Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know from my scangage that the statr up in winter eats alot of gas. I want to fix that by warming the coolant before i start the car. Block heater i think is just for easy start. I need more that that. Did you guys use dipstick heater or coolant ciculation heater? Dipstick is easier to install. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
a circ heater is going to be far more effective. however there are 2 things to consider:

- i live maybe 4 or 5 hours drive away from you. i feel your pain. when any car is cold, your FE is going to suck hard. the block heater helps but only so much. what i'm trying to say is you've already got a heater - don't expect another to change anything.

- if you're running 2 heaters, you might start tripping the breaker for the plug you're on. you have a max of 15A on a standard 120V line, or 1800W. canadian electrical code states that you can only load that up to 80% of its capacity - so 1500W. its not unheard of to have a 1500W block heater....i know my little circ heater i have without a pump in it is a 1500W.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Circ heater you have. Are you happy with it? How easy is it to install? Could not find a good source for installation with photos. Thanks
I dont have a block heater instal yet.i definetely need something

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
yeah it will help for sure. it wasn't a hard install...but i did have to do some half-assed fabrication to make a T-fitting for the main coolant line. got the heater from crappy tire, that and some 5/8" heater hose.

only downside was that i found the coolant lines were rather long, so i was losing a lot of heat through them. home depot sells some metallic pipe insulation.....you can figure this out.

i might be nice and take some pics, but you might have to hassle me. PM me on monday.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
oh one last thing - anything beyond 2 hours (maybe 3 in really nasty weather) is a waste. you've already reached temp. use a timer to avoid wasting electricity. or don't, keep me employed :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts