Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you may remember my story from last year...Hyundai bought my 2016 PHEV back from me under the Lemon Law.

Fast forward to today when my phone gets a message telling me that my charging has completed... In Georgia... I look up the address, and it's a car dealership.

A search of my VIN shows the car advertised as "USED - Clear title." Not by one dealer, but by a whole slew of dealers around Atlanta. It seems my old car has been making the rounds down there for some time, and today someone finally charged it up for the first time in over a year.

I would have thought that was illegal, but I'm not an attorney.

EDIT: It seems this is common practice... buyer beware, and always google the VIN of the vehicle you are buying:
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/automobiles/26LEMON.html

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
No expert here, but clean title means no liens attached to it. Nor listed as salvage, rebuilt, etc.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
At least in New Jersey, your "etc." includes Lemon.

Apparently NJ didn't process it as a lemon. In GA anything other than a clean title gets a salvage title. My BIL just purchased a "salvage" F150 King Ranch.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
You may have brought forth action under the "lemon law" but I'm not sure there is any "lemon title". Hyundai processed it as a "buy back". Hence they bought it back from you and can do what they want evidently.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Currently, though, only six states — Connecticut, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico and New York

So that list is all cars since 2006 that have been bought back by NJ dealers.

Pretty easy to check your VIN these days. It's cars from non Lemon Law states you have to worry about.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I'm guessing your car is the Black one at Southtowne Hyundai of Newnan? It looks like both of their Plug-In Hybrids were lemons. On the Black car, for some reason, they don't link to the CarFax report; I'm going to hope it is just an oversight on their part. On the White Plug-In Hybrid it does show the CarFax, and that car is actually reported as a lemon -- though it was sold and registered in California initially.

This is why getting a CarFax report is so important when buying a used car.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm guessing your car is the Black one at Southtowne Hyundai of Newnan? It looks like both of their Plug-In Hybrids were lemons. On the Black car, for some reason, they don't link to the CarFax report; I'm going to hope it is just an oversight on their part. On the White Plug-In Hybrid it does show the CarFax, and that car is actually reported as a lemon -- though it was sold and registered in California initially.

This is why getting a CarFax report is so important when buying a used car.
I bought my 2016 HSH SE used with 20K miles (in early 2017 and for sure the CarFax was mandatory to make sure everything was on the up and up. Mine was a previous rental and came to CA from out of state. Got a good deal and been super happy with it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm guessing your car is the Black one at Southtowne Hyundai of Newnan?
Nope. Here's my VIN: KMHE54L28GA021304 - you can see it showing up all around Georgia. As well as on the NJ list of lemons.

It was charged up at Jim Ellis Hyundai, on Peachtree in Atlanta

To be perfectly clear. This car *was* repaired, and I think whoever buys it will be exceedingly happy with it. I'm inclined to offer them $15,000 for it myself since I know the entire history. I was just surprised to learn that cars can (and are) effectively laundered of their "lemon" status quite often and easily.

·
Registered
123 Posts
As usual, Hyundai screwed up my lemon buy back (2016 Sonata PHEV). That was in January ‘18. This April, CA DMV sent me a license plate renewal letter. And this June, got a recall letter on it from Hyundai. I have no idea who owns it now. I feel sorry for the second retail owner, if they are clueless to the issues that caused it to spend almost 70 days in warranty service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts