Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are everyones MPG's holding up?

Going off the combined average and 16.4 gallon tank, the Tucson should be going about 440 miles on a tank. However, I am not getting close to that, despite most of my driving on the highway and the car telling me that I'm averaging over 30MPG on each individual drive, I'm getting about 385 miles on a tank. I guess I will switch it back over in the computer to go average on the tank and not per drive, wish I could keep it on drive and then it tell me the average fuel economy in "Trip A" and "Trip B" instead of Avg speed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have been tracking a couple of Hyundai's (Veloster Turbo) and a Kia Cadenza. I have logged every fill up and both are over stating the mileage my 3 mpg on every fill up. How much gas are you putting in on your fill up? Estimate the number of miles that was still in your tank. I took delivery of my Tucson Limited last Saturday and have not filled up yet. I intend to log all fill ups in the future. Looking at the on board computer, it looks like I may be averaging middle 30's on combination mileage, not much city. I drive for economy. So far it's a great little SUV but doesn't seem to be that small.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have been tracking a couple of Hyundai's (Veloster Turbo) and a Kia Cadenza. I have logged every fill up and both are over stating the mileage my 3 mpg on every fill up. How much gas are you putting in on your fill up? Estimate the number of miles that was still in your tank. I took delivery of my Tucson Limited last Saturday and have not filled up yet. I intend to log all fill ups in the future. Looking at the on board computer, it looks like I may be averaging middle 30's on combination mileage, not much city. I drive for economy. So far it's a great little SUV but doesn't seem to be that small.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
On my 2016 Eco I get between 420-430 per tank is shows on fill up 440+ but I have not ran it that low. The lowest I got was 19 miles left. I get about 34-34.5 avg, most of my driving is highway on flat ground in Tx

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On my 2016 Eco I get between 420-430 per tank is shows on fill up 440+ but I have not ran it that low. The lowest I got was 19 miles left. I get about 34-34.5 avg, most of my driving is highway on flat ground in Tx
So even if you left a gallon in the thank when you filled up, if you are avg 34 on the entire tank not just per drive that would put you at over 500 miles per tank. So numbers are not adding up, anyone know how these trip computer work? Hyundai claims it has a 16.4 gallon tank. So far about halfway through my tank and I have avg fuel economy set to entire tank, not per drive I'm getting 28.3 (a lot of idling on this tank with the wife waiting in the car). Which means i should get around 464 miles for the tank, but trip computer is telling me right now that I'll get about 375 miles. Thats a huge difference!

·
Registered
19 Posts
So even if you left a gallon in the thank when you filled up, if you are avg 34 on the entire tank not just per drive that would put you at over 500 miles per tank. So numbers are not adding up, anyone know how these trip computer work? Hyundai claims it has a 16.4 gallon tank. So far about halfway through my tank and I have avg fuel economy set to entire tank, not per drive I'm getting 28.3 (a lot of idling on this tank with the wife waiting in the car). Which means i should get around 464 miles for the tank, but trip computer is telling me right now that I'll get about 375 miles. Thats a huge difference!
Not sure how the trip computers work but I think they are off on the remaining mileage. I checked my gas receipt and I filled up with 13.4 gallons but it showed I had only 19 miles left. This would fall in line with the 34 mpg on 13.4 gallons. But curious to know do I still have 3 gallons of gas in the tank? I will fill up again today and check again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
After my last fill up I had 418 miles and used 12.6 gallons to fill up. The computer showed 40+ miles range left. I just don't understand why there is so much gas left in tank when empty. I mean from above I would have almost 4 gallons left according to the 16.4 rating, and all I can figure is there is a big reserve or buffer after the range hits zero.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Entire set of threads of similar wonderments in the pre-'16 model year cars forum:
Tucson/ix35 LM Models - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

Some observations: the MPG readout is a ballpark at best. IIRC, the info is based on a current gasoline consumption, via an algorithm in the FMS. It is cumulative to some degree, but not exact by any measure, imo.

Few cars of any brand are dead nuts on, tank by tank, but tend to be 'close/closer' over many tanks.

Best method of determining one's mpg is doing tank to tank fills and simple arithmetic.

Dunno if '16 Tucks allow for true cumulative past one tank, as all pre-'16 Tucsons automatically reset the mpg 'readout' every time tank is refilled. Not exactly handy...

Add in that few posters here report ever obtaining that previous mythical '31', and most report mid 20s tops.
My 50Cts.
GL, mD

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my last tank the trip computer said the range was 33 miles, I still had 3 gallons left in the tank and my fuel light was not on yet. The Rogue's trip computer is much closer to accuracy, yet I still feel that they both use the same company to produce the trip computer as most of the graphics are nearly identical.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just filled up for the second time and had full control of the gas statistics. I drove 386 miles and filled up with 11.75 Gal. of gas.

So my manual calculation was 32.85 mpg.

The onboard computer registered 33.9 mpg.

It appears the computer is only about 1 mpg off. Not bad, all my other cars average about 3 mpg high.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had 434 miles on my last tank with 12.7 to fill up, which is 33.98 MPG and the computer showed 35.5 for the tank avg. which is off by about 1.5 mpg. The range left I think is still way off as with over 3.5 gallons left it showed a range of 42 left.

Overall I'm very happy with the economy of our new Tucson

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think they are leaving a big safety margin for the remaining miles in the tank. Don't think they want you run out of gas. I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
on my test drive of the Ltd AWD the sales person showed me to locations two reset the mpg ave. It was confusing so I am going to go back and ask again. I love the SUV and will be buying one soon.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
on my test drive of the Ltd AWD the sales person showed me to locations two reset the mpg ave. It was confusing so I am going to go back and ask again. I love the SUV and will be buying one soon.
It's in the settings menu, I switched mine to reset when I fill the tank rather than on ignition like I had it. Tank will avg over the whole tank rather than just per drive.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Recently went on a road trip approx. 134 miles each way, speeds between 55 and 65 mph, mpg on the read out was 31.4 and 31.7, I haven't done the manual calculations..No cruise control .. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts