Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Sonata N-Line
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Thought I'd make a post about all the easy and cheap mods I've added to my Sonata, specifically highlighting the MagSafe one in particular.

I have an iPhone 12 and was running into the issue of my phone slipping off the built-in wireless charger while driving. It was also a bit annoying to position right in the first place. Makes sense as the charger is probably built for a huge variety of phones, many much larger than mine.

The rubber pad above the wireless charger is easily removable and I was able to place a strong neodymium magnet underneath that immediately locks on the MagSafe magnets in my iPhone 12. It works very well and doesn't appear to interfere with the NFC smart key either. Hopefully it continues to work when the iPhones are updated with Digital Key capabilities as well.

Here's the link to the magnet I used: 1.98US $ |For iPhone 12Pro Max 12 Mini 11 Xs Max Xr 8Plus X Wireless Charging Magnet Mobile Phone Case Strong Magnetic Magsafe Accessory|Phone Holders & Stands| - AliExpress

Note that this is a strong magnet by itself, not just a simple metal ring with magnetic properties like all of the listings on Amazon. Took about 2 and a half weeks to get to me from China. Also I would be cautious with placing your wallet near this magnet. It's decently strong and may demagnetize some cards.

I also tried wiring in an Apple MagSafe charger alongside a 30w PD 12 volt car adapter. It fit underneath the rubber pad totally fine but I found the magnet to be a little weaker than I wanted and heat seemed to rapidly build up with the rubber in-between the charger and the phone. This likely throttled the charging and I didn't see true 15W speeds. I'm not sure if this is because cooling fan built into the Hyundai wireless charger is only turned on when the built-in Qi charging is activated. With this solution you also lose the reminder the car gives you if you leave your phone in the car.

Some Other Cheap and Easy Add-ons:
I'm a frugal dude so these are the cheapest options I could find without sacrificing quality. You can find the AliExpress stuff on Amazon for a higher price if you don't feel like waiting ~2-3 weeks for shipping:

Less specific things:

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
550 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
carplay2air then leave the phone in your pocket
Carlinkit 2.0 is a slightly superior product and the one I linked in my post.

Good ones!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey all,
Thought I'd make a post about all the easy and cheap mods I've added to my Sonata, specifically highlighting the MagSafe one in particular.

I have an iPhone 12 and was running into the issue of my phone slipping off the built-in wireless charger while driving. It was also a bit annoying to position right in the first place. Makes sense as the charger is probably built for a huge variety of phones, many much larger than mine.

The rubber pad above the wireless charger is easily removable and I was able to place a strong neodymium magnet underneath that immediately locks on the MagSafe magnets in my iPhone 12. It works very well and doesn't appear to interfere with the NFC smart key either. Hopefully it continues to work when the iPhones are updated with Digital Key capabilities as well.

Here's the link to the magnet I used: 1.98US $ |For iPhone 12Pro Max 12 Mini 11 Xs Max Xr 8Plus X Wireless Charging Magnet Mobile Phone Case Strong Magnetic Magsafe Accessory|Phone Holders & Stands| - AliExpress

Note that this is a strong magnet by itself, not just a simple metal ring with magnetic properties like all of the listings on Amazon. Took about 2 and a half weeks to get to me from China. Also I would be cautious with placing your wallet near this magnet. It's decently strong and may demagnetize some cards.

I also tried wiring in an Apple MagSafe charger alongside a 30w PD 12 volt car adapter. It fit underneath the rubber pad totally fine but I found the magnet to be a little weaker than I wanted and heat seemed to rapidly build up with the rubber in-between the charger and the phone. This likely throttled the charging and I didn't see true 15W speeds. I'm not sure if this is because cooling fan built into the Hyundai wireless charger is only turned on when the built-in Qi charging is activated. With this solution you also lose the reminder the car gives you if you leave your phone in the car.

Some Other Cheap and Easy Add-ons:
I'm a frugal dude so these are the cheapest options I could find without sacrificing quality. You can find the AliExpress stuff on Amazon for a higher price if you don't feel like waiting ~2-3 weeks for shipping:

Less specific things:
Wonder if the center console tray fits a 2021? I asked, if so I will order that

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
550 Posts
Wonder if the center console tray fits a 2021? I asked, if so I will order that
I ordered the YEE PIN 2020 2021 Sonata Armrest Organizer Center Console Organizer Tray Sonata Limited Armrest Tray Armrest Box Secondary Storage Tray Compatible with 2020 2021 Sonata DN8 (Black) and it fits my 2021 N Line console perfectly.

Reactions: markayash

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anybody want to do a write-up on the rear light replacement? I found some info on removing the tail lights but is that necessary or can you replace the bulb without entirely removing the tail light assembly?

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited (Stormy Sea)
553 Posts
Anybody want to do a write-up on the rear light replacement? I found some info on removing the tail lights but is that necessary or can you replace the bulb without entirely removing the tail light assembly?
No need to remove the combination lamp. Just unpin and pull back the inner trunk side carpet and it's there.

·
Registered
852 Posts
reverse lamps are a piece of cake, HOWEVER, you get REAL close to the muffler on the passenger side, be sure to do it while the car is cool. you simply remove the push pins holding the tire liner to access the rear bulb assembly. I col do both now in less than 5 minutes..

·
Registered
30 Posts
reverse lamps are a piece of cake, HOWEVER, you get REAL close to the muffler on the passenger side, be sure to do it while the car is cool. you simply remove the push pins holding the tire liner to access the rear bulb assembly. I col do both now in less than 5 minutes..
According to the Hyundai Service Manual you can't access it from there on the N-line. Only way is to remove the whole bumper and I would have to replace all the push clips because OCD. Oh well, guess I'll keep those stock and return the LED's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got the strike covers and although they would look good, they don't stay on no matter how hard I press to get them to lock in. I think the thickness is off. Unfortunate, but they're trash.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
550 Posts
I got the strike covers and although they would look good, they don't stay on no matter how hard I press to get them to lock in. I think the thickness is off. Unfortunate, but they're trash.
I had the same problem. I applied some Permatex clear RTV silicone adhesive and taped them down with Duck Tape overnight and they are flush and firmly attached.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In my younger days, I once experienced the sticker shock of a lost car key fob... It was a Saab Aero Convertible, the cost was $400+... I told the parts guy that's too much money I just won't loose the other one.. He said yeah and if you do it will cost you $1200 for the full reprogram of new fob(s)...

So now Ive used to clip a TILE tracker to my fobs, but decided to try an Apple Air Tag.
(its actually dual purpose on the clip I can detach my key and stick the tag in my kids pocket at that park or when he wonders around Best Buy or the nudie bar.

Pleasantly surprised with the quality fob cover off AliExpress... I choose the blue to match the car color, and perhaps stand out instead of black. Shipped pretty fast...

Fob link

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
According to the Hyundai Service Manual you can't access it from there on the N-line. Only way is to remove the whole bumper and I would have to replace all the push clips because OCD. Oh well, guess I'll keep those stock and return the LED's.
Definitely don't need to do anything like that. I replaced the reverse lights on my '21 N-Line. Just need to crawl under the car, unclip the wiring from the bulb socket, and the the bulb assembly rotates right out. No protective covers at all since the N-Line has dual exhausts. The models with only one exhaust have a protective cover over one side. I could do it in 2 min now. Took me 10 min the first time because I crawled under and didn't realize you have to unclip the wiring first in order for the bulb to rotate out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.