Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still a work in progress. I want to mention that I pulled some useful information from the OP in this thread though I did a lot of the things differently: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-m...-amplifier-install-setup-step-step-guide.html

These were taken on the 3rd day of ownership after the tint was done. 20% all around.. and that first sticker in the windshield...

Next up are the headlights. I know some of you don't believe in using HIDs for the fog lamps but I do and did. It's past the point of debate now that it's already done ;). Before, during and after shots

Kits all in 6000k, 35 watt (DDMtuning.com) with relay harnesses:

Next up is the stereo install. I had an issue with the first amp. One, it pretty much sucked and two, it gave up the ghost. I needed more watts for the sub anyway. Open the images, there are a lot of notes in them via MS Paint:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

The gear (save the amp)

The amp I ended up using. I love this amp (remote bass knob is still in route)

I decided to do things differently than what I have seen here with the tweeter assemblies.

Front passenger door. Since I wanted to use separates and the window rail is just on the inside of the speaker hole, I decided to cut through the mounting flange on the inner door panel:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Rear doors are pretty straight forward

I always solder. Cant stand the idea of having to go back and do a job twice...

Power cable

And off to the wire harnesses at the factory amp. There are a couple of things to note before you proceed if you plan on using this information
1. I added information to these diagrams the OP had in the thread I posted at top
2. This is a Limited 2013 elantra with tech package. I do not know if this is the same for other models that are not limited versions.
3. If you plan on doing this 6-channel install, and here is the IMPORTANT part, make sure you use the tweeter outputs from the factory amp as your sub inputs. I know this sounds weird but let me explain. Both the front and back door mid-range speakers are controlled by the factory head units fader, while the tweeters are non-fading. Meaning? The door mids can be adjusted with the fader on the factory install. No matter if you have just the rear speakers playing, the tweeters will still play. This is why you want to low pass these into your sub channel on the new amp. Questions? ask below.

I have expanded this image with the wire colors on both ends of the harness (door plugs / amp plug because they change colors on the way to the speakers)

Factory amp plugs (2)

Vasectomy

Soldered and heat shrink

Factory amp to line converter connected

After market amp leads installed to factory wiring

Mounting location I chose for the line converter

Some after thoughts

Sub, cap and amp (sorry for the blur)

Rear spoiler installed (Hyundai OEM dealer installed)

Reflector mod. I went the hard way and hot knifed mine open to install the board then hot knifed them closed. Good lord, get the completed ones if you can.. what a pain in the arse..

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Pics from today. I had an issue with the fogs flickering even though I have the relay harness. I added a 4700mf @ 35 volt cap (radio shack) at the relay socket on the harness to cure it (+12 from the factory harness to ground)

I spent a lot of prep time on this post, I hope it helps someone. Next up? Something to anchor the sub box. I was thinking of a cargo net. Works well in the Grand Cherokee. We'll see. I also found some nice gun metal with chrome ring rims I am considering.

More later.

·
22,793 Posts
I can't believe you would have the nerve to park that partially-assembled jet in front of the Boeing building without putting on its wings! ;) Magnificent job, my friend. Truly, magnificent. You do us forum members proud!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great mods. I love the way you did the audio much cleaner speaker install IMO and the crossover placement was great. I'm going to use your method when I put an Alpine head with KTP booster amp in my '13 GLS. I'll match that to Polk DXI6500 components with DXI650 coax in the rear.

I still can't figure out why Crutchfield lists the headunit as "does not fit" rather than modified fit.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Ad for audio - looks good. I wonder how it sounds. I am not sure if those speakers you cam simply put them into original "sockets". Sound distribution will be way different and you may end up with significant distortion taking into account size of the speakers (power). But again, can't be said until you start playing...

However, HID all around... another kiddo-mod. I honestly very dislike the idea of putting HID into every reflector you have. And fogs, too.
To show you the problem, have a friend to drive your car towards you at night, preferably when raining. I am sure you would be driving with the fogs on. You will see that you can't really see... you are blinded.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Very nice, wish us 2011 Elantra owners could put HID in the DRL/high beam spot!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Very nice good job a lot of work.
Is capacitor fix flickering?
How HID hi beam work with DRL?
The cap seems to have solved my fog light flickering.

you drive 24/7 with low beams on :D
Not true

I would hate to drive in front of you at night, lol.

Any headlight cutoff pictures ?
You want a pic with the lights off? lol.. Maybe I misunderstood that question...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: Headlight cutoff pics...he means we'd like to see the light dispersal pattern with the lights on, say against a wall or garage door.

Nice work with the speakers/wiring, I have the exact same Infinitys on order to be put in. Can I ask how you have the bass/treble/mid setup on the head unit, and what kind of gain/boost you're running with the sub? Also, for the tweeters, did you do the +3 db boost or leave them flat?

Thanks very much for the work you put into your write-up and pics, folks like you are what make this forum truly successful.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ahh. Ok. I'll see about getting those taken in the next couple days.

Speakers first.
Both the coaxial and seperate crossovers are set to +3db

Head is set
Bass +4 from center
Mid center
Treble +2 from center

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for sharing your settings, I'll try them out as a baseline. I'm still having trouble to get the stock 'premium' system where I'd like to be, so hoping the new speakers and a sub will get me right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very nice, loved how u explained everything, step by step!!! Loved the rear spoiler, thinking to mount one just like it. Thanks for a great & perfect job!!!!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Headlight cutoff pics...he means we'd like to see the light dispersal pattern with the lights on, say against a wall or garage door.

Nice work with the speakers/wiring, I have the exact same Infinitys on order to be put in. Can I ask how you have the bass/treble/mid setup on the head unit, and what kind of gain/boost you're running with the sub? Also, for the tweeters, did you do the +3 db boost or leave them flat?

Thanks very much for the work you put into your write-up and pics, folks like you are what make this forum truly successful.

I did a little more tweaking with gains and I now have them set here. The bass will change again since tomorrow the remote bass knob will be here from JBL and I'll be using that with a lower setting on the head unit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts