Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
towards the end of winter / early spring my car started cutting out while I was driving at any speed. I though it was the fuel filter so I replaced that. it seemed to go away but a couple weeks later it would only do it at high rpms. its a manual so when it would happen it was as if the gas pedal stopped working until I pushed the clutch in, then it would rev up again. I got new injectors for it but when I put the new ones in, the car ran terribly so I put the old ones back in. The check engine light is on but it has been on for a long time. My exhaust was completely broke before the o2 sensor but I got that fixed. I also put new spark plugs in.

Right now it stutters at low rpms, has basically no horsepower, gets around 75 extra miles on the tank when I use unleaded plus, and still cuts out when I accelerate hard.

Any suggestions on what I can do myself before I have to bring it in and have them charge me too much money to not fix it? I could maybe sell the thing for 700 bucks right now so I am on the verge of just buying a new car unless I can get this thing back to being reliable. Thank You.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Have you cleaned the throttle body? Ask someone to read the code first, then check if any vacuum leak, or clog from valves, all connectors and terminals clean. Don't buy aftermarket sensors or injectors they suck

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,308 Posts
The check engine light is on but it has been on for a long time. My exhaust was completely broke before the o2 sensor but I got that fixed.
Why did you continue to drive with the check light on? It's telling there is a problem and by ignoring it your just making things worse, probably resulting in a more costly repair.

With the exhaust broken you probably have a trouble code telling you the air fuel ratio is too lean,
which causes the engine computer to inject too much fuel,
and that over fueling has probably now damaged the catalytic converter,
which is now causing excessive back pressure in the exhaust system,
and the excessive back pressure is causing your poor engine performance.

Just a complete guess of course, but this is the kind of thing that happens when you ignore the check light. What would have been a cheap, simple repair ends up with you needing to replace an expensive catalytic converter.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
If you have an up stream O2 sensor then remove it and then see if the engine will run better
If it does then there is a clog in the exhaust ... may be the cat but who knows for sure???

Be sure to check or scan the diagnostic trouble codes
It should give you an idea of what the trouble may be.

Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts