Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anybody experience unusually low MPG calculation on their 2018 Sonata?
I have a new limited and I get about 14-15 MPG on Average on City Driving
and City+Highway combined about 20-23 MPG...
Do you think this is unusually low as in having possible issues?

·
Registered
313 Posts
My 2015 and 2018 (both 2.0T) get identical.

17 to 22 around the town and clounty. (City driving is hard to compare with various drivers due to the amount of stop lights and how heavy a lead foot you have).

33 to 35 on open road on long trip.

Don't forget, this is with the 2.0T engine. 2015 has 6 Speed transmission. 2018 has 8 Speed transmission.

·
Registered
144 Posts
15 2.4 at around a combined 6.3 L / 100 KM.......figure that out....cheers p .)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the 2018 Limited 2.4. My mileage is significantly higher than yours. Most of my driving is on 35-45 MPH suburban streets. I get 24-26 MPG. I've made two longer trips this month, some interstate and some curvy hilly roads. Mileage was 34 MPG on one and 32 MPG on the other.

Time to see the dealer for you, I think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the 2018 Limited 2.4. My mileage is significantly higher than yours. Most of my driving is on 35-45 MPH suburban streets. I get 24-26 MPG. I've made two longer trips this month, some interstate and some curvy hilly roads. Mileage was 34 MPG on one and 32 MPG on the other.

Time to see the dealer for you, I think.
Wow, I guess you are right.
Do you have a Hybrid or regular? That seems really great MPG wise...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2015 Sonata 2.0T Limited. After 3 years of driving here is what I noticed:

Flat Freeway Driving:
- 60 MPH = 36 MPG
- 61-70 MPH = 32 MPG
- 71-80 MPH = 30 MPG
- 81+ MPH = As low as 26MPG

City Driving:
- Accelerating very slowly = 24 MPG
- Accelerating normally = 21 MPG
- Accelerating like I stole it = 16 MPG

Since the 2.0T has all its torque at low RPMs, it feels very quick. However, it also means that the car can drink lots of fuel if you tend to accelerate very quickly.

When I first purchased the car, I also got horrible MPG simply because I was just accelerating too quickly and I simply didn't notice it since the car is very stable and quiet. Now, I just leave the car in ECO mode in city driving and slowly accelerate.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Most MPG issues are caused by driving habits. Dealer can't teach someone to drive better.

To the thread starter.... what engine? what city? how many miles?

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,598 Posts
2017 Sport 2.0T, my daily commute is about 135 miles R/T with 80% of that freeway at 70-85 mph and the rest busy city streets with stop lights and traffic every few blocks I avg 28 mpg. On longer trips like LA to Vegas (400 miles rt all freeway) at 75 with cruise control 30 mpg. Ive also found if driving 65 or less on freeways will easily get 30-33 mpg and a heavy foot in city with stops and hard acceleration as low as 18 mpg.

l

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sorry for the scatterbrain post...

For me Local driving below 40 MPH is a bit fuel heavy for this these cars.

I get my best MPGs in 4th gear between 1.7K and 2.1K RPMs locally.

On my commute into work today the computer shows 35MPG, but on the way home it can drop to 29MPG is there are people driving below below 40 or hitting the lights.

On the Highway I average around 38MPGs typically. I go between 60 and 75 MPH depending on traffic. When I'm on the highway, A/C usage doesn't really factor.

Locally, I see a 2 MPG hit with A/C on.

I have the 2.4 2016 Limited. I kind of wish for the weight savings of the standard sun roof (or none), but only sometimes lol :p

This all about driving style and how much rolling you let the car do when approaching.

Some other factors, what tires are you using? What is your tire pressure? I do 35PSI all around and still on the stock tires. Hows the tread on yours?

What gas are you using? Why type of oil? How does your air intake filter look?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Most MPG issues are caused by driving habits. Dealer can't teach someone to drive better.

To the thread starter.... what engine? what city? how many miles?
Engine: 2.4L Engine with 4 Cylinder
City: D.C.
Miles: ~800 miles (bought it last month)

I don't accelerate hard or anything though
Also in the city, drive it in Eco mode and when I hit the highway (and when I have to accelerate, I switch to Sport mode)
Since the car is relatively new, stock tires, treads should be good, tire pressure is also ~32-34 for all tires.
Gas... I use Unleaded 87

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,598 Posts
Engine: 2.4L Engine with 4 Cylinder
City: D.C.
Miles: ~800 miles (bought it last month)

I don't accelerate hard or anything though
Also in the city, drive it in Eco mode and when I hit the highway (and when I have to accelerate, I switch to Sport mode)
Since the car is relatively new, stock tires, treads should be good, tire pressure is also ~32-34 for all tires.
Gas... I use Unleaded 87
Leave it in the default "normal"mode or even "sport" when in the city. Eco changes the transmission shift points and tends to make the engine "lug" (run at lower RPM than optimal) and with the city driving will get you worse economy.
Try Eco for cruising on the freeway or just leave it in normal node

Im pretty sure your mileage will improve.

I rarely if ever use Eco, almost always in Sport mode and as long as you are not driving aggressively I fnd MPG to be about the same as in normal mode and the benefit is if I need to pass or accelerate the car is at its most responsive.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I once had a 1992 Toyota Camry (forget if it was a 2.0 or 2.2). Took a trip from WNY to El Paso. Got 34 mpg round trip. Great car for the era. Not counting the driving around the Texas Hill Country, (Bandera, Medina, Kerrvile, Vanderpool, Luckenback) I probably averaged 36.

That Camry (and my two Sonatas) was the most trouble free car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Oh only 800 miles on the car.... Let's see how the MPGs are after you get that factory break-in oil out. Sorry, missed that.

I also agree that ECO isn't to great for MPGs really, but I enjoy the steering feel when in ECO mode. So I use ECO and manually shift the car as I want. Kind of best of both words... just wishing for the paddle shifters :p

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Its DC.... even my Prius was a gas guzzler in that commute.

Your engine is still breaking in. But, I would think that any 'major metro' commute would break it in quickly.
Get the oil/filter changed now... and use a full synthetic.

A/C toll will be felt in the MPG.

Use 35psi cold all around, preferably with a quality tire gauge.

Not much can be done concerning MPG with driving style and city/traffic commute..... A hybrid should be considered when its time to trade in.

Your MPG is the same that I get with my 4-cyl cars in the NYC, Miami, Atlanta, and Denver commute... My MPG improved drastically when I moved away from big city populous.

Install an engine timer, or track commute times vs miles driven. Once you understand your average MPH and your commute, you'll understand better why your MPG is low.

I don't know too many "Victorias" that can answer a tire PSI question.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I get about 14-15 MPG on Average on City Driving and City+Highway combined about 20-23 MPG...
Do you think this is unusually low as in having possible issues?
Yes, that's too low I think, unless you're stuck in traffic a lot. But a too rich running engine would trip a CEL.

You should plan a hwy trip that will use a tank or two and do the math calculation for mileage. The dash "average" miles/gal may not be too accurate.

I get 33 - 36 hwy at least from the dash indicator. Mileage should be done over time with many data points to get a good "average". New car mileage will be slightly worse until break-in.

Are you using 5w-20?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Victoria Lee, My 2018 is the regular engine. I have 4800 miles on mine and have been getting the same mileage from the start. And I have not had the original oil changed. Make time to take yours to the dealer.

·
Registered
289 Posts
U S or imperial gal?? :wink::wink:
Would assume US since most of the post here are from North America but since you wonder the answer would be 1.64 US gallons per 62.13 US miles or 1.37 imperial gallons per 100 km :nerd::grin2:

·
Registered
313 Posts
NOBODY uses the Imperial Gallon. (One fifth larger than the US Gallon). (Imperial; 160 oz: US; 128 oz: Oz the same In both systems). Canada switched to liters (litres) almost 50 years ago. Not sure about the U.K., but I've been told by some Britts that you can still find some pumps calibrated in (imperial) Gallons, but few and far between.

The WHOLE WORLD except us is metric. That must tell you something.

BTW: Our Canadian friends did the metric change correctly. (When Canada announced they were switching, you would have thought the world was coming to an end). What Canada did was:

First year, "Soft Conversion". Temperatures, volumes, etc. first in English measurements, then in Metric.

Second year, "Hard Conversion". Temperaturs, volumes, etc. first in Metric measurements, then in English measurements.

Third year, only Metric.

Metric is so much easier, vice the archaic system we presently use.
I guess we Americans are just too lazy to learn the easier system. (Not you and me - the other guys <grin>)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts