Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Sonata 2.0T . When I turn my car on it seems like my miles till empty reading on my dash is going up and down 1 digit at a time till it registers. But it’s always different every time I turn car on. I’ll turn on it will say 54 miles till empty. I’ll turn off and on again then it will say 128 miles till empty. It just started doing this. Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

·
Registered
195 Posts
It does sound like the beginnings of a failed fuel level sensor. Watch your fuel gauge when this happens and see if it goes up or down a tick. It may be too small a difference at the moment to make a difference on the gas gauge, but it sounds like a failing sensor in any case. Or as joegr mentioned, perhaps parking on a steep incline, wherein which the computer would read the tank differently by the time you got back in and turned it on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joegr and others thanks for the info. Do you think it’s bad to drive like this. Or it doesn’t reallly matter. I’ll just be getting screwed up reading?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Joegr and others thanks for the info. Do you think it’s bad to drive like this. Or it doesn’t reallly matter. I’ll just be getting screwed up reading?
If it's just the sensor, I would figure it shouldn't hurt anything, unless it's a telltale of another issue. I would, however, keep it topped off on fuel in the interim so you don't get an unpleasant surprise. :)

Do a little searching around the forum for this issue and see what you come up with. Here's one link about a similar issue, and there are some others around here as well. Based on that, I'd give disconnecting the battery for a few minutes a shot and see if it makes any positive impact.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mobilesonata thanks for the info and the link. I’ll look around and see if I can fix it. But from the videos I just watched. I’ll take to the dealership and hope I don’t get robbed. But once again thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Check the incline you may be parking on from a left/right and not so much a forward/backward incline. It seems if the driver side is lower, the sensor reads HIGHER amount of fuel vs if the passenger side is down, it reads LOWER amount of fuel. I noticed this when playing with Torque app. Using the Fuel from ECM PID, making right banked turns, the level increased and left turns, it decreased.

Also, the Distance to empty is based on your average MPG. So if you are sometimes driving very Eco Friendly, it can increase the range and if you are not, then it can decrease the range. I wouldn't Imagine at only a few gallons of fuel(assuming you only have 2-5 gallons based on your distance to empty values) your range wouldn't fluctuate that much unless you never fill the tank completely.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
If the fuel level indicator is working OK you probably have an issue with the software that calculates the miles to empty and that will not hurn anything. Just ignore it.

Reactions: forgeinaz
1 - 9 of 9 Posts