Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel compelled to write this post, now that I know it 1) actually does affect the car, and 2) turns off...

While parked:
1) Hit Trip until you get to the vehicle settings screen, where it prompts you to hold trip down.
2) Cycle through using the trip button until item 5 - ECO mode - hit Reset to enter the menu
3) Cycle down to "Off"
4) Exit all menus

....you may now begin the hoonage. :00000732:

·
Registered
80 Posts
And I learn new word today...
hoonage "Aggressively flogging a car, but in a manner that stops just short of reckless."

LOL

Seriously, power is completely restricted in ECO mode on manual cars and just trying to drive normally I was almost redlining the car.
Anyone with manual should turn ECO mode off and try it out. And report back!

For the record I burn less gas in non ECO mode while actually not hating my car!

PS Z750 is cool bike :) Almost as cool as Tiger 1050...

·
Registered
28 Posts
^ your fuel economy is better with it off? Is it because you are hitting gas more to compensate for eco mode and
to push car in order to make it go?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, I was pretty much flooring the throttle and downshifting to third sometimes to change lanes and merge on highway.
I am not aggressive driver and I never needed to do that on my Elantra 2003.
It was really disappointing to get in GT after my old car, until I disabled the damned thing off.

Currently I am on about 7.7l and if I have long highway stretches that goes down to 6.5l. I think that is reasonable.

Shifting suggestions were joke anyway. I do not know how anyone can drive like that. I always thought that lugging the engine was bad...

Anyway, all it takes is one drive to try once ECO setting is found and disabled...
Maybe I am just crazy but this is one thing that changed the way I feel about GT and I actually do not regret buying it as I almost did...

^ your fuel economy is better with it off? Is it because you are hitting gas more to compensate for eco mode and
to push car in order to make it go?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll put it this way: I *love* riding my motorcycle...the rush of it is absoultely fantastic...now that I've turned ECO off, I actually stop and have to make a decision on which to take...my bike, or the car! With ECO off, the GT is a such a fun little machine..and I can see where the fuel savings would come in - if you dont have to push as hard to get going, you won't push as hard..I was constantly flooring it to get moving into traffic - that isn't necessary anymore.

Turn it off.... sooooo good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did this last tank. Best mileage ever… 7.3l average combined. Best I got before that was 7.6. And it's more fun to drive.. can actually throw it around a bit now!

·
Registered
80 Posts
AWESOME!!!! :))

We need more converts!!!

Anyone else with manual still suffering the ECO mode lethargy?
Come to the dark side and save gas too :)

I did this last tank. Best mileage ever… 7.3l average combined. Best I got before that was 7.6. And it's more fun to drive.. can actually throw it around a bit now!

·
Registered
160 Posts
AWESOME!!!! :))

We need more converts!!!

Anyone else with manual still suffering the ECO mode lethargy?
Come to the dark side and save gas too :)
Well I took Eco off today after reading the thread and wow what a difference, I am glad I did. I always thought it was just part of being used to driving a v6 (which I still do) and that it was all part of having a much smaller engine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sooo....im not trying to poo-poo on anyones parade i agree the car DEFINITELY feels better with eco off but...... i posted this on the dislikes thread.....

Yes i noticed the difference as well and so i wondered about the fuel econ difference....it is very noticable. I drive a 100 mile round trip commute daily. I did 2 tanks with eco on and averaged 36.8 mpg at an average if 65-70mph. This was roughly 3 trips to and from for each tank. Then i turned the eco off and did the same thing...2 tanks commuting to and from work....guess what...34.4mpg. I believe the eco mode does the same in the manual as the auto...reduces throttle response and cuts horsepower between 7-10%. I do agree the car feels better and is less gutless with eco off but im usually trying to hyper-mileage my car so i leave it on. I have my miata for fun driving as it get horrible mileage no matter how i drive it!!

Just thought i would re-post this here too.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's all a matter of fuel economy taste I guess! Hyper-miling isn't something you just do now and then...its a way of driving, so you'd want every advantage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I must be the odd one out here as I didn't notice one iota of difference when the eco shift indicator was turned off. Well, one difference - the car doesn't recommend a gear now. Other than that nothing.

To further that, this is from Hyundai's own literature on the Elantra GT:

"6-SPEED TRANSMISSION

The 6-speed manual transmission includes an Ecoshift indicator that identifies ideal shifting points to help you save fuel. The 6-speed automatic features SHIFTRONIC® manual shift mode and Active ECO System which modifies engine and transmission control to help improve fuel economy when turned on."

Link: Performance | Elantra GT 2013 | Hyundai Auto Canada

I don't see anything there or even in the car manual that suggests that the manual transmissions have a mode that changes the mapping. Isn't the whole point of a manual to be able to shift when you want and be able to save fuel that way?

·
Registered
171 Posts
placebo effect
n.
The beneficial effect in a patient following a particular treatment that arises from the patient's expectations concerning the treatment rather than from the treatment itself.

;)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I must be the odd one out here as I didn't notice one iota of difference when the eco shift indicator was turned off. Well, one difference - the car doesn't recommend a gear now. Other than that nothing.

To further that, this is from Hyundai's own literature on the Elantra GT:

"6-SPEED TRANSMISSION

The 6-speed manual transmission includes an Ecoshift indicator that identifies ideal shifting points to help you save fuel. The 6-speed automatic features SHIFTRONIC® manual shift mode and Active ECO System which modifies engine and transmission control to help improve fuel economy when turned on."

Link: Performance | Elantra GT 2013 | Hyundai Auto Canada

I don't see anything there or even in the car manual that suggests that the manual transmissions have a mode that changes the mapping. Isn't the whole point of a manual to be able to shift when you want and be able to save fuel that way?
You are correct. It's nothing more than a visual reference to shift into a higher gear, silly really. It does nothing to increase or decrease performance or gas mileage. I didnt want to rain on their parade, but it was getting a bit out of hand, too bad it doesn't display the actual gear you're in, that would be useful. I've had motorcycles that did that, and I liked. cheers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I turned off eco mode and do notice a difference. Not in performance but in throttle response. When i had eco mode on I had trouble getting the car moving from 1st gear cuz i couldn't hear the car accelerating and had trouble feeling the car cuz of delay in throttle. With it turned off i can go back to feeling the gas pedal and clutch rather than trying to hear engine sound.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
placebo effect
n.
The beneficial effect in a patient following a particular treatment that arises from the patient's expectations concerning the treatment rather than from the treatment itself.

;)
placebo or not, I enjoy my car much more now! I really do think that the response is different, all around..especially in 3rd.

·
Registered
8 Posts
According to my manual (u.s.a. version) the only thing that turning the eco off does is disable the stupid numbers that tell you when to shift. I Don't look at them anyway.

·
Registered
80 Posts
And that is the precise reason why I drove with ECO for so long.
But that is just not correct. Try and see.... It is free...

For placebo comments group, you have to try spirited driving.
That means pushing accelerator past first inch on the way down :p

According to my manual (u.s.a. version) the only thing that turning the eco off does is disable the stupid numbers that tell you when to shift. I Don't look at them anyway.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts