Hyundai Forums banner

Mud Guard Experiences

4K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Ismail M. 
#1 · (Edited)
I'd like experiences of individuals with mud guards on their Sonata. I would be buying the OEM guards. My concern is that they may scratch the clear coat and hold grime, snow, water and potentially create a breeding ground for rust. I have them on my Tucson, but they wrap on the plastic side trim, so I have no worries with that.

#2 ·
I have the factory mud guards on our Elantra. I like the fit and they are held in place tightly so I'm not concerned about rubbing. The protection they offer is worth the risk of trapping salt which will wash away in a car wash. They don't make guards that fit our 11 Sonata Hybrid which has a slightly different body contour around the wheel wells. I bought ours online. I've found the cargo net useful if you are going to order accessories.

#5 ·
I have the factory mud guards on my ‘16. They didn’t come with the car so I bought them separate but I love them. This is the second winter with them and so far no worries. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I have the factory mud guards on my ‘16. They didn’t come with the car so I bought them separate but I love them. This is the second winter with them and so far no worries. Hope this helps!
That's exactly what I was I hoping for in a response. I am going to go ahead and order them. I'll take off the fronts every few car washes and wax under there.

That’s the site im looking at too. It’s $30 for only one set of either fronts OR backs, not both.
This site, https://parts.johnsonhyundai.com/, has the front and back for $32.50 total. Shipping is about $11. I will probably order from this place.

#7 ·
Reactions: bobsingh
#11 ·
@Midwest Mud guards totally worth it. Dealership quoted me CAD $60+ for front and rear but i found a great price on eBay. $34.00 CAD. ships from Korea and gets in 2 weeks.
I am happy with these OEM mud guards, it can catch lot of snow if your winter temperature is switching + and - often. i live in Saskatchewan and we get lots of snow and cold af lol brrrr. i have not encountered any big issue with these mudflaps, only thing i careful about drive slow over big speed bumps in some of parking lots.. that's it.

Highly recommend getting mud guards. it keeps my white car cleaner.

Genuine OEM Mud Guards Mud Flaps Splash Guard for 2015 2016 2017 HYUNDAI SONATA | eBay

#18 ·
I have a brand new extra oem set still in factory bags for the 2015-17 for sale if you are in South Ontario (I paid $35CAD but I'm willing to let them go for lower)

I bought the first set from Ebay in June-July. Waited for the first set to come for almost 2 months...they didn't come, I forgot about them and paypal/ebay didn't give me a refund. Ended up buying another set, put those on my car and guess what 3 months later the original set from Korea arrived at my door.

They are low profile....which I want. I need them because I drive in the rural area where I get salt and mud spray all year round. They aren't off road mudflaps but they do help. My car still gets covered in salt on the side, but that's from getting splashed on the highway. No big of a mudflap can stop that.

#19 ·
We had snow and freezing rain yesterday. They used plenty of salt. I have mud guards on the Elantra and non on the Sonata. I noticed that the snow hadn't stuck to my guards when I got home, but the wife's car had snow packed into the lower part of the wheel wells. We don't drive the same roads but they are similar. Today I noticed that the sides of the Elantra had considerably less salt residue on the sides compared to the Sonata. So although the guards are small, they do seem effective.

#20 ·
I received the Mud Guards I ordered from the E Bay vendor . They arrived direct from Korea and are Factory Hyundai parts for the 2015-2017 Sonata. They mount to the existing factory screws and look like a quick and easy install with only a screwdriver.

I opened the 2 for the drivers side front and rear and just taped them into place to see if I would like them and have decided Im not going to install them, i live in So Calif and the need for guards is not a high priority, I was thinking of them for the look.

Anyway Ill post them for sale and want ed to get the info out . They are new never mounted, in Hyundai package will sell for $ 26.00 USPS mailed to anywhere in mainland USA. PM if interested

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.