Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wrote down the mileage and figured it with a calculator. The MPG meter on the dash said 29.5 MPGs, which sadly, is not what I'm getting. I wonder if they put that there to make people too lazy to figure it out that they get close to 30 MPGs?

I added 9.86 gallons and drove 259.5 miles this tank = 26.31 MPGs actual, mostly around town but maybe 70 miles of it were highway.

With my 2003 Nissan Sentra I got 30 around town, so I lost 4 MPGs with the bigger Elantra. Close to the same with my old 09 Accent HB. But the Elantra is bigger, more comfortable, and safer. The Accent was a little like a pregnant roller skate. I'd hate to get in a wreck in that.

With the Sentra I refilled at about 295-300 miles with about the same amount of gas. The good news is, that the 4000 +/- miles I drive in a year, the Elantra only costs me about 1 gallon of gas more per month, which comes to about $31 a year. That's not bad for having a bigger car. I'd be nuts to trade it in for a car that gets a few more MPGs.

Changed the oil & filter last week. I decided to run Pennzoil conv 5w20 and this time I used a Fram PH9688 filter. From now on I plan to run only conventional, name brand oil of PZ, Castrol, Mobil, or Valvoline. It holds up real good and just seems to feel like it has higher oil pressure, plus it cleans the engine as you drive it.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
if it is CONSISTENTLY inaccurate, like ours is, then it still is a good tool. i know our cars are both about 2.5mpg high. but then, i never refer to the dash mpg, i always calculate it when i fill up, then reset the trip back to 0. when trip gets to 300, i know it is time to fill, and it will take about 10 gallons

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Driving short trips is a real mileage killer with my 2017 Elantra. Highway is where it excels. I had a 93 Sentra and a 99 Saturn before the Elantra. Best highway mileage was around 34 mpg for both cars hand calculated. Same trip 70 miles away with Elantra was 48.5 mpg per computer. Now, lets say it is 4 miles off. The Elantra still gets about 10 mpg more on that trip.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My Tucson displayed tank average consistently reads about 8% higher than measured.
I consider the dash mpg and miles to empty displays to be mostly entertainment.

Reactions: Cubby

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
average vs actual

One tells you what you're averaging during the last x number of miles.

The other tells you what you actually got since the last fill up.

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
How accurate are the odo and speedo compared to the GPS? This was off on my Gen Coupe as well as the mileage estimates. But I got bigger tires, which corrected the speedo and helped the mileage average be more realistic. Generally within 1 mpg now. Odo is off by 1.05% though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
average vs actual

One tells you what you're averaging during the last x number of miles.

The other tells you what you actually got since the last fill up.
The Avg MPG resets when I fill it up.
Before I reset trip meter A, I write it down, then divide into that, the total gallons added. The calculator method is always accurate. The computer MPG meter is not, at least not on my car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How accurate are the odo and speedo compared to the GPS? This was off on my Gen Coupe as well as the mileage estimates. But I got bigger tires, which corrected the speedo and helped the mileage average be more realistic. Generally within 1 mpg now. Odo is off by 1.05% though.
I don't know. I don't have GPS.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Driving short trips is a real mileage killer with my 2017 Elantra. Highway is where it excels. I had a 93 Sentra and a 99 Saturn before the Elantra. Best highway mileage was around 34 mpg for both cars hand calculated. Same trip 70 miles away with Elantra was 48.5 mpg per computer. Now, lets say it is 4 miles off. The Elantra still gets about 10 mpg more on that trip.
So true. This generation Elantra really shines in highway MPGs. The trouble is, I don't have much need for road trips any more. :) I should make some road trips just so I can take advantage of the great gas mileage. ;)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Do your cold tire pressures match those on driver door placard? Are tires and wheels OEM size?

Reactions: Cubby

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do your cold tire pressures match those on driver door placard? Are tires and wheels OEM size?
Pretty close. I have Hankook Optimo tires with about 75% tread left on them, stock alloy wheels and nitrogen in all 4 tires. They top off the nitrogen about 2x a year. I'm usually only down about 1-2 PSI. The longer the nitrogen is in them, the more they seem to seal up and hold air better.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Pretty close. I have Hankook Optimo tires with about 75% tread left on them, stock alloy wheels and nitrogen in all 4 tires. They top off the nitrogen about 2x a year. I'm usually only down about 1-2 PSI. The longer the nitrogen is in them, the more they seem to seal up and hold air better.
Nitrogen still expands and contracts with ambient temperature. I just increased 4 PSI from 55f to 90f. I check tire pressure weekly and adjust to spec.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts