Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting up a new thread for the HSH as the other one is prior update and no longer applies.

Here is the old thread before the Update

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/130869-mpg-so-far.html

If you haven't got your Update for your 2011 or 2012 you are missing out on a better performing car

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/162191-new-multi-ecu-update.html

They couldn't find any of the jerkiness I told them about but they went ahead and applied the new flash.

On the way home I got the same 39 mpg for 10.5 miles from the dealer so I wanted to check my longer test track. I went another 15 miles and reset the mpg, a/c set at 74 deg, tires @40psi CC set @55 mph and a few miles @45 mph. This 15 mile rolling hill run only had 2 stops and it would stay in EV up to 25 mph. Saw it go over 60 mpg a couple of times. I got 43.7 mpg for this same run back in Dec. Make sure you give your service rep a 10 for this one.

A picture is worth a 1,00 words

2 Pictures are better

·
Registered
65 Posts
New car. Two fill ups so far. Averaging 38.9 in very mixed traffic.

FWIW: I only average 31mpg on the same drive in my Elantra.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've been driving my 2013 limited since May. It replaced a 2011 Ultimate. So far I have got a 38+ on mixes driving, a 41+ and a 42+ on a long highway trip doing just over 70, and a 40 with mostly highway. The current tank is showing about 36.5 with only < 10 mile trips to work and back.

To compare: My 2011 usually got 33-35 with driving to work or mixed driving (summer). For highways I usually got around 37 and only once in the two years I drove it did I break 38 on a tank. Winter of course was worse. I'll be interested in seeing how the 2013 compares in winter mpg.

Another difference has been in Eco points. I had 351 after 2 years and 17,700 miles. So far I have 74 in just over 2 months and 2000 miles.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Wayne G recently posted a graph with his 2013 vehicle mpg/mph displayed. Any hybrid driver willing to stick close to 55 mph will get great mpg...and that's my experience as well. I consider 61 mph my target unless traffic flow dictates more speed.
Those doing 70-75...:eek:

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Wayne G recently posted a graph with his 2013 vehicle mpg/mph displayed. Any hybrid driver willing to stick close to 55 mph will get great mpg...and that's my experience as well. I consider 61 mph my target unless traffic flow dictates more speed.
Those doing 70-75...:eek:
Wayne's Steady state mph/mpg runs - each speed was 17 miles flat freeway with CC on and A/C off

50 mph - 58.5 mpg
55 mph - 55.7 mpg
60 mph - 51.8 mpg
65 mph - 46.7 mpg
70 mph - 40.3 mpg

My runs for 12 miles of rolling hills with CC on and A/C at 74 deg

65 MPH - 43.6 MPG
60 MPH - 43.7 MPG
57 MPH - 52.3 MPG
55 MPH - 55.9 MPG (45-55 MPH different hwy for 10 miles)

As you can see if you can possibly go below 60 you can get almost 10 more MPG's.

If you feel your HSH isn't up to par run your own test and compare it to ours. Make sure you start your test after at least a 15 minute ICE warn-up. Set your CC after up to speed then reset your instant MPG display and drive for at least 10 miles.

·
Registered
65 Posts
55-60 will get you killed on the freeway in SoCal :laughing:

70-80 is fairly normal. Or 17mph in traffic.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
55-60 will get you killed on the freeway in SoCal :laughing:

70-80 is fairly normal. Or 17mph in traffic.
You need to move out here by me in TN where we have lot's of 30, 45, and 55 psl. LOL :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Does anyone on here routinely get 50+mpg each tank? I'm just curious because Wayne G and others report these mpg's on this car, however, these are like controlled tests and experimental rides. WG said that he thought any '13 HSH driver could easily get above the EPA rating, and with some focus, could also get 50+mpg. Personally, I get above the EPA rating easily (usually 41-45mpg), however, I find it very hard to believe that I could get 50+ overall. I think I'm a pretty good fuel-thrifty driver, using the techniques that are most effective, but I just don't see how it's possible to break 50 mpg average (of course at certain times/roads I do break even up to 70, however I'm talking about the tank avg).

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone on here routinely get 50+mpg each tank? I'm just curious because Wayne G and others report these mpg's on this car, however, these are like controlled tests and experimental rides. WG said that he thought any '13 HSH driver could easily get above the EPA rating, and with some focus, could also get 50+mpg. Personally, I get above the EPA rating easily (usually 41-45mpg), however, I find it very hard to believe that I could get 50+ overall. I think I'm a pretty good fuel-thrifty driver, using the techniques that are most effective, but I just don't see how it's possible to break 50 mpg average (of course at certain times/roads I do break even up to 70, however I'm talking about the tank avg).
There are only about 2 members on here that report 47 mpg avg per tank. Most report 33-36 mpg and few 37-43 mpg. Wayne uses extreme measures like no A/C (cracks driver side and R rear window 1" for ventilation), no CC, useually drives below the PSL and many other things. Your 41-45 mpg is well above the average HSH driver.:) If you want to see 50+ mpg you should try 57 mph for your commute. If possible try finding an alternate road off the freeway.

I'm looking to break 60 mpg on a test run someday.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. If that's the case, then I'm doing just fine on my avg mpg's compared to others. However, just today, my avg mpg went to 46.3 mpg as I went up and then down a canyon. I'm thoroughly convinced that hilly roads are by far the HSH's best terrain. Long, flat, freeways are where it lags in mpg because it's pretty much just like a normal car (there is no significant source to charge the battery and then use it like there is when you go down hills or stop).

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for the clarification. If that's the case, then I'm doing just fine on my avg mpg's compared to others. However, just today, my avg mpg went to 46.3 mpg as I went up and then down a canyon. I'm thoroughly convinced that hilly roads are by far the HSH's best terrain. Long, flat, freeways are where it lags in mpg because it's pretty much just like a normal car (there is no significant source to charge the battery and then use it like there is when you go down hills or stop).
I love the mountains too:):)

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-s...1-6-mpg-avg-after-66-mile-downhill-drive.html

·
Registered
543 Posts
Here are my latest tanks - all calculated of course. My Average MPG display on the dash for all of these tanks was in the 43 -46 MPG range. In general the display on my car is about 2-3 MPG on the high side compared to actual.

miles, gallons, mpg
644, 15.354, 41.943
593, 15.102, 39.266
603, 14.641, 41.186
610, 15.205, 40.118
601, 14.985, 40.107
612, 14.409, 42.473
547, 14.208, 38.499
620, 13.674, 45.342

Haven't had the 13-FL-004 Multi ECU update yet. Kind of afraid I'll loose my current Blue Drive if I have it done.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haven't had the 13-FL-004 Multi ECU update yet. Kind of afraid I'll loose my current Blue Drive if I have it done.
Eric, you will loose ICE off when coasting in N if you have it done and that was a real big deal with Wayne. Otherwise I am happy with the update.:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
3 tanks since I got the update. 43, 41, and 45. Most of my commute is highway and the three prior to the update were 41, 43, and 45. So I don't think I am seeing a difference post update in mileage, although I am seeing other changes.

But I ain't complainin' :D

·
Registered
543 Posts
Eric, you will loose ICE off when coasting in N if you have it done and that was a real big deal with Wayne. Otherwise I am happy with the update.:)
So after the update if let off the gas and I'm gliding in D to a stop sign (in EV) and then half way to the stop sign I shift to N, the ICE will start up while I'm coasting in neutral??? Really???

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So after the update if let off the gas and I'm gliding in D to a stop sign (in EV) and then half way to the stop sign I shift to N, the ICE will start up while I'm coasting in neutral??? Really???
After the update when you shift into N while in EV the ICE will start up and charge the battery. So you waste gas while coasting in N if you have a good charge already. If you use N a lot and your car isn't jerky or sluggish you are probably better off not getting the update. But on the other hand I got better gas mileage in Black Drive with my last test's? :confused: We need some more members out there testing as I can't get the car that often to run different test runs.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Eric1r, I think you can still get great gas mileage after the update. It'll probably benefit you more except during those times that you would shift N. But for most people, who don't want to bother with going N every glide, it works equal/better from what I read online. I have brand new 2013, which will kick on ICE when in N, but look at my new Fuelly tag for my MPG. I think it's pretty respectable for an average commuter.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Eric1r, I think you can still get great gas mileage after the update. It'll probably benefit you more except during those times that you would shift N. But for most people, who don't want to bother with going N every glide, it works equal/better from what I read online. I have brand new 2013, which will kick on ICE when in N, but look at my new Fuelly tag for my MPG. I think it's pretty respectable for an average commuter.
That is good! That's more than just a difference in software though. Wishing I had your 2013 hardware (battery and EV motor)!

·
Registered
198 Posts
True, I am grateful that I waited on getting a hybrid until more of the hardware issues were upgraded. It's probably also a function of the commute that I take. However, even though I have a larger capacity battery than you, I don't (on a daily basis) fill the entire battery up, so it would be my guess that it doesn't have much to do with the better MPG. Do you know the power output difference in the 2013 motor vs previous one?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
True, I am grateful that I waited on getting a hybrid until more of the hardware issues were upgraded. It's probably also a function of the commute that I take. However, even though I have a larger capacity battery than you, I don't (on a daily basis) fill the entire battery up, so it would be my guess that it doesn't have much to do with the better MPG. Do you know the power output difference in the 2013 motor vs previous one?
Wayne's first look at the 2013 HSH. 4/26/13

Superior Township, Michigan -- At the regional introduction and drive event for the all new 2013 Santa FE and mechanically updated 2013 Sonata Hybrid, Hyundai went to great lengths to detail the Sonata Hybrids improved fuel economy and drivability prowess along with the company’s new fuel economy strategy.

Within the Sonata Hybrid technical presented by Brandon Ramirez, Hyundai’s’ Senior Group Manager, Product Planning, the Hybrid drivetrain was significantly updated with a more powerful 35 kW traction motor (30 kW previously), more powerful Hybrid Starter Generator (8.5 kW to 10.5 kW), and a more powerful and lighter Li-Po chemistry traction battery (96 to 91 pounds and 47 kW from 34 kW output). In addition, an improved regenerative braking strategy, decreased friction within the automatic transmission and a quicker automatic transmission fluid warm-up time all together provide more “real world fuel economy” than the sum of its parts would predict. Regarding the city/highway fuel economy label, the 2013 results improved by 5.9% and 2.6% respectively over the 2012 model.

The difference between the 2011-2012 and the 2013 from Wayne

Drop another 2 MPG on the drive to the City of Chicago and maybe 4 or 5 MPG from the maximum drive as a guess?

I would need both to do a side by side again but the new one has a stronger and quicker charging HSG. The range of SoC during the P&G'ing the Li-Po cycle is also much tighter. From 5/8 to 13/16 and it cycles about every 20 seconds while on the Interstate. I sort of remember the 2011/2012 going out to maybe 45 seconds and from 9/16 to 133/16th per the SoC mimic?

Hyundai: Real World Fuel Economy Improved To Meet Expectations, Not a Window Sticker - CleanMPG Forums

1 - 20 of 49 Posts