Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having a bad experience with the 2013 Santa Fe GLS 7psgr model's headlights not being bright enough at night?

I've noticed that while driving at night the lighting is awful! It's almost as if the headlights point down and there is no side lighting or light that will reach far or high enough for me to see. I constantly have to drive with high beams on (while there are no oncoming cars coming my direction of course). I am thinking about replacing my headlights. Does anyone have any suggestions for a brighter perhaps LED looking light bulb? I have no idea where to even begin looking for a replacement.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
The headlights on my SF were aimed too low when I got the vehicle. I talked with a service rep at my nearest Hyundai dealer and she said the aim is not adjustable.

Well, they were adjustable for me (at least up and down). The adjustment screws are readily accessible, and the height can be easily changed with either a Phillips screwdriver or a socket wrench.

The aiming procedures are detailed on the Hyundai service website. To make a long story short, the procedure is to set the low beam cutoff height at 35" when the vehicle is 25' (or 24.9' to be precise) away from an aiming target. The vehicle must be level with the target for this to work properly.

There appears to be no way to change the left-right direction of the lights (or at least I couldn't find it). However, the left-right directions of my lights were okay.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I adjusted mine up from the factory setting. They originally had a very low sharp cutoff. Just set them up to where you are comfortable with them.

·
Registered
749 Posts
yes. that was an issue I have made adjustments vertically and horizontally. I think the reflector is set in too far. and the light beam is being cut off by the square portion of the housing.

svt, those are h11's. we need h11b

·
Registered
918 Posts
Besides just changing the bulbs, you'll also have to adjust the beam as the others have mentioned. Just changing out headlights themselves won't solve your problem.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I have HIDs so, cannot compare. However, in my previous vehicle, a 09 Highlander, I swapped my OEM with GE Nighthawk Platinum bulbs. They were around 4700 - 5000K...nice bright white. However, in order to get the increased "brightness", these after market bulbs tend to burn hotter, which in turn, reduces longevity....significantly. I was lucky to get 12 months out of a bulb. I would recommend staying away from any bulbs that have a coating on the entire bulb. You may get a more bluish tone to simulate HID (which it doesn't anyway) but you get significantly reduced light output.

If you're looking for an excellent bulb that gives you a whiter light than the standard 3000-3500K of your OEM, then consider the Philips X-treme, presuming you can find in H11. Like the Nighthawk, it has a small strip of blue at the top to change the colour temp (make it more white), but still gives great output. I have never used it myself, but have heard good things about this bulb, not only about their output, but also longevity.

EDIT: I presume it goes without saying that you need to be careful about ebay....lots of fakes and knock offs that don't have the same quality.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all so much. This information was very helpful. It looks like I'll have to adjust the lights to a better position. I'm so glad to know this can be fixed. This could have potentially been a deal breaker for the car.
You all are awesome!

Have a great weekend!

-LadyT

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
The headlights suck, I've had my vehicle to the dealer twice to fix and they still suck, can't see a dam thing at night, so disappointed!!!!!!!!!
Do you have HID or Halogen? If halogen, have you tried changing out the bulb as suggested by others here?

Many have also converted to HID by buying kits and installing themselves. Lot's of info on this in the SF Sport thread if interested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have HID in ours and I am not overly impressed especially in the rain. I hated our Acadia Denali but I will say the headlights in that truck performed a lot better than our Santa Fe's. The headlights are probably my biggest grip about this vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts