Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2010 SF in mid August. Since then, I have been getting really bad mileage, usually about 13-14mpg city and under 20mpg on hwy. I don't have a lead foot at all. The dealer said that this sometimes happened but should go away after the first 2000 miles. I am coming up on 4000 miles and still have the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Wow...that is pretty bad. My current tank is averaging 20.3 in mixed driving and even when it was brand new, I never got under 17. That being said, my old '04 Santa Fe would not get any better than 14 mpg until it hit 10,000 miles so I might give it some more time to see if it comes around.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
In the city most people know to avoid tromping the gas pedal, but braking is probably your biggest enemy. Go easy on the brakes, and city mpg will improve significantly.

On the highway, aerodynamics are your biggest enemy. Especially in a 4,000-pound brick, every increment beyond 55 mph causes the Arabs to open another bottle of champagne.

Beyond that, keep your tires properly inflated, your roof rack crossbars in the garage, and your mother-in-law out of the trunk. :grin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (godhead7 @ Nov 5 2010, 10:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369374
I picked up a 2010 SF in mid August. Since then, I have been getting really bad mileage, usually about 13-14mpg city and under 20mpg on hwy. I don't have a lead foot at all. The dealer said that this sometimes happened but should go away after the first 2000 miles. I am coming up on 4000 miles and still have the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Have a 2010 as well getting 21 in town and 26 highway @ 70-75.May have gotten as low as 19 when new.Yours shold be better then that.Sounds like a vehicle problem.

·
Registered
136 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Nov 6 2010, 04:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369440
In the city most people know to avoid tromping the gas pedal, but braking is probably your biggest enemy. Go easy on the brakes, and city mpg will improve significantly.

On the highway, aerodynamics are your biggest enemy. Especially in a 4,000-pound brick, every increment beyond 55 mph causes the Arabs to open another bottle of champagne.

Beyond that, keep your tires properly inflated, your roof rack crossbars in the garage, and your mother-in-law out of the trunk. :grin:
How much difference with removing the crossbars make? I have to struggle to get 23 or 24 mpg, mostly highway driving. I tend to drive very conservatively, coast when I can, avoid brakes, around 60-65 on highway. My previous vehicle had a bigger 6cyl engine, was rated 1 mpg lower, and I could easily get 30mpg.

I've noticed something interesting too, when downshifting at about 28mph there seems to be "drag" on the car and it slows down much faster, then at about 18mph it shifts again and coasts better. This is with foot off the accelerator. Sometimes I can be coasting downhill and loosing speed! I've never seen a vehicle do this before.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (Ken B @ Dec 4 2010, 03:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376928
How much difference with removing the crossbars make? I have to struggle to get 23 or 24 mpg, mostly highway driving. I tend to drive very conservatively, coast when I can, avoid brakes, around 60-65 on highway. My previous vehicle had a bigger 6cyl engine, was rated 1 mpg lower, and I could easily get 30mpg.

I've noticed something interesting too, when downshifting at about 28mph there seems to be "drag" on the car and it slows down much faster, then at about 18mph it shifts again and coasts better. This is with foot off the accelerator. Sometimes I can be coasting downhill and loosing speed! I've never seen a vehicle do this before.

Some people have claimed more than 10% increase in fuel consumption simply by adding an empty roof rack. ie: http://www.metrompg.com/posts/roof-racks.htm. While a Santa Fe's crossbars probably wouldn't make this much difference, they most certainly will make some difference.

Regarding deceleration drag, are you talking about manually downshifting the gears or just taking your foot off the gas in "D"? There shouldn't be much noticeable drag while coasting in "D", but while manually downshifting there can be significant drag.

·
Registered
136 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Dec 4 2010, 02:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376938
Some people have claimed more than 10% increase in fuel consumption simply by adding an empty roof rack. ie: http://www.metrompg.com/posts/roof-racks.htm. While a Santa Fe's crossbars probably wouldn't make this much difference, they most certainly will make some difference.

Regarding deceleration drag, are you talking about manually downshifting the gears or just taking your foot off the gas in "D"? There shouldn't be much noticeable drag while coasting in "D", but while manually downshifting there can be significant drag.
Taking my foot off in "D". I believe it's in either 3rd or maybe 2nd gear. I'm kind of wondering if this has to do with the Shiftronic thing or maybe that's just a marketing gimmick anyway.

That's quite the article on roof racks. I plan on observing my mpg at various speeds and grades of gas to see where I can save the most, but put it off until I know it's broken in which is should be now (1400mi). I have a good stretch on the highway I plan on using and I will post results when available. Once I determine what speed I can reasonably drive at I'll remove crossbars and repeat.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I find this car really gets away from you if you coast. When I leave my house there is a good 3/4 mile downhill stretch and if I leave it in D and don't touch the brakes, I'll easily hit 60 before I'm halfway down it. And that's not good considering the speed limit is 45 on that stretch. Usually I'll kick it into sport mode and shift down to 5th or 4th to get a little resistance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm babysitting our son's family '09 3.3l Santa Fe while they're stationed overseas. It came up for an OC, and I changed from (presumably) 5W-20 to 5W-30 (both of which are given as options in the manual). The mileage went straight to ****, from 22-23 on the highway to 18-19. I don't drive it much, so I'll change back to 5W-20 come Spring.

·
Registered
136 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Dec 4 2010, 11:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377039
I find this car really gets away from you if you coast. When I leave my house there is a good 3/4 mile downhill stretch and if I leave it in D and don't touch the brakes, I'll easily hit 60 before I'm halfway down it. And that's not good considering the speed limit is 45 on that stretch. Usually I'll kick it into sport mode and shift down to 5th or 4th to get a little resistance.
I'm mostly referring to smaller hills, nothing big like that here. I think I'm going to try not letting it downshift and see what happens. Should I find a hill that works like yours, I'm guessing downshifting would be better than hitting the brake as far as mpg is concerned?

·
Registered
69 Posts
QUOTE (Ken B @ Dec 5 2010, 12:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377109
I'm mostly referring to smaller hills, nothing big like that here. I think I'm going to try not letting it downshift and see what happens. Should I find a hill that works like yours, I'm guessing downshifting would be better than hitting the brake as far as mpg is concerned?
We get about 450-500km's or 280-310 miles per tank 6.6km-7.3km per liter or 15.5-17mpg in our 4 cylinder that is on its third transmission. I kind of thought this was a lot too, glad to see I'm not the only one. I'd be interested to know what those with a V6 and V6 4WD get as we're looking at one of these for a replacement for our lemon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (jumbjones @ Dec 5 2010, 05:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377205
We get about 450-500km's or 280-310 miles per tank 6.6km-7.3km per liter or 15.5-17mpg in our 4 cylinder that is on its third transmission. I kind of thought this was a lot too, glad to see I'm not the only one. I'd be interested to know what those with a V6 and V6 4WD get as we're looking at one of these for a replacement for our lemon.
We have a V6 AWD 2011 Santa Fe, with crossbars on all the time. Use mostly Costco 87 octane gas. Not sure of oil weight... probably 5W20. Swapped out OEM tires after 300mi for something a little more snow aggressive (make & model escaping me) but still All Season M+S. @ ~4000mi we are getting ~20.2 mgp mixed and ~23-24 mpg Hwy @ 70-75mph with the vehicle typically pretty full. Was hoping to see something closer to 26 mpg on the hwy. Am sure that summer tires would make that more likely.

·
Registered
136 Posts
QUOTE (demolition @ May 22 2011, 03:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=449300
We have a V6 AWD 2011 Santa Fe, with crossbars on all the time. Use mostly Costco 87 octane gas. Not sure of oil weight... probably 5W20. Swapped out OEM tires after 300mi for something a little more snow aggressive (make & model escaping me) but still All Season M+S. @ ~4000mi we are getting ~20.2 mgp mixed and ~23-24 mpg Hwy @ 70-75mph with the vehicle typically pretty full. Was hoping to see something closer to 26 mpg on the hwy. Am sure that summer tires would make that more likely.
Try slowing it down to 55-60mph on the highway and you'll get that mileage. I keep it at 55, stay in the right lane, relax, don't worry about cops with radar, and get 30+ now that the weather warmed up. I have the 2010 2.4 AWD but you should see a huge improvement if you drop the speed.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (santafe2010NB @ May 23 2011, 05:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=449923
i got 2010 V6 AWD and i get 500 km to a full tank of gas and winter time i was just barely doin 400-425 km
Yes, but what do you mean by full tank? Filled when just this side of 19.8 gallons are required to fill it? When the DTE indication goes to "---" at 30 miles and you drive another 30? When the DTE first goes to "---"? When the low fuel light lights up? There's about 4.5 US gallons difference across that range of options!

·
Registered
947 Posts
That's the beauty of my 2008 GLS AWD 2.7L if you wanna call it that! Drive it how ever you want, where ever you want and I still average ~19mpg in the winter and ~22mpg in the summer being geared so low with the 4spd auto. My mostly hywy commute to work takes me to 75mph for long stretches as well. I can try ~62mph and still not do better than ~22mpg per tank.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (canderson @ May 23 2011, 06:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=449974
Yes, but what do you mean by full tank? Filled when just this side of 19.8 gallons are required to fill it? When the DTE indication goes to "---" at 30 miles and you drive another 30? When the DTE first goes to "---"? When the low fuel light lights up? There's about 4.5 US gallons difference across that range of options!
The 2010 tank is smaller than the '07-'09 tank by two gallons. It's rated for 17.94 gallons instead of 19.8.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ May 24 2011, 03:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=450319
The 2010 tank is smaller than the '07-'09 tank by two gallons. It's rated for 17.94 gallons instead of 19.8.
Ah - I didn't think that kicked in until 2011. Are you certain about that for 2010? I've seen 19.8 U.S. gallons mentioned for the 2010 in every site that spec's the fuel capacity, with the lower number always showing up (usually just called 18.0) starting with the 2011s.

Doesn't the same question apply, though? How does the OP define "full tank". At what point is he declaring it "empty"? Aren't the gauge and DTE info just as pessimistic on the newer models?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts