Hyundai Forums banner

441 - 460 of 483 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
How does she like the Mazda 3? Which model did she get? i sport, i-touring, grand touring etc.
I bought her the Sedan, GS with Convience Package. Mazda probably has different models in Canada like Hyundai does. It has aluminum wheels, navigation, push button start, heated seats, and a few other nice options. It is the 2.0L engine model and in that nice new red colour. I was at Mazda dealer the other day and they now have the new CX5. I really like it. I even consider trading in my GT for it next year. Maybe not though, I like my GT and I have done lots to it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I actually get better mileage in town than on the highway. I avoid driving during rush hour and get most lights green at 6:30 am. Avarge speed of 80km/h and I get 6.5 L/100km which is 36.1mpg. When u get on the highway and go 120km/h my economy drops significantly. I have been trying to hypermile my way around ever since I got this car. Being able to see the economy always keeps me trying. I leave the mileage indicator always on so I can see it. Now my wife is obsessed with the economy she gets in her 2015 Mazda 3 because it is supposed to be better then my GT.
Let me know how the mileage with that car goes if you ever get to drive it a lot. I'd be curious to see what mileage on both cars compares to each other with the same driver and route.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Currently I get better milage in my GT than she gets with the Mazda 3, but I think it is because she is on maternity leave right now, so she is just driving to the park and to appointments, so all the trips are short. Plus the car only has 1100 km on it so far. I would drive it a few times but she can't drive my car cause it is stick.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Currently I get better milage in my GT than she gets with the Mazda 3, but I think it is because she is on maternity leave right now, so she is just driving to the park and to appointments, so all the trips are short. Plus the car only has 1100 km on it so far. I would drive it a few times but she can't drive my car cause it is stick.
She's gotta learn someday!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just tested ECO on a clear highway 50-70km zones. I did a 55km trip and got 5.4l per 100km. With 600km on the ODD I'm happy. 7.7 was my first 550km.

·
Registered
250 Posts
How's the difference in power between the 2? I heard the Mazda's have a bit more "zoom zoom" lol.

·
Registered
681 Posts
How's the difference in power between the 2? I heard the Mazda's have a bit more "zoom zoom" lol.
Yes more zoom on the Mazda 3 for sure. I test drove a Mazda 3 with manual before I got my GT and it was much better. I went with Hyundai at the time because of price. That's why when it was time to get a new car for my wife I decided to get her the Mazda. It is a very nice car for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there, being new here I have my first question about the Elantra GT model years 2014 to 2016. I just purchased a 2014 GT Manual and I noticed that the posted Fuel Economy changes quite a bit from 2014 to the 2015/16 model. As far as I can tell they are still the exact same engine. Anyone know why the change. Sorry if this question was asked already, but this thread is 400+ posts long.

2014 Specs - City (MT) 8.5L/100 km, Hwy (MT) 5.8L/100 km, Combined (MT) 7.3L/100km
2.0L GDI 173 hp, 4-cylinder Engine with Dual Continuously Variable Valve Timing (D-CVVT)

2015 Specs - City (MT) 9.8L/100 km, Hwy (MT) 6.9L/100 km, Combined (MT) 8.5L/100km
2.0L GDI 173 hp, 4-cylinder Engine with Dual Continuously Variable Valve Timing (D-CVVT)

2016 Specs - City (MT) 9.8L/100 km, Hwy (MT) 7.1L/100 km, Combined (MT) 8.6L/100km

Thanks

·
Registered
681 Posts
That seems very strange that the numbers would change that much. I have found with my 2013 1.8L that I get better than the posted fuel economy. Judging by the specs listed in the 2015-16 I would not purchase this car. 2014 seems acceptable. As far as I know the engine did not change for these 3 years. In order for me to get 9.8L/100km on my 2013 I would have to drive the piss out of it from the moment I started the engine till I got to work to get milage that bad. Even from hard driving in the winter I have never got worse than 8.6 on a tank. I have heard others say that there is almost no difference from the 1.8 to the 2.0L in economy.

·
Registered
250 Posts
That seems very strange that the numbers would change that much. I have found with my 2013 1.8L that I get better than the posted fuel economy. Judging by the specs listed in the 2015-16 I would not purchase this car. 2014 seems acceptable. As far as I know the engine did not change for these 3 years. In order for me to get 9.8L/100km on my 2013 I would have to drive the piss out of it from the moment I started the engine till I got to work to get milage that bad. Even from hard driving in the winter I have never got worse than 8.6 on a tank. I have heard others say that there is almost no difference from the 1.8 to the 2.0L in economy.
I'm working with Hyundai to do a manufacturer buyback/lemon claim on my GT. I am getting painfully low mileage. I drove other Elantras with the same engine/transmission and got amazing mileage. In one of them, I drove a short 15 mile hwy trip with the wife and got over 40 mpg. That was me clearing the dash readout in driveway while stopped, driving the 15 miles (only stopping to turn around), then checking it when I parked and turned the engine off. Not just clearing it while already driving at hwy speed. It was like 42 mpg. In my GT, I would of got about 25 mpg for the same drive.

I average 18 mpg town, 26 mpg hwy 21-22 mpg mixed. And I drive lightly :(
I average 220 miles per tank (about 11.5 gallons each fill). 60% town, 40% hwy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2015 Specs - City (MT) 9.8L/100 km, Hwy (MT) 6.9L/100 km, Combined (MT) 8.5L/100km

2016 Specs - City (MT) 9.8L/100 km, Hwy (MT) 7.1L/100 km, Combined (MT) 8.6L/100km

Thanks[/QUOTE]

They changed how the fuel economy is measured that's all. Now its supposed to be more realistic.

All I know is that I live in a very flat area and drive very steady and I get 5.7/5.9 L, and in the middle of the winter 7.7/7.9. If I boot it add +1L in both scenarios. No city driving and basically no lights so I am not the norm. To compare I had a 2003 Honda Accord before and this was around 20% worse, however it had a 2.4 engine and was 200 lbs heavier.
Overall my 2014 manual is an amazing car and more practical than the Accord. So far so good. My average is based on 21000 kmh/s I use fuelly for my calculations I live 70 km from Montreal so its ever **** hot or unbelievable cold!!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
yes, the Government/ EPA mandated the tests and calculations changed to reflect more realistic numbers.
Still unobtainable numbers for me... lol

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Interstate MPG

Recently took a 152 mile trip. I would estimate 130 of those miles were strictly interstate (70-72mph, 112-115.87km/h). There were a couple construction zones (45-55mph, 72.5-88.5km/h) for about 10-15 miles. The rest was in town driving.

Mi - 151.9, Km - 244.5
Trip computer - 33.2 mpg, 14.11 kpl
Actual - 34.9 mpg, 14.84 kpl

I was honestly surprised at the mileage results. I expected about 30-31mpg, not 34.9! Like I said it was almost entirely interstate. This was the best I have ever recorded in this car! :smile:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Recently took a 152 mile trip. I would estimate 130 of those miles were strictly interstate (70-72mph, 112-115.87km/h). There were a couple construction zones (45-55mph, 72.5-88.5km/h) for about 10-15 miles. The rest was in town driving.

Mi - 151.9, Km - 244.5
Trip computer - 33.2 mpg, 14.11 kpl
Actual - 34.9 mpg, 14.84 kpl

I was honestly surprised at the mileage results. I expected about 30-31mpg, not 34.9! Like I said it was almost entirely interstate. This was the best I have ever recorded in this car! :smile:
Did you reset the trip meter prior to the trip? The reason I ask is if you didn't, those stat figures mean nothing because they are blended with previous trip data.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Did you reset the trip meter prior to the trip? The reason I ask is if you didn't, those stat figures mean nothing because they are blended with previous trip data.
Yes I reset the trip mileage computer and the Avg MPG resets everytime I put more than a couple gallons in the car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi justlink In that case I reckon the burn is too high at 14L/100. I did a 200k trip recently of which was ALL highway 110km/h cruise and ended up with a trip computation of 6.7l/100.

When I do a lot of in town stop and starting, it sits about 9.8L/100.

14L/100 would be racing around the street stuff!!

Wonder if the cold start function (extra injectors firing during a cold start to) is stuck ON?

How much soot is accumulating around your exhaust?

BTW I'm no expert and could be totally off with this....

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Hi justlink In that case I reckon the burn is too high at 14L/100. I did a 200k trip recently of which was ALL highway 110km/h cruise and ended up with a trip computation of 6.7l/100.

When I do a lot of in town stop and starting, it sits about 9.8L/100.

14L/100 would be racing around the street stuff!!

Wonder if the cold start function (extra injectors firing during a cold start to) is stuck ON?

How much soot is accumulating around your exhaust?

BTW I'm no expert and could be totally off with this....
I think I may have converted wrong...:laugh:
The actual turned out to be 6.74L/100
You guys and your silly metric! Hahaha

·
Registered
330 Posts
i get now around 21mgp around town. Would that be normal? It's 100 degrees here in Texas so AC is a must.

441 - 460 of 483 Posts