Hyundai Forums banner

461 - 480 of 483 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
i get now around 21mgp around town. Would that be normal? It's 100 degrees here in Texas so AC is a must.
Depends on so many things:
How long are your trips?
Does your car sit out in the sun?
How bad is the start/stop traffic?
etc.

I have gotten low 20's in town for short 5 minute trips in the summer here in Phoenix. The AC can use a lot of power if it wants too.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Depends on so many things:
How long are your trips?
Does your car sit out in the sun?
How bad is the start/stop traffic?
etc.

I have gotten low 20's in town for short 5 minute trips in the summer here in Phoenix. The AC can use a lot of power if it wants too.
Trips are around 40 mins. Sometimes more sometimes less. Houston traffic is bad bad. Today had hit 103F. Lets say most of the times i leave the ac in 2 with the MAX AC on for about 15 minutes. Then if it gets pleasant enough lower it to 1. A couple months ago i used to do lots of highway driving and a full tank would give me around 340miles of range, now i only get 270ish:|

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
i get now around 21mgp around town. Would that be normal? It's 100 degrees here in Texas so AC is a must.
I dunno how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember if you got 14MPG in town that gave you bragging rights.

Of course, if you got 8MPG in town, you got bragging rights, too! ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just got my best gas mileage yet on a round trip to the coast. Drove down last week, came back today, it sat while I was there, and for 298 miles of 90% highway it was 37.2 mpg. Of course the computer was reading 39.4. Maybe at 21 K miles it's finally getting broken in, or it's just that very few hills were involved. I did keep to the speed limit most of the time.

Geoff

·
Registered
51 Posts
I turned off eco mode on my 2014 6 speed GT and, after two weeks of regular driving and one long trip, have seen a noticeable improvement in my MPG readings for my regular commute and highway mileage on the trip I took. Was averaging 27-29 for my regular commute/driving around town and now seeing 30-32 MPG. On my trip I saw as high as 38 MPG for a portion of the trip with a lot of flat terrain and downhills. I ended up averaging around 36 due to some long steep grades and roadways with a higher speed limit where I was cruising at 76 MPH. I never used the shift indicators in eco because I felt the prompted me to shift too early and, because I thought that was all that eco mode was on the manual, I never turned it off until a few weeks ago. I am happy with the increased mileage that I'm getting and the car feels more lively as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I turned off eco mode on my 2014 6 speed GT and, after two weeks of regular driving and one long trip, have seen a noticeable improvement in my MPG readings for my regular commute and highway mileage on the trip I took. Was averaging 27-29 for my regular commute/driving around town and now seeing 30-32 MPG. ....... I am happy with the increased mileage that I'm getting and the car feels more lively as well.
After reading this yesterday:

At Which Revolutions Per Minute Should One Shift Gears in a Manual Transmission Automobile

I believe that the programmed shift points in Eco may just be wrong. Compound that with the thought that, to me, when I see the light, I think I'm shifting too late....so in reality, I'm shifting even earlier than I should.
Shifting later will make the car feel more lively. One, you'll probably shift later than the light would tell you to (I know I would). It also eliminates the theory that Eco is more than just a shift indicator. I believe it is just a shift indicator...however, that shift indicator is just wrong.

Changing for me won't make much difference because most of my drive is freeway and I ignore it when getting on the freeway. It may, increase my mileage and enjoyment of driving in the city if for no other reason, I'm not trying to beat the indicator. YMMV
:wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I live in Monterrey, Mexico. I just got a new 2016 AT Elantra, with the base 1.8L engine. I've barely crosed the 750km mark, I've filled the tank 2 times, each time I traveled 300KM with 40L of gas. There are some not so heavy hills and I travel relatively short distances, only city driving. I try to not rev the car when in traffic, cruise along to prevent having to stop at the red lights.

In short, I've been very light footed with my car. So far, it's only giving me 300km before having to refill. That is 13.3L/100KM. Is that normal for short commutes with some hills? I feel that the car should be changing gear sooner to rev itself down. I sometimes want to use the autostick to change speed, but the car won't allow me to shift up until I reach certain speed. BTW, this car doesn't have the ECO button. Is there something I could do to get more out of the car? Could I ask for a transmission reprogramming? I was expecting to get more like 400KM out of the tank. Is that too much for city driving?

Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi, I live in Monterrey, Mexico. I just got a new 2016 AT Elantra, with the base 1.8L engine. I've barely crosed the 750km mark, I've filled the tank 2 times, each time I traveled 300KM with 40L of gas. There are some not so heavy hills and I travel relatively short distances, only city driving. I try to not rev the car when in traffic, cruise along to prevent having to stop at the red lights.

In short, I've been very light footed with my car. So far, it's only giving me 300km before having to refill. That is 13.3L/100KM. Is that normal for short commutes with some hills? I feel that the car should be changing gear sooner to rev itself down. I sometimes want to use the autostick to change speed, but the car won't allow me to shift up until I reach certain speed. BTW, this car doesn't have the ECO button. Is there something I could do to get more out of the car? Could I ask for a transmission reprogramming? I was expecting to get more like 400KM out of the tank. Is that too much for city driving?

Thanks
Something not right there......dragging brake? On a bad day may be 10L/100km. You should be seeing around 8.5-9.0L/100km city and about 7.0-8.0L/100km open road. Take it back and ask them to see if there is issues with binding brakes or something that could be affecting the economy. Have you got a trip meter that indicates a computed reading?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Something not right there......dragging brake? On a bad day may be 10L/100km. You should be seeing around 8.5-9.0L/100km city and about 7.0-8.0L/100km open road. Take it back and ask them to see if there is issues with binding brakes or something that could be affecting the economy. Have you got a trip meter that indicates a computed reading?
I only use the in car trip stats and write down my traveled distance, liters purchased when refueling. I'll definitely take it to the dealership asking for an inspection. Has the binding brakes problem occured to other people before?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi homer, no the binding brakes is not a known or common fault. These cars are extremely reliable. It's just the thing I can think of that could be driving up the fuel burn. Another could be the start sequence which involved the extra firing of the injectors at start up to prime the cat converter. Maybe its staying on all the time?

·
Registered
1 Posts
MPG decreasing and MPG reporting

2013 Elantra GT - use 87 octane

I have traveled the same route for past two years more or less to and from work. Not only have I noticed that the MPG has significantly dropped since the last two oil changes but the manner that the display reads the MPG has changed as well. This is my second 2013 Elantra GT first one was totaled in an accident - that car was eligible for the MPG lawsuit rebate. The current one I have had since April 2014.

Hyundai reduced the MPG on the vehicle sticker from 39 highway to 37 - not much of a change but enough to comply with the terms of the lawsuit. I now struggle to maintain 31MPG even though my driving habits/patters is the same for my 22 mile one way commute. I use to see on average 35-36 MPG but again now I struggle to get 31.x. The issues started about 15,000 miles ago (oil change every 7,500 miles), I noticed the mileage creeping down after every gas up and the MPG creeping down and furthermore an issue that could have only been done deliberately and without my knowledge or permission was a change on my cars computer for the gas MPG readout. Both Elantra's that I owned would always report immediately upon gas up max MPG (38) and would level down to balance around 35-36 highway and slightly lower for city but usually no less that 32-33 MPG on average for heavy traffic driving. Now the computer starts at a ZERO MPG rating and slowly goes up until it balances out at the 31.x. I caution all drivers to see or recall if they can confirm their vehicles are now doing this. I find this a bit underhanded to be honest.

Hope you found this useful.

Tim D. - Louisiana

·
Registered
20 Posts
I plan on keeping track of my mpg for the first month or so. Mainly just out of curiosity, but also to get a baseline for when / if I add some mods.

Filled up when the car was nearly empty. Maybe two bars left on the fuel gauge. I always try to go for Top Tier rated fuel, like Shell or BP. Just normal 87 / 89 octane (whatever is cheapest). Got 32.5mpg according to the car computer. Not bad at all. :) Though I've been driving the car rather friendly, since it has less than 1000 miles.

I do a mix of 35mph town driving, and 55mph highways, with maybe a hint of 65mph interstate once in a while. Nice fall weather- cool mornings with warm afternoons.

Sure beats the 17 city / 24mpg highway from my Tiburon!

edit- I haven't messed with "eco mode" button.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I get between 31-34 mpgs on a full tank with 50/50 city/ highway driving. City is stop and go every mile or so at about 40-50 mph. And highway is 65- 80. Im working close to home right now though and drove my first full tank with no highway driving and I got 27 mpgs. That's with a manual trans, not exceeding speed limit to much but getting up to speed the way you should... slamming gears! Haha I do love this car

·
Registered
25 Posts
Guys! I just got a 2013 Elantra GT. I just drove my first full tank and I got 16mpg!!! Mostly city driving. WTF... I live in Los Angeles. Lots of stop and go traffic here. I don't drive crazy. Is this for real? Do I need to get it checked?

·
Registered
114 Posts
How bad was the stop and go traffic? 16 seems drastically low. My worst mileage was in California on vacation last year but it was 24mpg. If i was you id drive another few tanks and see how it fluctuates. If it stays that low you probably have something going on. I know I saw a thread a while ago with a 13 owner who was getting really bad mileage consistently. It might have some useful info

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd like to leave my current fuel consumption here for others to reference.

My commute is basically from Hamilton to Oakville, Ontario, Canada (about 35-40 km one way) mainly on the highway. It's smooth sailing in the mornings (5am) but borderline stop and go on the way back (5pm). My fuel consumption over the 2 months averaged to about 7.1-7.5 L/100km (33-31 MPG roughly) mostly under ECO mode.

This is for the 2018 Hyundai Elantra GT GLS.

·
Registered
84 Posts
https://youtu.be/_bZlb62VVlw

I watched this video last week, and it completely changed my habit of coasting in neutral downhill/up to stop lights/down exit ramps, etc. For YEARS I've thought I was saving fuel by putting the vehicle in neutral and letting gravity pull the vehicle downhill, etc. My logic was that if you were in gear, you were using whatever gas would be used at that RPM (ie, coasting in neutral at 800 rpm would use less fuel than coasting in gear at 2000 rpm). Little did I know that the fuel delivery system shuts off when coasting in gear... Fascinating!

461 - 480 of 483 Posts