).... pity Hyundai didn't fit a 70Ltr tank...... but it has a good enough range as is.

I get along quite briskly, and give the throttle a good prod merging onto the highway at 100kph.... but I drive aware and don't waste fuel accelerating at red lights or fighting for space with aggressive bullies.... Tucson is a 1600kg wagon after all, but the 6sp auto is a gem! (I don't have roof racks or tow bar so mine is the lightest model).

I think your problem is most likely not getting a truly full tank of fuel into what is probably a smaller tank than your previous car(?).... otherwise maybe you are just enjoying the extra performance from the GDi auto?

Cheers from Aus

Ps Gotta say I don't agree with some opinions about lack of performance from the 2.0Ltr GDi...... it's fine, I think some just like to bragg - the 6sp auto is the jewel in the crown and the new 2019 diesel gets an 8 sp auto instead of the quirky DCT transmission....... lesson learn't by the big 'H'....... always improving......

·
Registered
33 Posts
Fuel octane? What kind of oil, is it dealer oil? When is the last time you cleaned the injectors? Just by adding fuel cleaner in the gas tank? Check tire pressure.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i get 800 km's to a tank on my 2.0 diesel.

these cars as most big awd cars need a diesel motor to get good mpg..here in europe i would never ever buy a petrol suv

·
Registered
33 Posts
i get 800 km's to a tank on my 2.0 diesel.

these cars as most big awd cars need a diesel motor to get good mpg..here in europe i would never ever buy a petrol suv
Mine is front wheel drive.... and the 1.6T has a pretty good torque curve where it pretty much maxes out at 1,500RPMS all the way to redline, as the HP goes up progressively to about max at 4.5k-5.5k.

But it's only like 195ft lbs torque....compared to yours 400??.... you actually got me interested/curious about the diesel lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
At Last A Long Country Drive

:grin2:

I had an 1100km drive last weekend out into the west of NSW (Inverell for Aussie readers).

Tucson 2 ltr GDi petrol with 6sp auto July 2017 build.........(now at 7,500kms) and using Aus 95 Octane non ethanol and tyres at 36psi cold. It has Castrol Edge 5w30 oil (dealer service spec) and is stock standard with no roof racks.

Very quiet in the cabin....only coarse chip bitumen rumble on road works otherwise a very very quiet car :clap:.

Fuel economy....... very impressed, it returned above 15km/ltr on motorways (100/110 kph), dropping to 14's in hilly 100kph areas and amazingly, while following slow vintage motorcyces around the quiet highways north of Inverell, 17.5k/ltr!! (yes that is correct... i'm a fuel nerd:rolleyes:.... so that is 50 UK/Au mpg in old school - or 41 US mpg!!.... as an absolute BEST average, with a more likely 13k/ltr =36 UKmpg =30 US mpg, real urban average).

Ok so it's highly unlikely most will ever go that slow.... but my pump average for that 230km run at 70-90kph speeds was 17.2k/ltr due to some town kms dragging the on highway readout down a bit.

I have seen 15k/ltr on the readout around home when in 80-90kph motorway controlled speed zones before..... so if anyone is still complaining about poor economy from a petrol GDi engine..... try easing off and looking ahead :laugh:.

I don't drive slow, neither do I waste energy..... brisk take off's from lights using the fast changing auto to torque the car away as quick as other traffic, though sometimes I will jump away to get clear of difficult drivers if I need to change lanes for a turn etc..... and I slow to time traffic lights rather than race to stop hard and wait. Makes a huge difference for a 1600kg auto, and the higher spec models are 1800kgs dead weight without passengers or any luggage..... so a change in driving attitude will give $ savings at no cost to trip times :wink:.

Oh yeah.... the 2ltr did struggle a bit from lack of torque in the hills, so I had to 'drive' it by anticipating the next incline and either giving the throttle a prod or pulling it into 'manual' and dropping down a ratio...... not hard and it kept me engaged in driving...... :grin2: (>:D it sure had plenty of go when overtaking trucks..... yessiree, no lack of power there :grin2:).

It likes to be refilled at a servo with a nose down parking pad.... this helps get a true full load of fuel past the airbubble in the tank filler system. I currently have 600kms on the trip with a DTE of 100 and a gauge sitting on 1/8th. I'll wait till the low fuel light comes on - hoping the Easter high fuel price might ease a little before I refuel :laugh:.

All in all - one very very good car at a budget price. So quiet I leave the radio on low volume settings and arrive very refreshed..... also so easy to get in and out of unlike a sedan with seemingly race car ergo's :laugh:.

I'll give it 9/10....... if I were doing more kms per year, maybe the diesel 8sp would be worth it, but for my usage, the non turbo petrol 2ltr is perfect.

PS Nearly forgot..... it steers beautifully and handles well..... maybe, just maybe the damping rates might be a little on the soft side but I was impressed with the real world comfort and handling as it came from the factory.

(Brakes are fine too...... though I don't tow anything or carry a load of people etc.......:beer:).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Neither does my 2019 Tucson I get 16 mpg city but I only drive 10 miles a day and I knew it before I bought it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
mine either

My 2019 Tucson gets 16 mpg city but thats ok I knew it before I purchased it and I only drive 10 miles a day thats it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts